I hope that card distribution speculation is completely wrong.

According to that data, each core set will only carry one copy of each Clan dynasty character.

Would FFG really expect the Dragon players to buy three core sets each just to get a playset of Agasha Swordsmith?

1 hour ago, Radon Antila said:

According to that data, each core set will only carry one copy of each Clan dynasty character.

Would FFG really expect the Dragon players to buy three core sets each just to get a playset of Agasha Swordsmith?

While the card distribution speculation might be wrong on some details, it's very likely that clan-aligned cards will be one per core (perhaps a few limited factional cards might be duplicated, such as the Ways of or the Clan Province).

This is completely standard distribution for FFG for their LCGs since Netrunner, and it's to increase variability (and thus replayability) with the primary customers for their core sets -- people who will never buy another L5R product from them again, and who will not even deck build.

2 hours ago, Radon Antila said:

I will expect that will be exactly the case. You need to be able to build two decks 80 cards total from the card pool. 

Only way this will be remotely possible is when the only duplicated cards are neutral. All clan-specific cards will be single copy and that is pretty much in line with other FFG products. 3 core sets if you want full play sets.

47 minutes ago, Gaffa said:

While the card distribution speculation might be wrong on some details, it's very likely that clan-aligned cards will be one per core (perhaps a few limited factional cards might be duplicated, such as the Ways of or the Clan Province).

This is completely standard distribution for FFG for their LCGs since Netrunner, and it's to increase variability (and thus replayability) with the primary customers for their core sets -- people who will never buy another L5R product from them again, and who will not even deck build.

Just now, Yandia said:

I will expect that will be exactly the case. You need to be able to build two decks 80 cards total from the card pool. 

Only way this will be remotely possible is when the only duplicated cards are neutral. All clan-specific cards will be single copy and that is pretty much in line with other FFG products. 3 core sets if you want full play sets.

Then I fervently hope that FFG does not provide a standard distribution this time around.

I was hoping there would be at least 2 copies of the non-unique Clan characters per set, so that buying two sets would result in a complete playset of non-uniques (with one extra to give away) plus 2 copies of every unique, including the Champion. That would be the bare minimum I would call a "tournament competitive" card pool, without having a playset.

On the other hand, the standard distribution would indicate that one would need a full core playset just to have a truly tournament-competitive card pool.

Then I fervently hope that FFG does not provide a standard distribution this time around.

I was hoping there would be at least 2 copies of the non-unique Clan characters per set, so that buying two sets would result in a complete playset of non-uniques (with one extra to give away) plus 2 copies of every unique, including the Champion. That would be the bare minimum I would call a "tournament competitive" card pool, without having a playset.

On the other hand, the standard distribution would indicate that one would need a full core playset just to have a truly tournament-competitive card pool.

As unique characters are not limited at 1 per deck, but 1 in play (with still 3 possible in decks), you'd still need 3 core sets for a playset with your suggestion.

And I prefer to have a core set with around 26 different cards per clan that I need to buy 3 to have a playset than a core set with 2 of each cards (which means 1 copy is wasted when you buy your second core set for your playset) but that have only 13 different cards per clan. The deckbuilding will already be limited enough for a while with the standard distribution, with your suggestion, there wouldn't be any deckbuilding at all. Or are you suggesting that the core sets come with the double of cards (for near the double of price of course) to keep the card diversity?

Edited by KerenRhys

4 hours ago, Radon Antila said:

Look at AGOT2.0 core for what to expect.   All but 1 faction card was a singleton.   Most neutral cards were doubles.   The most used neutrals were 4x and 8 neutral cards were singletons.   Outside of giving a full play set of everything, I think this is the best model as when you buy 3 sets you don't have a lot of extra cards

Mechanically, I am concerned that Dragon, being the designated "attachment Clan", will effectively require three core sets just to function as designed, while the other clans will be viable even with just two core sets worth of Clan cards.

Financially, among my playgroup, I am the only one even considering purchasing one additional core set. If I will need a third core set just to have a third copy of Agasha Swordsmith, Ancestral Daisho and Way of the Dragon, the financially optimal move would be to just buy one core set and trade off my non-Dragon cards to the others in my playgroup who play other Clans, in order to complete my Dragon playset.

I suppose time will tell, but I also have serious reservations about the fairness of any matchup where - all other things being equal - one player has a deck restricted to cards obtainable from 2 core sets, and the other player has a deck that's been built from a complete playset of 3 core sets.

I wouldn't be surprised if the way of cards were the only two ofs from the clan specific card pools. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if you could only build partial sized decks if you needed to build two players out of one box.

12 minutes ago, Radon Antila said:

I suppose time will tell, but I also have serious reservations about the fairness of any matchup where - all other things being equal - one player has a deck restricted to cards obtainable from 2 core sets, and the other player has a deck that's been built from a complete playset of 3 core sets.

How is this different from any other card game?

29 minutes ago, Danwarr said:

How is this different from any other card game?

It's not, but FFG (during GAMA) said that only two core sets worth of cards would  be needed to be competitive, yet a deck that isn't carrying a third copy of any Clan card for consistency of the dynasty flip or conflict draw is not a competitive deck in a environment that allows third copies.

In other words, either a two-core deck will be competitive, or the core set will follow standard distribution. They cannot both be true.

19 minutes ago, Radon Antila said:

It's not, but FFG (during GAMA) said that only two core sets worth of cards would  be needed to be competitive, yet a deck that isn't carrying a third copy of any Clan card for consistency of the dynasty flip or conflict draw is not a competitive deck in a environment that allows third copies.

In other words, either a two-core deck will be competitive, or the core set will follow standard distribution. They cannot both be true.

They always say that two copies are required for competitive and three for a full play set.

I am not arguing with your logic. I actually think it is spot on. The "two boxes for competitive" is a marketing thing, nothing more nothing less. You will need to buy 3 boxes for maximum consistency.

Edited by Yandia

Your definition of competitive is not the one FFG uses.

FFG's definition of competitive effectively means "can make a legal deck" . You need 2 Cores to make a legal deck and 3 if you want a playset and actually have all of the deck construction options.

Edited by Danwarr

4 hours ago, Shu2jack said:

I'm not sure what is the problem with buying 3 cores. How much did some of us spend on MTG? And still not get all the cards we wanted in enough quantity.

The main issue continues to be the number of Core sets that players will be allowed to purchase at the convention.

There is fear, given the level of interest and support from older players of the card game, that 1)Thrre won't be enough Core sets for all of the attendees to purchase at the Con, 2)Each attendee, if/when they get the chance to purchase a Core set, will only be allowed to purchase ONLY 1 Core, thus not having enough cards to put together a feasible set. 

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. 

Edited by LordBlunt

13 minutes ago, LordBlunt said:

The main issue continues to be the number of Core sets that players will be allowed to purchase at the convention.

There is fear, given the level of interest and support from older players of the card game, that 1)Thrre won't be enough Core sets for all of the attendees to purchase at the Con, 2)Each attendee, if/when they get the chance to purchase a Core set, will only be allowed to purchase ONLY 1 Core, thus not having enough cards to put together a feasible set. 

1) might be a real problem. 2) not so much, given that attendees will mostly be able to play demo games with non-attendees between the Con and the full release; 1 Core is enough for that.

3 hours ago, LordBlunt said:

I am not sure why this is such a problem. The convention is not the official release of the game so I do not understand why everyone should be able to get multiple cores, one for each person is enough. At worst the decks in the tours will not be optimal, although if you are attending with 2 friends, you can get a playset of all dynasty cards. The decks will not be optimal anyways since there will be no time for playtesting and having a settled meta for the tours.

7 hours ago, blackheartz said:

I am not sure why this is such a problem. The convention is not the official release of the game so I do not understand why everyone should be able to get multiple cores, one for each person is enough. At worst the decks in the tours will not be optimal, although if you are attending with 2 friends, you can get a playset of all dynasty cards. The decks will not be optimal anyways since there will be no time for playtesting and having a settled meta for the tours.

You are correct. 

However, for those players who are competitive and wish to game competitively, having a single Core set to draw cards from and put together a deck is not what they figured on, since FFG did decide to hold a tournament prior to the official release of the game. 

And please understand that I'm not one of those players who are headed to the convention. I'm perfectly willing to wait fir the eventual release of the game come October or so. 

Edited by LordBlunt

28 minutes ago, LordBlunt said:

However, for those players who are competitive and wish to game competitively, having a single Core set to draw cards from and put together a deck is not what they figured on, since FFG did decide to hold a tournament prior to the official release of the game. 

Release tournaments always have strange deck building rules because they are single Core. See Kingslayer when GoT 2.0 came out.

11 hours ago, Silver Crane said:

Specifically, the GenCon release tourneys will use the deck rules in the Learn To Play Reference.  

I doubt it: the Kingslayer deckbuilding rules aren't in the LtP for AGoT2, as they were different from both out-of-the-box and standard deckbuilding rules. Also, the standard deckbuilding rules are in the LtP (near the end), not in the Rules Reference. So I expect a custom format like Kingslayer.

They have already announced that deck building will be modified from standard for the launch events at Gencon, to accommodate single core per person.

Three cores will allow at least two full decks, as it will have six of each of the neutrals to build with.

14 hours ago, Khudzlin said:

I doubt it: the Kingslayer deckbuilding rules aren't in the LtP for AGoT2, as they were different from both out-of-the-box and standard deckbuilding rules. Also, the standard deckbuilding rules are in the LtP (near the end), not in the Rules Reference. So I expect a custom format like Kingslayer.

Well you can doubt it, but from the GenCo 2017 event description: Event registration closes at 12:30pm on Thursday, August 17th. The Opening Celebration starts promptly at 1:00pm. Afterwards, players will receive one Core Set to construct a deck with, using the “Deckbuilding" rules provided in the Learn To Play booklet that comes in the Core Set. Once players have selected their clan they will report to tournament HQ to be entered into the tournament and receive their exclusive clan promos and participation prizes. For Rules, FAQ, and more, please visit our website.