VadersMarchKazoo

Game storage solutions

Hi all, 

I started this topic because I've come up with some relatively easy and somewhat novel storage solutions and I'd like to share them. I bet that there are a number of great ideas out there and figured other folks might like to discuss/show off ideas.

Cheers,

Vader's March played on Kazoo

Let me premise this by saying that I've used the go7gaming strategy in which you store different groups of items in different boxes (i.e game tiles are in the small box expansions and minis are in big boxes). However, I have actually purchased off-the-shelf organizers from both go7gaming and the broken token both of which I've been very happy with.

Here's my solution to card and token storage. I purchased a card organizer sold by the broken token (I'll post part numbers if folks are interested). This box was designed for FFG LCGs but it's the same dimensions as JR and RTH. I then bought two token inserts that are designed to nest in this box and used them for damage/strain/etc. tokens. I had to cut one of these down so that the two could sit on top of one another with the box closed. I also made my own custom divider made from acrylic sheeting to divide one of the columns in half allowing for two full rows of the small cards. I then cut notches in the acrylic sheet to allow the card dividers to nest in. I had to buy the extra small card dividers from the broken token. 

I 've been really happy with this. It holds the entire IA collection so far released (though JR and JR ally packs). I think there is plenty of room for any immediate expansions; Endor please!!). Plus all cards are sleeved and organized into categories. All in all, this makes set-up super easy since I just put the box next to me on the table. If you're interested, I'd be happy to post more details (dimensions, part numbers, cutting methods, etc.).

33332133023_40149768c4_c.jpg

33332134563_22fa177c59_c.jpg

Edited by VadersMarchKazoo
technical

Looks good, what do you do with all your figures? I've got mine in plano cases right now, I haven't noticed any damage on the painted ones but I do worry. I've thought about upgrading to battle foam or the equivalent but it seems like a big financial step.

The Bantha Rider and AT-ST are problem causers as they don't fit in anything..

I have a big metal, foamlined case that I used to use to move paintball guns.  It looks like a bomb case.

As long as I keep it level, I have had no problem moving everything that I can't fit into my planos: Gaarkhan, Jet troopers, Nexus, Bantha Riders, Wampas, AT-ST, Weiss, Tanks, Rancor.  

Everything else I have in plano-like boxes.  I store deployment groups together, and have their colored number tokens in each unit's compartment, making it pretty easy to set up missions.

I've got the Core organizer from go7gaming. It looks great and fits a large number of pieces. My two big challenges are: 1) the rancor and General Weiss are currently sharing a spot. I've been thinking about making a small insert for one or both of these. I'm still pondering plans. Unfortunately, one of them might need to find a new home (outside the box). Currently, I've been playing RTH so my minis are all mixed up with the minis that I need for the campaign consolidated into the RTH box (posted next.) I still have some room, but this is because I'm still painting JR, which should fit into this and the RTH box without problems, including allies and villain packs). 

33990118972_d62f49a55e_c.jpg33990120252_61fd799656_c.jpg

Here's my RTH box that I got from Go7. I've got all the RTH campaign pieces in here right now and moved the dice and round counter/doors so that I didn't need to carry the core box to my friends house for play. I think the e-webs are the only pieces sharing a spot but they normally reside in the core box near the nexu.

33990119312_67014f7191_c.jpg

technical

Some final notes: I haven't been using the wooden organizers for very long and I haven't taken them on a long (vibrating) trip, Just across town. Given that I have probably 400 - 500 hours in painting here, I'm a little worried about scuffing. All of my minis are coated with Testers Dullcoat so that should help. At the first sign of wear, I might move to the foam inserts for the mini boxes only. 

Honestly, I haven't tried to fit every mini into this system yet but I think they'll all fit until Hera and Chopper arrive. I was hoping for a small box expansion soon that would be used for more mini storage. 

That's my system. I'd love to see/hear what other folks have done.

technical

I have a single figure foam case that cost $99 into which I fit all of the following:

• Core Game
  • Weiss
  • Chewbacca 
  • Return to Hoth
  • Leia
  • Dengar
  • Echo Base Troopers
  • Sorin
  • Twin Shadows
  • R2 & 3PO
  • Jabba's Realm
  • Jabba
  • Dewback Rider
  • Endor Rangers

I still have room for two more "big" minis (I'm leaning towards a bantha and 2nd dewback) and two more "human" minis (just assuming I'll pick up Fett & Samos someday) in this case. But I refuse to buy more until I paint most of what I have. It has a shoulder strap and seems like it was designed for Warmahordes. I needed to glue in some foam bits to divide "medium" size slots into two "human" size slots.  I can try and figure out what the model number is or whatever if people want to know.

I've also toyed with idea of replacing faceless hordes such as Stormtroopers with pre-painted WOTC minis as they can stand up to some serious abuse without chipping cause they were made like toys.

Edited by TauntaunScout

I own one of everything with exceptions of: alliance rangers, captain terro, ISB inf.  I have two of those guys

My storage solutions would make people cry... I put as many of my painted minis in individual wooden slots, but some aren't so lucky, they get put in plastic bags... together.  I also don't sleeve my stuff.

I put all my tiles in the hoth box, I put all skirmish related content and some of my other minis in the jabba's box, and everything campaign related goes in the core box, along with the majority of my miniatures.

Does nobody else keep the figures out on display on a lovely glass fronted cabinet etc?

I appreciate space is an issue but I have made room in my 'man cave'(very small spare room) for a shelving unit with glass doors, figures sit proudly in there on display.  Hate them tucked away in a box....think this works especially well for Descent/IA as you dont use anything like a high percentage of the figures in each session.

One tip I would offer is that instead of just having all of the tiles loose in boxes, use a CD binder. I switched over to this method and I could never, ever go back to digging through a pile. I have to do it when we play Descent and it drives me mad.

It's so nice to just flip through pages tossing out tiles, it's drastically improved my set up time. 

I would just make sure when you store it, un zip the binder and don't have anything on top of it, this will prevent any of the tiles from becoming bent. Not a problem I myself have had, but I know others have commented on it.

1 hour ago, FrogTrigger said:

One tip I would offer is that instead of just having all of the tiles loose in boxes, use a CD binder. I switched over to this method and I could never, ever go back to digging through a pile. I have to do it when we play Descent and it drives me mad.

It's so nice to just flip through pages tossing out tiles, it's drastically improved my set up time. 

I would just make sure when you store it, un zip the binder and don't have anything on top of it, this will prevent any of the tiles from becoming bent. Not a problem I myself have had, but I know others have commented on it.

That's a great idea. Do you put them in numerical order (by expansion)? Do you put several small tiles in a shared pocket?

6 minutes ago, VadersMarchKazoo said:

That's a great idea. Do you put them in numerical order (by expansion)? Do you put several small tiles in a shared pocket?

I do numerical order and separate them by expansion. Some of the smaller ones yes, I put multiples in one pocket. Put say 15 on the left and 16 on the right. So far it's worked great for me, never had a problem with tiles falling out. I can fit up to JR in one binder and I have room for, my estimate, one more small and big box. Then I could also condense further to create more room. You have to get slightly creative sometimes with the number ordering otherwise your big tiles might not fit, they need to be on the bottom row and slightly over lap the top row. I've also cut a few slits to fit the even larger tiles, but there are a few really big ones that just won't fit. Those I keep in a ziploc in the back. I think it is 6 or 7 tiles total so far that won't fit using this method, not bad considering how many there are. I would just make a note on the binder which tiles are the big ones, I've spent minutes searching for 19 then panicking thinking I lost it before realizing it is one of the very large tiles :)

You'll think "ahh I can remember 6 or 7 big tiles", but with all the expansions and double numbering it gets confusing fast.

4 hours ago, VadersMarchKazoo said:

Ha. The kazoos are for playing Vaders march at the beginning of a mission or the Rebel awards ceremony march at the end, as needed. A tradition in my group:) we like to think that we're getting quite good.

Nice!  Your name makes more sense now, too!  :D

On 4/20/2017 at 4:06 AM, VAYASAN said:

Does nobody else keep the figures out on display on a lovely glass fronted cabinet etc?

I appreciate space is an issue but I have made room in my 'man cave'(very small spare room) for a shelving unit with glass doors, figures sit proudly in there on display.  Hate them tucked away in a box....think this works especially well for Descent/IA as you dont use anything like a high percentage of the figures in each session.

I have a glass fronted book case that I display miniatures in. But I have Imperial Assault and WEG Star Wars armies, and hundreds of painted miniatures for historical games, Warhammer FB/40k, and numerous small warbands for skirmish games.  Displaying them all like that is never going to happen.

I try to keep the glass fronted real estate for my best paintjobs, though I am slowly transitioning it to all historical. Visitors to the house tend to be impressed by the historical minis, whereas I find the sci-fi and fantasy ones are a conversation killer.

21 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

I have a glass fronted book case that I display miniatures in. But I have Imperial Assault and WEG Star Wars armies, and hundreds of painted miniatures for historical games, Warhammer FB/40k, and numerous small warbands for skirmish games.  Displaying them all like that is never going to happen.

I try to keep the glass fronted real estate for my best paintjobs, though I am slowly transitioning it to all historical. Visitors to the house tend to be impressed by the historical minis, whereas I find the sci-fi and fantasy ones are a conversation killer.

Im similar, but mine is upstairs.

Have Flames of Wars, Bolt Action, loads of 28mm Napoleonic,  6mm 40k Epic and now IA and Descent.

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 2:44 PM, VadersMarchKazoo said:

Let me premise this by saying that I've used the go7gaming strategy in which you store different groups of items in different boxes (i.e game tiles are in the small box expansions and minis are in big boxes). However, I have actually purchased off-the-shelf organizers from both go7gaming and the broken token both of which I've been very happy with.

Here's my solution to card and token storage. I purchased a card organizer sold by the broken token (I'll post part numbers if folks are interested). This box was designed for FFG LCGs but it's the same dimensions as JR and RTH. I then bought two token inserts that are designed to nest in this box and used them for damage/strain/etc. tokens. I had to cut one of these down so that the two could sit on top of one another with the box closed. I also made my own custom divider made from acrylic sheeting to divide one of the columns in half allowing for two full rows of the small cards. I then cut notches in the acrylic sheet to allow the card dividers to nest in. I had to buy the extra small card dividers from the broken token. 

I 've been really happy with this. It holds the entire IA collection so far released (though JR and JR ally packs). I think there is plenty of room for any immediate expansions; Endor please!!). Plus all cards are sleeved and organized into categories. All in all, this makes set-up super easy since I just put the box next to me on the table. If you're interested, I'd be happy to post more details (dimensions, part numbers, cutting methods, etc.).

33332133023_40149768c4_c.jpg

33332134563_22fa177c59_c.jpg

I would love the specifics on how you did this!

On 5/10/2017 at 7:02 AM, Stormtrooper74 said:

I would love the specifics on how you did this!

Sorry for the delay. I've been meaning to measure this stuff but never have a ruler and the game in the same place:) I just posted what I could and will measure in the near future. Here's how I made the organizer (from mostly commercially-available pieces).

1)   I purchased the sleeved card game organizer (SKU: ORG006) from thebrokentoken.com and assembled according to supplied directions

2)   I purchased two short bits boxes for sleeved card game organizer (SKU: ACC004). One of these was assembled according to the manufacture   res directions. The second box was a little trickier. I had to cut the top portion of each side wall down with a hobby razor saw (before gluing). This was to allow both small boxes to stack in the game box with the box lid closed. I don’t remember the height of the trimmed bit box but I figured it out by dropping the unglued bit box into the organizer (above the first larger bit box) and then marking the desired height with a pencil. I’ll measure this soon and update my post.

3)   I also purchased two extra dividers for mini-american card case (SKU: DIV007) you might be able to get away with one pack of these which contains 8 dividers.

4)   The biggest part of the fabrication was the divider that separated the two rows of mini-cards. For this I used ¼ inch acrylic sheeting but I bet you could use hobby plywood or maybe foam core. If it’s too thin of sheeting then the card dividers won’t nest in from both sides. I cut this down to the inner dimension of the organizer (length wise) and then slid it to one side to mark the location of the slits that hold the dividers with a pencil. The slits were a little tricky to cut. I used a Dremel with a cutting tool. It wasn’t super pretty, but it did the job. The depth of the slits needs to accommodate the tabs on the card dividers. In my box, the acrylic sheet just sits loose in the box and the card dividers sort of prop it up. It’s fine when all the cards are in place. Optionally, you could glue the center divider in place, which would make everything a bit more solid.