Toqtamish

Announcement Article Up

Just now, JJ48 said:

Good point:  I guess it's not ALL bad...

I'll guess we'll find out in some upcomming article. We still have time, the game won't drop till the 4th quartal of this year. (Gaah can't wait!)

I read there's no longer an enlightnement victory. Poor Dragon players (no more ring out wins). Besides that and your characters slowly fating away I kinda like it.

Oh, and  I'm sad to see the Mantis go to.

1 minute ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

So the Phoenix (presumed) Holding doesn't have its name visible.  Which means it must be on the left side, like Attachments.

Does that mean that Holdings can be attached to your stronghold?

I was assuming that they were attached to provinces. That gives them easy counterplay, just attack and break the province they're in, as well as some interesting decisions around whether you want to attack the holding's province and deal with whatever nasty effect is there, or go for a softer, lower value target.

2 minutes ago, GoblinGuide said:

I was assuming that they were attached to provinces. That gives them easy counterplay, just attack and break the province they're in, as well as some interesting decisions around whether you want to attack the holding's province and deal with whatever nasty effect is there, or go for a softer, lower value target.

Do we actually know that broken provinces lose their abilities?  It would seem to make sense, but they also comment that they stay in play to avoid snowball effects - that could just mean the dynasty draw, but might also mean the abilities (and attachments) stay in play as well.

I just wish I didn't have to wait until the "4th Quarter" to buy my 3 copies because I can't afford the time and money to go to Gen-Con . . .  I'll have to contact the old crew and see if they can pick me up some copies.  Not even sure if that's possible - you probably need to pre-register and pre-order and all that exclusive stuff.

So here's a super preliminary deck concept. I'm calling it blitz hybrid weenie rush. The goal is to try and win on turn 2. Pick a clan that can do both military and politics reasonably well (Dragon?). Try to get out two people on turn 1, one of each type. At most put one extra fate on each. Take a 5 card draw, and attempt to break two provinces on the first turn. Repeat on turn 2 for the win. If the game gets to turn 4 you've probably lost.

2 minutes ago, Ryric said:

So here's a super preliminary deck concept. I'm calling it blitz hybrid weenie rush. The goal is to try and win on turn 2. Pick a clan that can do both military and politics reasonably well (Dragon?). Try to get out two people on turn 1, one of each type. At most put one extra fate on each. Take a 5 card draw, and attempt to break two provinces on the first turn. Repeat on turn 2 for the win. If the game gets to turn 4 you've probably lost.

seems legit...

4 hours ago, Wispur said:

Why?

It's spending 120 for a COMPLETE playset.
There was no way you could get a complete Playset at that cost under the old CCG model. 
This is WAAAY cheaper overall.

I'm not complaining about the mandatory 3 core set. I'm complaining about doubles and triples in a single core set. That's what boils my blood.

17 minutes ago, Barbacuo said:

I'm not complaining about the mandatory 3 core set. I'm complaining about doubles and triples in a single core set. That's what boils my blood.

But that wasn't the case with the AGOT2 box which was the last PvP core released.  Almost every card was a single except for a handful of neutral or economy cards that enabled the core to be playable.  It was a stark contrast to LOTR for example and any criticism is basically quibbling or a fundamental opposition to the model.  Arkham was as good with the limitation that the game is PvG so you had to have the Game System cards in the box and those would be doubles.  Nothing can be done about that.

1 minute ago, Bullroarer Took said:

But that wasn't the case with the AGOT2 box which was the last PvP core released.  Almost every card was a single except for a handful of neutral or economy cards that enabled the core to be playable.  It was a stark contrast to LOTR for example and any criticism is basically quibbling or a fundamental opposition to the model.  Arkham was as good with the limitation that the game is PvG so you had to have the Game System cards in the box and those would be doubles.  Nothing can be done about that.

Besides, leftover cards that you don't want are an excellent way to bring in new players!

39 minutes ago, oDESGOSTO said:

No, I meant the topic where I said explicitly I wanted to play a L5R game and not a card-game-based-in-Rokugan, which is exactly what this is.

Can you explain what you feel the difference is? I'm not sure I understand. And let's be sure we're all treating each other with civility - we all want a great gaming experience!

Edited by Ryoshun Higoka
Spelling

1 hour ago, Bullroarer Took said:

Arkham was as good with the limitation that the game is PvG so you had to have the Game System cards in the box and those would be doubles.  Nothing can be done about that.

Of course something could be done about it. They could sell the player cards separately from the encounter cards. But let's be honest, selling you cards you don't want is the core of the LCG model. Sure, it's friendlier to some players than the CCG model is, but the core goal is the same.

13 minutes ago, Buhallin said:

Of course something could be done about it. They could sell the player cards separately from the encounter cards. But let's be honest, selling you cards you don't want is the core of the LCG model. Sure, it's friendlier to some players than the CCG model is, but the core goal is the same.

I think that is a bit disingenuous.  It is an unfortunate side-effect of the model, but I sincerely doubt it is the goal.  Most games, at least from a sales point, have a goal of having one single point of buy-in, so that there is no confusion about which product to buy, so that folks don't feel like they "have" to buy an expansion to buy a game, and so that stores don't have to juggle a bunch of different products that will sell at wildly different rates.  Balance that with having a complete enough game to play, in the box replayability (by having multiple factions represented in the cards) and a need to restrict the number of cards in the box to keep it under a price point, and you are going to have to make trade-offs.

7 hours ago, the eigensheep said:

Sure, but meaning something isn't specific at all. Maybe the 40K minis/LCG crowd has little crossover. Maybe it only appealed to 40k players since it's an established IP. Maybe players didn't like getting steamrolled when they played more experienced players. Who knows? The game ultimately died due to licensing issues.

The game mechanics were excellent, regardless of it's limited success.

I'd say the biggest problem with WH40k is that it requires doing business with games workshop and they're just universally terrible.