23 hours ago, Fumo said:

On Breakthrough, I might have missed something here too, but couldn't the Unicorn player just declare two military conflicts?

That was my original assumption as well. They have clarified that each player gets 1 Mil and 1 Pol conflict per phase. It is unknown if card effects that switch conflict type count against this limit.

What Breakthrough appears to do, along with Way of the Unicorn, is extreme tempo manipulation. These cards hint that Uni potentially goes first and uses both of their conflicts before the other player has a chance to attack at all.

This does suggest that Uni will have both Mil and Pol clout, instead of just Mil, in order to take advantage of this. If not, then hopefully conflict type switches are relatively common.

35 minutes ago, Iuchi Toshimo said:

That was my original assumption as well. They have clarified that each player gets 1 Mil and 1 Pol conflict per phase. It is unknown if card effects that switch conflict type count against this limit.

What Breakthrough appears to do, along with Way of the Unicorn, is extreme tempo manipulation. These cards hint that Uni potentially goes first and uses both of their conflicts before the other player has a chance to attack at all.

This does suggest that Uni will have both Mil and Pol clout, instead of just Mil, in order to take advantage of this. If not, then hopefully conflict type switches are relatively common.

And even if they don't, it allows them to have their choice of ring more often.

4 minutes ago, Kakita Shiro said:

And even if they don't, it allows them to have their choice of ring more often.

An aggressive clan that can't push heavily on both Military and Politics isn't very aggressive, or needs to be so overwhelmingly dangerous in one that it makes its weakness in the other not as bad.

As Lion's been promoted as the all-Military, low-Poli aggro clan, I'll be surprised if every other "military" clan isn't just as capable in politics. Unicorn appears to be shaping up as the tempo clan, making you play to their game plan, disrupting your action flow.

I'm thinking Unicorns are going to be higher military than political but unlike Lion will have the tempo initiatives like "Way for the Unicorn" or "Breakthrough" we have seen where even if they don't win the conflict (the second one in the case of Breakthrough) they've denied the opponent the ring or forced them to commit defenders they might have used to attack (since all character in a conflict are bowed at the end of the conflict). Lion though I think is going to have a lot of ways to flip more dynasty cards so that they can get more cards into play faster. I think Unicorn might also like Lion have non-unique characters (Vengeful Oathkeeper) in the conflict deck that the opponent might not expect that can be brought in to an active conflict. We also have yet to see what cards will trigger off the Calvary trait on characters (i'm guessing the Favored Mount does).

1 minute ago, Frentier said:

I'm thinking Unicorns are going to be higher military than political but unlike Lion will have the tempo initiatives like "Way for the Unicorn" or "Breakthrough" we have seen where even if they don't win the conflict (the second one in the case of Breakthrough) they've denied the opponent the ring or forced them to commit defenders they might have used to attack (since all character in a conflict are bowed at the end of the conflict). Lion though I think is going to have a lot of ways to flip more dynasty cards so that they can get more cards into play faster. I think Unicorn might also like Lion have non-unique characters (Vengeful Oathkeeper) in the conflict deck that the opponent might not expect that can be brought in to an active conflict. We also have yet to see what cards will trigger off the Calvary trait on characters (i'm guessing the Favored Mount does).

I'm expecting that Unicorn will also probably have higher cost, higher power units than Lion as well.  Lion is going for more swarm, where Unicorn will go for mid to high range stuff.  Horses are expensive to upkeep!

Just now, Mirith said:

I'm expecting that Unicorn will also probably have higher cost, higher power units than Lion as well.  Lion is going for more swarm, where Unicorn will go for mid to high range stuff.  Horses are expensive to upkeep!

I actually don't think they will cost much more on average (probably 2-3 Fate range with military 2-3 being average and political being 1-2 average though I'm a speculation train at this point), I just don't see Unicorn having access to Dynasty card flips like Lion has on Staging Grounds where with two of those holdings they can flip 6 cards in a  Dynasty phase instead of 4. I have a feeling Lion will get more like those.

1 hour ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

Hmm, that would give the Crab three different holdings.  Then again, they're said to be Holding-heavy, so 1 seems to be a small number.  Since holdings have no cost, the only way to arrange them would be alphabetically...

Seems feasible, I'll do some staring when I get a chance :D

Not sure you need to do staring; they actually provided a number in the latest article when they cited it (Borderlands Fortifications  ( Core Set, 36)).

2 minutes ago, Ser Nakata said:

Being able to declare both your conflicts before your opponent does means you get to choose two rings before he does. 

That could be pretty potent.

For Military turn, which I expect to win, I select the ring I need. Breakthrough. In political I send Shinjo Joe to take away your chance of claiming that other ring you wanted. Enjoy.

And when I am about to give you the first player token, Way of the Unicorn.

Kudos for Daidoji Nerishma being a named card. I know there was probably limited space for named characters and so many others that probably are a million times more iconic (if they still exist) from this time period, but Nerishma was a planned tribute card in Onyx Edition for someone who had passed away, so it was very decent of them to go ahead and print him. As someone who made the original Nerishma that won't see the light of day, this is the type of thing that makes me believe that the best aspects of this game community continue on in new hands.

2 hours ago, Wintersong said:

For Military turn, which I expect to win, I select the ring I need. Breakthrough. In political I send Shinjo Joe to take away your chance of claiming that other ring you wanted. Enjoy.

And when I am about to give you the first player token, Way of the Unicorn.

Wait, are we assuming that even if you lose the conflict that ring is still gone? Or is that confirmed? 

I always assumed if you didn't win the contested ring then it was still up for grabs.

7 hours ago, Zalari said:

Wait, are we assuming that even if you lose the conflict that ring is still gone? Or is that confirmed?

I always assumed if you didn't win the contested ring then it was still up for grabs.

It's not entirely clear right now, again next week's Conflict article is going to drop a lot of important information here, but right now part of the benefit of going first seems to be that because once a Ring conflict is declared it is off the table for the rest of the turn, meaning calling a Ring that might not be great for you can be used to prevent your opponent from doing certain things.

Edited by Danwarr

I thought they did say once a ring is chosen it can no longer be chosen for the rest of the Conflict phase (unsure what will happen for when the ring is changed though), I think it was in the AMA. I don't currently have the ability to go check at this time though.

1 hour ago, Tetsuro said:

Kudos for Daidoji Nerishma being a named card. I know there was probably limited space for named characters and so many others that probably are a million times more iconic (if they still exist) from this time period, but Nerishma was a planned tribute card in Onyx Edition for someone who had passed away, so it was very decent of them to go ahead and print him. As someone who made the original Nerishma that won't see the light of day, this is the type of thing that makes me believe that the best aspects of this game community continue on in new hands.

Also the missing "i"? Since Nerishima would be the proper spelling.

3 minutes ago, Yandia said:

Also the missing "i"? Since Nerishima would be the proper spelling.

If you open the picture in a separate tab, it's spelled with no "i" in the URL title.

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/a9/36/a936b233-c266-4fcc-b5d7-10dfd032aaf3/l5c01_daidoji-nerishma.png

Now, I don't know if this is because the person naming the png file couldn't read the name, because that is actually how it's spelled because I'm not sure if that's "in" or a "m", personally.

1 minute ago, Doji Makoto said:

Well, the card says "Daidoji Nerishma". Every "i" has a dot above them, so it can't be "Nerishina". That means the URL title is correct...

That's true, the "tittle" on the "i"'s and "j"'s in this script are very pronounced so his name really is "Nerishma". I wonder if that's the final print. We know FFG has multiple copies of the cards as they changed the name on the Lion Stronghold from the Announcement article.

21 minutes ago, Tetsuro said:

The character is named Nerishma since that was the name of the deceased person's character.

Good to know. In Japanese you would have a "i" followed "sh" so Nerishima would at least sound Japanese, and I can't help but pronouncing it this way.

But it makes sense that they took his name one to one. I will make sure to add this to the Trivia on the wiki. 

2 hours ago, Frentier said:

I thought they did say once a ring is chosen it can no longer be chosen for the rest of the Conflict phase (unsure what will happen for when the ring is changed though), I think it was in the AMA. I don't currently have the ability to go check at this time though.

Just checked and that is what they said on the Team Covenant interview. Huh, I guess for some reason my mind ovewrote "chosen" for "won". That's very interesting.

37 minutes ago, Yandia said:

Good to know. In Japanese you would have a "i" followed "sh" so Nerishima would at least sound Japanese, and I can't help but pronouncing it this way.

But it makes sense that they took his name one to one. I will make sure to add this to the Trivia on the wiki. 

He was an RPG character if I recall. He was a really badass card in the never released Crane Yojimbo Honor Deck, and he was also going to be the Topaz Champion. Not sure if they will keep the Topaz Champ part intact.