Sign in to follow this  
Sir13scott

The best Biggs Darklighter fix

Biggs really is just fine. He has been in the game since Wave 1 and he wasn't a super big (haha) then. He was around certainly but he wasn't the only option. Of the three Paul Heaver World's winning Rebel lists, Biggs was only in one. And I don't think anyone would say, even back then, that Biggs walks the Dags was an overpowered list. Biggs only became almost mandatory in Rebel lists when the game's alpha strikes flew through the roof. 

Likewise, Biggs doesn't need to be nerfed in order to buff the T-65. It was already pointed out that a maneuverability buff would not help Biggs at all. Likewise, anything that requires you to put a lot of points into a ship wouldn't help Biggs as part of the reason he is so good is his 26-27 price point. Spending 35 points on Biggs isn't something that is likely to be done (or if it is, you will be getting what you pay for but be much more limited in the rest of your list). 

Miranda or Sabine would be better places to look into for a Rebel nerf. Or TLT. Most certainly TLT.

7 minutes ago, jimmius said:

christ people, Rebels have only just made it back to the tables after Dengaroo and U-Boats and now we want them back off the table?

No, we want more X-Wings on the table. But the generally held belief is that Biggs is what is holding back any buff to the X-Wing.

I think the real reason that people are complaining about Biggs is that he's incredibly useful for being so cheap, the way to prevent an X-Wing "fix" from making Biggs OP is to make it around three points, I generally don't think that Biggs is holding back the X-Wing fix unless they plan to do something like Chardaan Refit and reduce its points further than Biggs would be even better.

1 hour ago, Stevey86 said:

No, we want more X-Wings on the table. But the generally held belief is that Biggs is what is holding back any buff to the X-Wing.

I disagree with this belief. There are so many ways to buff the T-65 without making Biggs unkillable, and any designer worth their salt should be able to work around him.

5 hours ago, Unremarkable Cardboard Box said:

Miranda or Sabine would be better places to look into for a Rebel nerf. Or TLT. Most certainly TLT.

Is Sabine really the problem though? Even for an Imperial 3 health ship it's more the combination of Slam Sabine and Mine. Having flown against it and practised against it a lot the issue is that if you make one mistake you'll be punished for it, and that the width of the Cluster Mines makes them significantly easier to hit with from all sorts of angles. You can't actually use asteroids and debris to protect flanks because the bombing ship can be on either side of the terrain and still hit you. 

I almost feel like the original version of the Cluster Mine was actually the correct version and that if it changed back it would still be the preferred bomb of Miranda, though triple K might go away. 

I don't even know what you could do with Sabine. It's clear that FFG do not change anything other than text (at least at this stage), so you can't make Sabine 3pts to reflect the other auto damage effects like Vader, Painbot and Ruthlessness. People seem against the idea that you have to roll for her, which is fair except that she is only 2pts. It's probably fairer if she has to target a different ship than the one that triggered the Mine except that doesn't work with the global bombs. 

Its more likely that there is a 1-2pt mod in the works that mitigates non-attack damage. It will just be another auto-include for interceptors but hey at least Fel won't be rocking a Stealth device anymore. 

For now it's just precision flying and have a back-up plan. Fel/Jax can't be your endgame. 

As for TLT, well it's definitely hyper efficient on the damage curve compared to a PWT. It would still be a solid include if it was unique but would allow more the actual flying plastic spaceships to crew back into the game.  

7 minutes ago, DodgingArcs said:

I don't even know what you could do with Sabine.

Word it so that:
A) after a reveal bomb is removed, you must choose one ship at r1 to receive the damage, even if it is your own.

B) after an action bomb is removed, the ship receiving the additional damage is the ship that overlapped it, even if it is your own.

The biggest issue with Sabine is losing a ship to her damage that never even got close to touching a bomb.

17 minutes ago, jimmius said:

I disagree with this belief. There are so many ways to buff the T-65 without making Biggs unkillable, and any designer worth their salt should be able to work around him.

I never said if it was correct or not, just explaining the reason why you will continue to see Biggs fixes/nerfs.

10 hours ago, Stevey86 said:

Word it so that:
A) after a reveal bomb is removed, you must choose one ship at r1 to receive the damage, even if it is your own.

B) after an action bomb is removed, the ship receiving the additional damage is the ship that overlapped it, even if it is your own.

The biggest issue with Sabine is losing a ship to her damage that never even got close to touching a bomb.

I don't feel like this does anything tangible. Realistically the problem isn't that Sabine doesn't affect your own ships because you can choose to use it or not, the problem is that she increases the damage output against fragile ships. She has minimal value against high health ships, but massive impact against ships like Interceptors. 

Addotionally your wording forces the damage to happen and doesn't limit it to once per turn which is clearly worse. 

And just to reiterate, it's not Sabine by herself, it's Sabine + Slam + Mine. If you look at Nathan Eide's clever Ahsoka build it doesn't actually feel like Sabine is too broken in that build. 

We need to look at what she is, a conditional auto damage effect with no drawback. Looking at the other effects like this the conditions are generally harder or the drawback is much more significant. 

I definitely think the presence of Sabine and Bombs pushes some ships out of the meta, but in reality it is the same ships that Assaj is pushing away. What hurts is that these ships are also the ones that are actually good vs TLT. 

I would like all ships to be fair and equal but it's a pretty unrealistic dream at this point. These cards don't remove as many ships from competitive play as other cards have in the past. Something will come along that changes it all up again. 

It is disappointing that Sabine and Slam basically make only 1 faction the bombing faction but it looks like wave 11 might have some stuff that improves the bombing efficiency of Imperials and adds it to Scum. 

11 hours ago, DodgingArcs said:

I don't even know what you could do with Sabine.   

Take her faction restriction away.

At least then, she could face herself.....like a weird B rate movie.

oh, and give Advanced Slam to every ship with a native bomb slot.

Edited by clanofwolves

23 hours ago, DodgingArcs said:

Addotionally your wording forces the damage to happen and doesn't limit it to once per turn which is clearly worse. 

I thought that went without saying, you'd have to be crazy to take that restriction away.

In fact I'd add to it and say the first time a friendly bomb token is removed each round.

Biggs is at least more interesting than many other mechanics.  At least he requires some planning, maneuvering, and is tied to a rather frail ship.  He requires you to really play him and use him, as opposed to something like Palp or the old Manaroo crap.  I really haven't seen a problem with him, other than so many rebel ships and pilots being so mediocre and vulnerable they practically require Biggs to be useful.