Sturn

Consumables & Expenses (Vehicle Ops Series)

I'm finally completing a series of documents covering various aspects of ship/vehicle operation in more detail. Some of the material is just fleshing out the rule-as-written. When house rules were needed (in my opinion), I've added them. The project started as a single PDF which was going to cover consumables, repairs, sensors, communications, starports, trade, cargo, passengers, astrogation (I think that is all :D), but it quickly grew too large. I then split the PDF's into 6 categories with 5 mostly done (just need to add consolidated tables at the back).  While intended for personal use, splitting it up is probably better for others that would like to pick and choose. There is of course some cross-over between the documents, but it is called out and minimal I think.

Below is the link to the Consumables & Expenses document. The other documents are in the root link below, but I would like to keep discussion in this thread to Consumables & Expenses. When the discussion of this document has ground to a halt, I will create a new thread for the next one.

I understand some may not like the added complexity, or the added detail is not needed for their campaign.  But, please consider that what may seem complex at first glance (lots of pages) may just be filled with lots of examples and presentation. If you see something that could be a problem for the rules I've presented then please, please comment here. I've play-tested a bit of this, but most of it is very new and yet used. If you do use my rules, please come back for feedback! I will update things as better options or errors are presented. I consider all of these "In Testing".

Thank you to those that gave input directly or indirectly. I've sent messages to some and/or gave credit in the title pages. If I missed someone please let me know and I will update it.

Vehicle Ops: Consumables & Expenses

Vehicle Ops Series

I always enjoy seeing the work others put into fleshing out their games. I didn't see any problems on a read through, but I did  have an idea. You listed Luxurious accommodations, and it struck me that there should be a benefit from such. A boost die to physical activities for 3-6 hours for feeling great. A boost die to social if the other party knows you're staying at The Swank also sounds appropriate, or because they laundered your clothes etc. Just my 2 cr worth.

I started going through these and I got to say I am impressed.  I have been looking for some more "mundane" expenses for the crew's income in a game I am running, and the consumables document is exactly what I am looking for.  I will take some time to study this and all the others in detail when I have a bit of free time, but I am definitely liking what I am seeing so far.

Sturn, as expected,  these look well thought out and add just enough without bogging things down or losing the narrative of the game.  A happy median I believe. 

One my group is out of the current Sturn we are in,  I am hoping to really dig into these.  And yes,  I will be halt to provide feedback. 

Keep up the good work.  

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 0:51 PM, orcface999 said:

You listed Luxurious accommodations, and it struck me that there should be a benefit from such. A boost die to physical activities for 3-6 hours for feeling great. A boost die to social if the other party knows you're staying at The Swank also sounds appropriate, or because they laundered your clothes etc. Just my 2 cr worth.

To remain in sync with the penalties of lower quality lodging being strain related, would giving a 24 hour +1 Strain Threshold boost be too much?

Wow, thanks a lot for putting all this together- and just in time.  Been making some noises at my players about how some manner of operating costs was coming as soon as I managed to put the numbers together.  We play a lot of Shadowrun and are well-versed with lifestyle costs, so the idea was to do something like that.  Your consumables multiplier table is great, and I like the way you've worked in droids.  If there's anything of relevance to report from our "play-testing," I'll keep you posted.

7 hours ago, Superunknown said:

Wow, thanks a lot for putting all this together- and just in time.  Been making some noises at my players about how some manner of operating costs was coming as soon as I managed to put the numbers together.  We play a lot of Shadowrun and are well-versed with lifestyle costs, so the idea was to do something like that.  Your consumables multiplier table is great, and I like the way you've worked in droids.  If there's anything of relevance to report from our "play-testing," I'll keep you posted.

Thank you! The bolded part above I'm especially interested in. My group is currently on a hiatus so I won't be doing any more playtesting for a while.

On 4/22/2017 at 5:30 AM, Sturn said:

To remain in sync with the penalties of lower quality lodging being strain related, would giving a 24 hour +1 Strain Threshold boost be too much?

I think 24 hours is too much for either a penalty or boon. That can too easily turn into permanent.

17 hours ago, orcface999 said:

I think 24 hours is too much for either a penalty or boon. That can too easily turn into permanent.

I think I'm going with removing the "Upscale" lodging and meals. This will leave only Budget, Average, and Luxurious. Then, it will be more easy to differentiate each so there is a reason to pay for each level. Then, adding possible Bonus/Setback in social actions for Luxurious/Budget lodging.