Wow nice work.  I think you nailed it.  

Really potent abilities, but his fragility seems to balance it out.

Have we heard anything about the differences between the calvary and infantry models?

I think it's "Receive 1 wound."

Nope. Actually I think you're right. Except it does look like stable energy instead of natural energy. It's more square than circular, isn't it? I could be wrong again.

Edited by Budgernaut

5 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

I think it's "Receive 1 wound."

FFG won't let me post any more pics, but I focused as hard as I could on that one word and I'm pretty sure it's remove.

The energy symbols are super hard to make out, but I think I see a circle, and the other "raise dead" effects have been natural.

I tried to read but I had problems. That IS a serious character!!!

He won't need to stand in the dangerous front line and therefore we could use him to keep working in a desperate situation (a couple of reanimate trays won't kill him but that may make the difference in a long combat).

You suffer direct wounds, not damage

Edited by druchii7

7 minutes ago, druchii7 said:

I tried to read but I had problems. That IS a serious character!!!

He won't need to stand in the dangerous front line and therefore we could use him to keep working in a desperate situation (a couple of reanimate trays won't kill him but that may make the difference in a long combat).

You suffer direct wounds, not damage

His ranged attack will help mitigate this. He will be rolling 0, 2 or 4 white dice and removing 1 wound per 2 surges.

I noticed that, but I don't think that it will be frequent to see him performing his skill more than once every game, because you'll generally lose wounds quicklier than he gains. However, i think that's quite interesting.

15 minutes ago, druchii7 said:

I noticed that, but I don't think that it will be frequent to see him performing his skill more than once every game, because you'll generally lose wounds quicklier than he gains. However, i think that's quite interesting.

I will hold out judgement on this until I see his preview article.

If you can pair his skill and ranged attack in the same activation and have have heartseeker, you should be able to keep him behind the unit that you're resing and do fairly well.

Of course this is speculation until we his dial and army building side.

Also, if he gives his skill as a figure upgrade he might be better there. The reanimates skill is a white modifier.

21 hours ago, Corrinmana said:

FFG won't let me post any more pics, but I focused as hard as I could on that one word and I'm pretty sure it's remove.

I'm not sure why FFG even lets us upload files to the forums. We are capped at such a low amount of storage that it can only be used a couple of times. To include images in posts upload them to an imgur account (or similar service) and use the "Insert other media" option to use an image from a URL.

Edited by WWHSD

I think this guy can take Heartseeker. We can't see the army building side of his card, but the fact that he comes with artifact upgrades and all of the other Heroes have them make that a pretty good bet. With Heartseeker, you could plop him behind a group of reanimates and shoot serious damage and raise reanimates All. Day. Long.

Am I really understanding this guy's attack correctly? I must be missing something because this seems absolutely devastating: One white die + 3-7 damage from runes. If he gets double surge, he can get up to 4 additional white dice? Holy moly. I know he doesn't have brutal, but would he really need it?

Now we really need to see his dial. I'm guessing he'll have ranged attack on his action dial, but if he has skill on his modifier dial also then he could rain damage and raise the dead in the same turn. Again, throw Heartseeker on him to keep him out of harm's way, and if there's anyway to get an auto-surge on him through upgrade cards, that would be an auto-take as his odds to roll double surge on one white die are only 1/12. With an auto-surge upgrade, that jumps to 4/12. Still not super reliable since a lot of the point of getting the double surge effect would depend on whether there were unstable runes in play. But man, if that ever goes off at full effect, that will be a game to remember.

I just noticed that this doesn't seem to be limited to replacing trays that were removed. 

Do you think there's going to be something in the rules about adding trays not letting you deviate from the formation that you paid for? 

12 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

I just noticed that this doesn't seem to be limited to replacing trays that were removed. 

Do you think there's going to be something in the rules about adding trays not letting you deviate from the formation that you paid for? 

I doubt it.  I don't see anything game breaking in allowing a relatively fragile hero to add a handful of trays to a unit.  The real question, in my mind, is where am I allowed to add those trays?  Do I have to add them to the back row?  Do I have to create a new back row if the current back row is "full"?  Can I add the trays to my front row, thereby increasing my threat with each new tray?  Inquiring minds want to know.

I assume that we'll get a rules blurb about adding trays when he comes out.  I'm assuming that added trays can make a unit deeper, but not wider.

42 minutes ago, Elliphino said:

Am I really understanding this guy's attack correctly? I must be missing something because this seems absolutely devastating: One white die + 3-7 damage from runes. If he gets double surge, he can get up to 4 additional white dice? Holy moly. I know he doesn't have brutal, but would he really need it?

When attacking in melee, he gets one white die. When attacking with ranged attacks, he rolls a number of white die equal to the number of unstable runes. So his ranged attack is 0, 2, or 4 white dice. His surge ability just recovers one wound. The line beneath that is an asterisk because at the bottom of the card, it shows his ranged attack value and it shows "[white dice]=[unstable energy]*" with an asterisk after the unstable energy symbol.

6 minutes ago, KrisWall said:

I doubt it.  I don't see anything game breaking in allowing a relatively fragile hero to add a handful of trays to a unit.  The real question, in my mind, is where am I allowed to add those trays?  Do I have to add them to the back row?  Do I have to create a new back row if the current back row is "full"?  Can I add the trays to my front row, thereby increasing my threat with each new tray?  Inquiring minds want to know.

I assume that we'll get a rules blurb about adding trays when he comes out.  I'm assuming that added trays can make a unit deeper, but not wider.

He's potentially doubling the maximum sized formation of Reanimate Archers in two rounds (assuming the ability uses green runes). 

Edited by WWHSD

1 hour ago, WWHSD said:

He's potentially doubling the maximum sized formation of Reanimate Archers in two rounds (assuming the ability uses green runes). 

Potentially, yes.  BUT...  that requires a few ifs.

You'll get the following when you cast runes...

• 0 Green 12.5% of the time.
  • 1 Green 37.5% of the time.
  • 2 Green 37.5% of the time.
  • 3 Green 12.5% of the time.

That's not super reliable.  You're just as likely to get zero green as you are to get three.  75% of the time, you'll get 1 or 2, with an average of 1.5 if you were to try a kajillion times.  So, on average, it'll take 4 rounds of using the skill to get 6 trays of Reanimates...  assuming he lives that long.  He only has 5 wounds.  Taking a wound for every tray he places is going to kill him pretty quickly.  Yes, he potentially has the ability to heal himself, but with an average of two white dice, he only has a 22% chance to get the two surges he needs to recover 1 health.  Four white dice gives him a better shot, but you never know.  He might get zero white dice.

In other words, yes, he CAN add 6 trays of Archers over the course of two turns, but that's unlikely to happen and he'd likely kill himself in the process.

33 minutes ago, KrisWall said:

Potentially, yes.  BUT...  that requires a few ifs.

You'll get the following when you cast runes...

• 0 Green 12.5% of the time.
  • 1 Green 37.5% of the time.
  • 2 Green 37.5% of the time.
  • 3 Green 12.5% of the time.

That's not super reliable.  You're just as likely to get zero green as you are to get three.  75% of the time, you'll get 1 or 2, with an average of 1.5 if you were to try a kajillion times.  So, on average, it'll take 4 rounds of using the skill to get 6 trays of Reanimates...  assuming he lives that long.  He only has 5 wounds.  Taking a wound for every tray he places is going to kill him pretty quickly.  Yes, he potentially has the ability to heal himself, but with an average of two white dice, he only has a 22% chance to get the two surges he needs to recover 1 health.  Four white dice gives him a better shot, but you never know.  He might get zero white dice.

In other words, yes, he CAN add 6 trays of Archers over the course of two turns, but that's unlikely to happen and he'd likely kill himself in the process.

I forgot about the self damage. That does put a bit of a check on that ability from getting out of control.

Really, I think we'll be seeing him used to add 1 tray at a time depending on which unit he thinks needs to survive an extra round.  It's an "up to" ability.  If you get 3 green tokens, you can always opt to add only 1 tray and take 1 damage.  Adding one tray at a time and attempting to regain health via surges will make Mr. Maro more of a threat throughout the whole game.

Take several 2x1 units of Archers with Rank Discipline.  On turn 1, add a single tray to one of them.  On turn 2, add a single tray to another one of them.  Now, when they shoot on turn 3, you're getting to re-roll both dice once and one of the dice a second time.  You'll retain your full re-roll that much longer.  I think Maro will be best in this capacity.  Slowly damage himself to slowly bulk up your units OR damage himself big to help out a key unit at the right time.

8 hours ago, WWHSD said:

I might be the only one who thinks so, but I'm pretty sure it's Blue Runes, not green ones. We'll know soon enough though, I suppose.

3 minutes ago, Elliphino said:

I might be the only one who thinks so, but I'm pretty sure it's Blue Runes, not green ones. We'll know soon enough though, I suppose.

i also thought it was the blue square runes.  actually im pretty sure it is the blue runes

25 minutes ago, Elliphino said:

Blue = Square
Green = Circle
Red = Triangle

It does indeed appear to be the blue rune that he uses.

Finally, a reason for Waiqar to want blue runes.

Edited by Tvayumat

19 minutes ago, Klaxas said:

i also thought it was the blue square runes.  actually im pretty sure it is the blue runes

Ditto ... and that's great because you're going to have one Blue every. single. turn. (and sometimes a bonus second).