testobviouslyfalse

Why Can't You Be Better?

3 minutes ago, Major Tom said:

In spirit certainly.  I was taught to play chess by my grandfather, who was very, very good at the game and did not believe in sugar coating his lessons.  Every time I lasted longer, or even kept a key piece on the board longer it felt like a victory.

My dad taught me with the same results you had. I was using this example because Toker seems to think people enjoy losing. Players accept losses because they enjoy the game not because they like losing.

As a footnote, the worse day of my life, baring deaths, was the day I beat my father at chess. 

15 minutes ago, Major Tom said:

In spirit certainly.  I was taught to play chess by my grandfather, who was very, very good at the game and did not believe in sugar coating his lessons.  Every time I lasted longer, or even kept a key piece on the board longer it felt like a victory.

Well, unless you deal in absolutes, getting better is a victory, even if you didn't take the game.

6 minutes ago, Stoneface said:

As a footnote, the worse day of my life, baring deaths, was the day I beat my father at chess. 

Always the apprentice must defeat the master.  It is the Sith way. ;)

15 minutes ago, Luke C said:

Again, while I am in no way the best Xwing player, with a dual s/f list i made the cut at Detroit, Ohio, and day 2 at Hoth.

You know... without LWF. 

Great. Then how on earth are you missing the idea that there's a reason you didn't run 2 Advances, or 2 Interceptors, or 2 Phantoms, or 2 Firesprays, or 2 Khirax, or 2 T-65s, or 2 anything else that almost never sees the top tables? That you went with arguably the best post nerf Imperial ship at Hoth because it was exactly that?

its not just casual players that'd like to see some of the other 60+ expansions get some use. Plenty of competitive players are here posting about balance issues because it's not JUST competitive play to them but because they'd like the rest of their vast collection to be able to compete? Because ships and pilots that should be top shelf in the Star Wars lore aren't and that means something to them too? Luke, Wedge, Tycho, Soontir, Talonbane, Fett, and more... if you like Star Wars, it's pretty reasonable to want them showing up as solid competitive choices  and pretty reasonable to complain if they're not  

and might I add, you started this thread at a weird time. We finally have a little diversity back in the meta and the balance complaints are at a relative low.  

Edited by Lobokai

1 minute ago, Lobokai said:

Great. Then how on earth are you missing the idea that there's a reason you didn't run 2 Advances, or 2 Interceptors, or 2 Phantoms, or 2 Firesprays, or 2 Khirax, or 2 T-65s, or 2 anything else that almost never sees the top tables? That you went with arguably the best post nerf ship at Hoth because it was exactly that?

Because I play with Firesprays and Khiraxz whenever I feel like it. I just don't take it to large tournaments. The whole point of this thread is that competitive is different and that they should be BETTER. 

Better means:
1. pick the meta better
2. Pick a better squad
3. Practice more
4. Do something else that inst competitive

better does not mean:
Bitching endlessly on a forum because you cant play the game you want. No one cares about your feelings, you are not important. 

THAT is the point of the post. 

19 hours ago, Luke C said:

I've been seeing posts about how people can't win with certain squads or that the ships they like to play get trounced by other people. I'm just wondering why you can't get better at the game to play at a high level? I'm not saying that I personally am amazing at this game, but I'm also not whining about it either. 

This post is to represent the "Other Side" of xwing where people like to go to tournaments, like to win, play good squads and generally crush bad players in a fun engaging setting of xwing! 

I don't have time to be better so I don't play competitively.  I play promotional events and charity events only or host gaming days at home.  I buy everything so I can host big Epic events with my friends and supply all the ships.

I tried playing ANR competitively and did well at the first worlds but I simply have too many hobbies, friends and commitments to play anything competitively.  I could get good but instead I stay home.  I played X-wing in worlds a few years ago and got trounced, it wasn't fun, I was way out of my league and dropped.  I enjoy X-wing a lot but just like I might enjoy basketball... I am not going to try to play an NBA team with some of my friends.

19 hours ago, Luke C said:

I've been seeing posts about how people can't win with certain squads or that the ships they like to play get trounced by other people. I'm just wondering why you can't get better at the game to play at a high level? I'm not saying that I personally am amazing at this game, but I'm also not whining about it either. 

Without really knowing about which posts you are complaining about, I think they would probably fall into two different categories:

1. Someone who goes to tournaments and does bad, then complains:  These people full fit into your criticism.  If you are going to the tournaments, you have to follow the tournament meta.  It may be a shame that the T-65 that gives the game it's name isn't seen beyond Biggs, but you gotta do what wins tournaments if you want to do well.  
  2. Someone who shows up at local game night and gets trounced and then complains:  I have a lot more sympathy for these guys.  I've built my local scene and I've seen it happen.  There usually starts a core group of competitive players who really get into the game.  They mostly want to play at tournament level and if you ask for a game, that's what you are going to get.   Then, there are people who sometimes play X-wing.   They play numerous games and don't keep up with all the latest and greatest power combos, but they like to move around Star Wars ships and blast things.  They walk up and get a game with someone with a tournament level list and get crushed.  It happens again and again.  Turns out that there really aren't any people at the game store that want to play non-tournament level or even that the occasional player even realizes he needs to say he wants a casual game.  I've seen a fair amount of players drop out because they just don't want to play the tournament level of the game and don't really see another alternative at their local game store.   

I think what gets me the most is when people think that tournament level X-wing is the default way to play the game.  Yes, it's popular and lots of people play it, but it isn't really the only way to play.  It gets hard to find casual games when you are just showing up to game night and trying to play.  It might take a lot of effort for one or two people to try to build the casual scene as an alternative and many people just don't want to invest the time as they have other games.  

I do understand that many people on these forums disagree with me and think that FFG pushes tournament mode as the default.  They say the game is designed to it.  I'll agree that it is the hardest thing to balance and that if you can balance something for tournament play, then it's balanced for almost every other type of play....so that's true to a certain degree.  I'll disagree that it's the way that FFG presents the game to be played in it's default state, though.  

29 minutes ago, Luke C said:

I just don't take it to large tournaments.

Bullcrap. You just don't take it to tournaments because you'd lose with underpowered ships. Because too many ships can't compete. People aren't whining because triple HWK can't win or because they're not good. They're complaining because there's too few ships that can compete for the sample size we own and because at some level this is Star Wars and that lore should matter. 

Your bizarre perception that Paul Heaver should be allowed to say a given ship needs help but that a moderately solid player can't is weird. Your idea that "better" gameplay is a counter argument to complaining makes no sense. 

People in general aren't upset because they aren't winning, they're upset because 16 ships are worth using out of the 100 they own and that's both stupid and fixable... so oddly enough they're saying so on the dev's forum 

Edited by Lobokai

1 minute ago, Lobokai said:

Bullcrap. You just don't take it to tournaments because you'd lose with underpowered ships. Because too many ships can't compete. People aren't whining because triple HWK can't win or because they're not good. They're complaining because there's too few ships that can compete for the sample size we own and because at some level this is Star Wars and that lore should matter. 

Your bizarre perception that Paul Heaver should be allowed to say a given ship needs help but that a moderately solid player can't is weird. Your idea that "better" gameplay is a counter argument to complaining makes no sense. 

People in general aren't upset because they aren't winning, they're upset because 16 ships are worth using out of the 100 they own and that's both stupid and fixable... so oddly enough they're saying so on the publisher's forum 

Why can't you understand that I am ok with this? I dont give 2 craps that a naked hwk is bad. I also give less craps that 3 xwings aren't good. If i want to play them I will, but not at a large event because I want to actually compete at those. 

Forum Better. Git Gud. and Fly Casual (when you want to).

39 minutes ago, Stoneface said:

True, but it was a "bad feeling" I got from that win.:(

I know what you mean, though.

My parents completed high school, then may dad went into the trades and mom had me.  Eventually, I went off to college, and in a phone call back to home, it became clear to me that they had no idea about the things I was discussing.  I had a panicked moment of "****, I am well and truly on my own now."

20 hours ago, Luke C said:

ships they like to play get trounced by other people

Because you said you weren't okay with it. And that the solution was skill. Odd, I know.

Edited by Lobokai

16 hours ago, Luke C said:

People being bad and then whining that they don't have time to practice is rude.

Go on then... i'll fall for the click bait..

So.... You're complaining that people are complaining that they aren't good at the game and it's not fair that they don't have time to practice to get better.... but, what's actually your point. There isn't one is there, but you're hoping that the more people who you can show you DON'T care about how much they whine the better.

Why do I get the feeling that some people in the world are to precious to admit they like the attention. So by starting a "controversial" thread.. they get some attention only to tell everyone they don't care about the attention they are getting and how awesome their feelings are.

To sum up..... 

This whole post sounds like a 13 year old arguing with his mates at school about whether or not he's cool.. and the fact that he doesn't care if he isn't, which makes him cool.

But for the sake of it, people IN EVERYTHING moan when they are losing regularly ans blame ANYTHING and EVERYTHING except themselves. Welcome to competition.

3 minutes ago, Lobokai said:

Because you said you weren't okay with it. Odd, I know.

That statement went so far over your head it must be in orbit. 

If a ship is bad, play it if you want, but don't take it to competition. If all the xwing you actually can do are tournaments, then play what you want and don't expect to win if you bring a crappy squad. I don't care that ships are bad, I will still play them in casual cause casual doesn't matter. 

2 minutes ago, Brunas said:

This thread is a modern art masterpiece. It's an honor to be present before the lock.

Is it significant that the main protagonists avatar is a (former) GW license picture?

There are many, many reasons why I stopped playing GW games 15 years ago... the "community attitude" being one of them.

Edited by boomaster

1 minute ago, boomaster said:

Is it significant that the main protagonists avatar is a (former) GW license picture?

There are many, many reasons why I stopped playing GW games 15 years ago... 

Hey now, back off the chaplain... fearless and stubborn are excellent forum attributes to honor

31 minutes ago, Luke C said:

Bitching endlessly on a forum because you cant play the game you want. No one cares about your feelings, you are not important. 

THAT is the point of the post. 

Interesting post OP...a bit of a troll, but I see you see your thoughts as very useful to the forum community.

My points are:

1) This is a game.

2) The game takes our time outside of standard life, which makes it very valuable; and time is the only real commodity any of us have, so if we spend our only commodity on it, we better stinking really enjoy it.

3) Therefore, if you play, it is fun for you. So this game is fun and winning at this game is very fun and we all like that happening more than not.

4) People (relationships) are even more important than the time invested or winning. Therefore, enjoying the people you play with even trumps the game itself; in a way it's a vehicle to spend time (valuable), with people (more valuable).

5) If you have fun with the people (most valuable), playing the game using your time (valuable) and you want to play with certain ships or have issues with certain counters or powerful ships in the game that create some negative game experiences that conversely make your game time (valuable) less fun and less worth the investment, then you might want a forum to vent such opinions or ideas.

Um, I may be rambling, but this is exactly what this forum is for my friend. It is here for enjoyment of all game inspired types: to question, to inform, to vent, to troll (obviously), and to most importantly have communications with people (more valuable) that love the game we love. This, in turn, can assist our game time (valuable) more fun, and time with playing people (more valuable) all the better.

...man, I need some tea.

10 minutes ago, Luke C said:

If a ship is bad, play it if you want, but don't take it to competition. If all the xwing you actually can do are tournaments, then play what you want and don't expect to win if you bring a crappy squad. I don't care that ships are bad, I will still play them in casual cause casual doesn't matter. 

I will point out that this is your opinion.  Others might have different opinions.  Neither is superior to the other.  

10 hours ago, Stoneface said:

I think some of the younger players (referenced to my age) don't use their imagination. Too many video games don't require imagination on the part of the player. An imaginary world was laid out for them. All that was really required was headphones and a joystick and BANG! You're immersed in an alternate reality.

There probably aren't too many that remember ZORK. A text based adventure game. No graphics just a computer program that "understood" about 300 words. It kept me entertained far longer than most first person shooters that I played. It required you to think and fill out "the reality" of the game in your head.

Did you just do a fancier version of "Back in my day all we had was ZORK! It only understood 300 words and we LIKED IT! Now that was a real game! None of that fancy-shmancy graphics, gameplay, or storytelling that you dern kids have in your games these days."

Can we make you the Reminiscing Old Man of the forums?

And yes, I have played ZORK.