Sign in to follow this  
Click5

An FYI on the Rune Tokens

I'm sure most people on here who have dabbled with the Arkham Horror LCG have thought about this, but coin protector capsules are a great way to bling out your game experience.  Someone (genius) recommended them for the Chaos token bag in the LCG and I immediately bought in, having a few left over my mind jumped to the rune tokens.  I think they are slightly smaller than the LCG tokens so there was a bit of play with the 26mm case, but once closed there was no rattling.  The 25mm would probably be a perfect match, but would be difficult to remove, buy at your own risk.  

They add just the right amount of heft to make it a more satisfying experience.

IMG_20161122_111413.jpg

7 hours ago, blkdymnd said:

I wonder why they didn't just do dice.  Hopefully there will be some third party rune dice, but I really like this idea

That would change the probabilities, and I can guarantee that some abilities will let you flip them.

8 hours ago, blkdymnd said:

I wonder why they didn't just do dice.  Hopefully there will be some third party rune dice, but I really like this idea

The same reason they use tokens instead of dice for gamestate indicators, in this and other games like Destiny.

Dice are prone to being jostled. Tokens aren't.

I actually just 3D-printed some dice over the weekend. I'm currently sanding and priming them, but I'll throw a picture up when I get home today. I really dislike the idea of tokens, as I feel like they are easier to manipulate and can easily become sticky/stained. And lets be honest, if your a tabletop wargamer, you just like dice.

my only real issue with the tokens is you kinda have to practically throw them to keep them from landing on each other and/or actually being randomized. Simply grabbing them in one hand, attempting to shake them a bit, and tossing them like you would dice tends to get virtually the same result every time (for me anyway). I have to toss them UP so they actually tumble a bit, which sometimes makes me miss the board lol.

I just noticed that every time i treated them just like dice the runes never changed. Flat discs dont shuffle naturally in one hand.

14 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

my only real issue with the tokens is you kinda have to practically throw them to keep them from landing on each other and/or actually being randomized. Simply grabbing them in one hand, attempting to shake them a bit, and tossing them like you would dice tends to get virtually the same result every time (for me anyway). I have to toss them UP so they actually tumble a bit, which sometimes makes me miss the board lol.

I just noticed that every time i treated them just like dice the runes never changed. Flat discs dont shuffle naturally in one hand.

I usually see people cup their hands together and shake the rune tokens. I don't think that will change your opinion any, but it's just a little something that could let the tokens flip and randomize a little better before you cast them.

33 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

Dense, heavy ones do.