Warpedstorm

First attempt at painting Runewars models

51 minutes ago, Xargonaut said:

Great work! I just started my Waiqar myself (8 minis done). If you are to batch paint, I suggest you paint all minis with the same pose at once (4 at a time), because this way you learn from the first mini what are the the tricky spots to paint on that pose, and apply that knowledge immediately to the following three minis. It saves time I think.

I'm of the same opinion. Simplifies the workflow when you aren't constantly readjusting your approach from mini to mini a little.

2 hours ago, Deathseed said:

I'm of the same opinion. Simplifies the workflow when you aren't constantly readjusting your approach from mini to mini a little.

A very simple idea which I had not thought of, just tried it and works very well, thanks.

16 hours ago, Warpedstorm said:

Sure, I'll list what I try to do with the skulls. All citadel paints.

undercoat with abaddon black, then two coats of screaming skull, then cover with agrax earthshade, usually twice, the second applied when the first is dry as the first coat provides the texture for the wash to stick.

Let this dry then highlight the raised areas with ushabti bone, avoid the recesses and leave some of the gradient provided by the wash. I then apply a tiny tiny little bit of water to the brush to help merge the highlight with the darker shading. I also use a 1-1100 brush for this.

finally highlight the peaks with a touch of screaming skull again. That's it.

i will try and take some wip pics to illustrate.

hope that helps.

Klonoa, Updated post with picks as promised for the bone shading and highlighting.

After base colours

849608b76a284eee68ef8297f7d6811a_zpswjgr

After 2 washes of agrax earthshade, what a difference a wash makes

a34ad0cc12082d8caae9e6806fae5157_zpsgvby

Then compared to the final highlighted figure 

c62979af13871e5d25ef07cd0d2e11f4_zpszkkt

Edited by Warpedstorm

Just picked up one of each of the expansions, can't wait to start painting the undead command unit.

im part way through painting the carrion lancer and .... it's not really doing it for me. Got the basic colours down and started highlighting but unsure if the colour scheme is working. The dry brushing resulted in too much of a pastel look for me. Will continue and see how it goes but any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated, does it look alright?

3cfae89ab3cd1757b5323aed8edc9117_zpsmnlx

50e21a072b6dd3a8bd744d0f2780642c_zpsbxoz

4 minutes ago, Contrapulator said:

The blue armor looks great, but I would prefer a paler underbelly for more contrast.

I agree, I'm trying to highlight further to see if I can get more of a contrast. My initial thought was to use  the colour scheme from a genestealer but not sure it's working.

I'm not sure your blue and purple are getting along well, particularly after you stacked on red, green, and magenta. The more I look at it, the red saddle blanket and magenta might be the 'wrong' bits to my eyes throwing it. A bit antagonistic maybe.

On 27/05/2017 at 6:06 PM, King Cheesecake said:

I congratulate you on being the first to make the worm slime not green :D

Great painting btw.

Cheers, I'm rather pleased with the way he came out in the end. May make some changes for the next one

On 27/05/2017 at 5:46 PM, Darthain said:

I'm not sure your blue and purple are getting along well, particularly after you stacked on red, green, and magenta. The more I look at it, the red saddle blanket and magenta might be the 'wrong' bits to my eyes throwing it. A bit antagonistic maybe.

Yes, I do tend to agree, I wanted the blue and purple colour scheme but then also wanted to get consistency with the reanimates which added in too many colour variants, still I'm pleased with the final result. Thanks for the comments though, will think on the feedback for the next one

4 hours ago, Vineheart01 said:

Probably the first time ive seen the necromancer not painted to be a skeleton, even though his ribs are showing hes not just bone he has flesh on there. The purple flesh really gives him that near-zombie look and works great.

Thanks for the comments, I'm rather pleased with the way he came out.

After seeing some cracking paint jobs on here I decided it's time to try painting some of the humans. Initial thought was purple and gold for that royal, elite look, inspired by fulgrim and the pre heresy emperors children.

started well but it really wasn't doing it for me. Purple is also a complete pain to paint as you need so many layers.

354785e4a2f4afca7a7fc25c3668ccea_zpsx9zk

0b0ab5da68abea94a58c7c848e86a1f7_zps7lt7

2a07517b9ab030c7edcb6886ed7e4f9c_zpsdwm5

not sold on the result after the wash and relayering so I decided to revert to the blue gold default look. Have to say it stands out far more on the battlefield so I'm going with the blue.

4489299d87370bf1ed85b4aaa767e076_zps4jjz

df071f3530bf827230ed1320f21ac254_zps5uyg

34dfc1b0d57c16982997c8186becb152_zpstxxp

29efbd49ff44139a85358e7d27356c74_zps4uti

Edited by Warpedstorm

Yeah purple armor on the daqans look kinda odd. That was my original scheme too since for some reason i keep trying to apply the same scheme my Tau used (Purple/Green/sprinkle of White spots) and it just never works lol.

Be prepared to go nuts with that trim though. That alone easily bumped my painting time by like 75% on those ratfinks. If i didnt have 16 spearmen, kari, 4 oaths, and a golem painted with it i'd consider shifting to a steel metal with no trim :P

16 hours ago, Warpedstorm said:

After seeing some cracking paint jobs on here I decided it's time to try painting some of the humans. Initial thought was purple and gold for that royal, elite look, inspired by fulgrim and the pre heresy emperors children.

started well but it really wasn't doing it for me. Purple is also a complete pain to paint as you need so many layers.

What range of purple are you using that coverage is low? I've never had an issue with purples and use mostly Vallejo.

Looks good, although I'm not a fan of the default scheme (or full colour armour).

6 hours ago, Vineheart01 said:

Yeah purple armor on the daqans look kinda odd. That was my original scheme too since for some reason i keep trying to apply the same scheme my Tau used (Purple/Green/sprinkle of White spots) and it just never works lol.

Be prepared to go nuts with that trim though. That alone easily bumped my painting time by like 75% on those ratfinks. If i didnt have 16 spearmen, kari, 4 oaths, and a golem painted with it i'd consider shifting to a steel metal with no trim :P

I always use to love a purple and green paint scheme on my elder. Worked really nicely and was different.

yes I think doing all that gold trimming will drive me nuts but I'm a slow plodder with my painting so I don't mind it taking a while. May regret it after the first 5 though.