Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Preotet

Jonathan Ying on Reddit

11 posts in this topic

Haha, I'd be game for the two ewoks.  The Grievous inspired hero sounds pretty cool, too.

I'd be happy to work on another IA expansion in the future perhaps, but I know that the game continues to be in good hands.

With some of the current pessimism given the lack of news lately, this seems like a rather optimistic remark from someone more involved in the industry.  Brightens up my day, a little.

Regarding a skirmish starter pack it's something we discussed internally a bit but I'm not sure it went anywhere. Suffice to say since Skirmish already requires map tiles, tokens etc, anyway it's doubtful that we'd make a second entry-point to the game. Alas.

I suspected as much but it still sucks to see it from someone who was 'on the inside'. After the poll we did and the lengthy discussion maybe we were able to persuade them otherwise.. but for now I think that is as close to an official answer as we will get.

Really makes growing the skirmish community hard :/

Lots of great insight in that AMA though, particularly about how much of a battle it has been to balance the game. I always felt the core campaign was a lot of fun, and so did my Rebels, but maybe a little repetitive. I also ran it as a GM basically from the start, which he suggests multiple times. If you look at the core vs. JR though the design has come leap years forward, makes me excited for what they can do in future campaigns/the app.

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, ryanjamal said:

I agree.  He also stated somewhere in that thread that more fixes like IG88 would probably be coming down the line (at least, I think that was him who said that), which is also an optimistic note.

-ryanjamal

Ya he made a couple comments about if they could only 'patch' the game like a video game they could fix so many problems. Then he talked about how applying these patch fixes to the unique characters is the best way to go about it and we can expect more. He made a comment about how they never really paid attention to the deployment cost of uniques early on in the core because they were just building missions around them so it didn't matter. Almost like they didn't realize how hard/ineffective they would be at the cost.. and then it was to late. I think like most games out there once the masses get a hold of it you really see those abusive builds he was referring to come out. In Video games you just fix it 'under the hood' like he said, but for table top it is much much harder. It really seemed like an errata like IA got was a huge deal that they try to avoid at all costs if possible because then that out of the box experience is gone and people are forced to hunt down peripheral material. Probably why they haven't tried to change any of the more one sided core missions.

The take home message I got from him is that the game will be as balanced as you make it, if you really want to abuse your players then there is the opportunity to do so, but if you want to make it fun and engaging that opportunity is also there. The unfortunate part is that as he gave the MTG example, for skirmish this doesn't really exist as it is so hardcore competitive. But I feel like since the Core they've done a good job of introducing new and fresh meta.

Edited by FrogTrigger

1 hour ago, FrogTrigger said:

I suspected as much but it still sucks to see it from someone who was 'on the inside'. After the poll we did and the lengthy discussion maybe we were able to persuade them otherwise.. but for now I think that is as close to an official answer as we will get.

Really makes growing the skirmish community hard :/

Lots of great insight in that AMA though, particularly about how much of a battle it has been to balance the game. I always felt the core campaign was a lot of fun, and so did my Rebels, but maybe a little repetitive. I also ran it as a GM basically from the start, which he suggests multiple times. If you look at the core vs. JR though the design has come leap years forward, makes me excited for what they can do in future campaigns/the app.

They kind of made the Skrimish starter pack (or what it would have looked like) for Rune battle-whatever it is called... :) so maybe!?

ryanjamal likes this

Jonathan: DEFINITELY use the Agenda and Item Deck systems introduced in Jabba's Realm. Todd did a great job on that one. It solves the problem of Agenda cards being held back for 90% of a campaign.

Still don’t understand why the new Agenda system is limited to Jabba’s Realm but the new item card system extends to every campaign.

I'm sure this was a conscious decision to do this and I really have no idea why (although I'm certainly going to house rule the agenda limit in all campaigns).

batmansmk: You left Star Wars: Imperial Assault in the hands of the awesome Paul Winchester (who left FFG afaik).

Paul Winchester left FFG? Where are people getting this info from?

Jonathan: Biv and Saska are both fun to play but a little bit more constrained in their options compared to many other hero kits.

I’m just happy this was acknowledged :P

frotes likes this

33 minutes ago, Armandhammer said:

Still don’t understand why the new Agenda system is limited to Jabba’s Realm but the new item card system extends to every campaign.

Consider the new agenda system to be under a feedback process. I have used it as a house-rule even before Jabba's Realm, so I can recommend it.

35 minutes ago, Armandhammer said:

Paul Winchester left FFG? Where are people getting this info from?

From Paul Winchester himself among others. The old BoardWars.eu interview was at least foreshadowing the start of his musical career, I don't remember if he talked about his future otherwise.

frotes likes this

On 4/19/2017 at 11:09 AM, FrogTrigger said:

The take home message I got from him is that the game will be as balanced as you make it, if you really want to abuse your players then there is the opportunity to do so, but if you want to make it fun and engaging that opportunity is also there. The unfortunate part is that as he gave the MTG example, for skirmish this doesn't really exist as it is so hardcore competitive. But I feel like since the Core they've done a good job of introducing new and fresh meta.

Well said. I think this should be posted in about 90% of the threads on the campaign board.

subtrendy and ellhaynes like this