Sign in to follow this  
FatherTurin

Rune Manipulation Design Space

I know that we are still in Wave 0, but I've been thinking about the energy/rune mechanic (one of the most interesting ways I have seen to handle magic in a wargame, btw), and the design space that opens up.  Here are some ideas I had:

1) upgrades that allow you to cast X runes by exhausting them.

2) upgrades that simply flip a rune to the other side.

3) upgrades that swap mentions of one rune on a unit for another (although Rune Golems with the potential for Brutal 4 may be a little bit too much)

4) upgrades that can be exhausted or discarded to add 1 energy of a type to the pool for the round

I'm sure we will start to see these with the command expansion and the Waiqar caster hero, but I'm excited to see what they do with it.  Any other thoughts?

2 is clearly going to happen, otherwise the "other side reference" wouldn't be there.

4 is likely, they do stuff like that in x-wing.

3 I think might be odd, but potentially it could work, especially if they only make it accessible to specific units.

1 Is a strong possibility, also a reason for the reference.

Agreed, #2 is definitely happening. Might even be a wave2 thing or introduced with the other 2 armies.

#1 i dont think would happen because, at least so far, nothing using runes actually spends them or gives you an opportunity to spend them so that'd be rather odd to include. #3/4 on the other hand sound likely though expensive as balls.