Willange

*Grumble Grumble* Why aren't the rest of the expansions on the boat yet?

42 minutes ago, Willange said:

Last time I complained about this, the first batch went on the boat in like, a day.  I figure if I post this now, then we'll get the rest of them on the boat sooner.  Come friends, we must use our forum-powers to get expansions here sooner!

4 out of 6 are :P

22 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

The only expansion I care about at the moment is the one they are revealing on Monday!

Hopefully.

Hmmm? 

1 hour ago, Lyraeus said:

Hmmm? 

Hopefully the Uthuk Y'llan Army Expansion will be announced on Monday, since the elves were last Monday. My prdeiction: 4 trays of Berserkers, 2 trays of Obscenes, 1 tray for the Chaos Lord, and Ravos as the hero.

To be honest, Obscenes don't excite me much, but there are already two ranged and two cavalry units In the other three factions, so I suspect the Uthuk will be the first to have a "Heavy Infantry" unit. Unfortunately, no Viper Legion yet, I suspect. I sure hope I'm wrong!

7 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

Hopefully the Uthuk Y'llan Army Expansion will be announced on Monday, since the elves were last Monday. My prdeiction: 4 trays of Berserkers, 2 trays of Obscenes, 1 tray for the Chaos Lord, and Ravos as the hero.

To be honest, Obscenes don't excite me much, but there are already two ranged and two cavalry units In the other three factions, so I suspect the Uthuk will be the first to have a "Heavy Infantry" unit. Unfortunately, no Viper Legion yet, I suspect. I sure hope I'm wrong!

If I knew what any of those were I would understand but I am jumping into this game becuase I like ffg and want a game for this ground based itch. 

Do tell me more about these units ^_^

They're all in BattleLore, Rune Age, and Runewars (boardgame). You can also read a slim bit about these units in the lore guide, but it's pretty sparse on details. To start, the Uthuk Y'llan are a mix of nomadic barbarians and demons. The barbarians have participated in depraved blood rites that have caused them to sprout horns and spines all over their bodies, so they're not exactly human anymore.

Berserkers - These are the foot soldiers of the Uthuk Army. They are usually depicted carrying scythes or sickles. The Blood Harvesters of BattleLore look much more like the Berserkers of Runewars, while the Berserkers of Rune Age look like the Berserkers in BattleLore. But that's not important is probably just really confusing. The main focus of Berserkers is that the unit gets stronger as it takes more damage. In Runewars, they could sacrifice a unit to deal two damage (suffer one, deal two). In Rune Age, their strength increases from 1 to 3 when wounded. In BattleLore, they could sacrifice a figure in the unit to deal damage, but also rolled more dice if fewer figures were remaining in the unit. We'll likely see something similar in Runewars Miniatures Game. I'm guessing a surge ability will let them suffer damage to deal damage. Maybe they'll have a static ability that gives them a bonus for missing figures from trays. I'm not sure how that would work though.

Obscenes - These are fat, obese, disgusting cannibals. They eat pretty much any living flesh. They are slow-moving, but very powerful. It's not as clear to me what their theme is as it is for the Berserkers. The Runewars ability is tough to explain. He gives the opposing army -1 strength for each routed figure, which doesn't mean much if you haven't played the game. In Rune Age, he "eats" wounded units by discarding them and then doubling his strength from 4 to 8. In BattleLore, Obscenes have a speed of 1, but they can move an extra hex if it will end their movement next to an enemy. This ability is called "craving." They also can counter attack an enemy before being forced to retreat. In Runewars Miniatures Game, I think they'll be slow-moving and roll lots of red dice, but I have no idea what sort of special abilities they'll have.

Chaos Lord - A towering demon with many spines protruding from its body and many tentacles protruding from its mouth. These are the most powerful unit in the Uthuk army and are known for being terrifying. In fact, in Runewars and BattleLore, it's ability is named "Terrifying." In Runewars, it can rout two standing units or destroy to routed units. In Rune Age, it can destroy or wound any unit in play. In BattleLore, the Terrifying ability causes two retreats each time you activate it, the Immovable ability lets it ignore 1 retreat, and the Massive ability means it is too big to enter buildings. This is will definitely be the siege unit of the starting Uthuk army. Other than having lots of red dice, I'm not sure what it will do. Maybe it will issue panic tokens to engaged enemies. That would be thematically on-point and be quite powerful. Maybe too powerful. But then again, if it is a unique surge ability, and if he has no blue dice, it won't trigger too often, I don't think.

Ravos the Everhungry - A hero (villain?) from the app, BattleLore: Command. Ravos is a giant obscene that leads the other obscenes. He wields a hefty scythe. In BattleLore: Command, one of his abilities was to deal damage to all adjacent enemy units. I could see something like that being used in Runewars Miniatures Game, though maybe it is too similar to Kari. But if Ravos had this ability, it would be restricted to melee only, so wouldn't be as devastating as Kari Wraithstalker currently seems to be.

We already know Ravos is the hero, and with him being the leader of the Obscenes, it just makes sense that they'll be included in the starting army. It's not too different from Aliana who rides to battle with other Leonx Riders, and therefore both Aliana and Leonx Riders are included in the Latari Elves Army Expansion. The Berserkers have always been the grunt of the Uthuk Y'llan, so there's no doubts about them being the standard infantry. And the Chaos Lord is the sterotypical big-baddie, so its role as siege is a given. Everything matches up, in my mind, so I really expect this to be the contents of the Uthuk Y'llan Army Expansion.

7 minutes ago, Corrinmana said:

I think whatever they call the hellhounds is more likely as the two tray unit. (huh, just tried to find the RuneAge art and found out RuneAge isn't a game anymore)

Flesh Rippers? They're more popular and I think they need to be released eventually, but I just don't see them giving us Ravos without some other Obscenes. I would prefer Fleshrippers, though.

You can still access the Rune Age site. It's just not linked on their website: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/rune-age/

Edited by Budgernaut
Flesh Rippers is two words, apparently.

3 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

Fleshrippers? They're more popular and I think they need to be released eventually, but I just don't see them giving us Ravos without some other Obscenes. I would prefer Fleshrippers, though.

You can still access the Rune Age site. It's just not linked on their website: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/rune-age/

My guess is berserkers as infantry. Fleshrippers as special. Ravos as the character and obsenes as the heavy.  I think the chaos Lord should be multi tray honestly.

Edited by Klaxas

Just now, Klaxas said:

My guess is berserkers as infantry. Fleshrippers as special. Ravos as the character and obsenes as the heavy.  I think the chaos Lord should be multi tray honestly

Interesting. I hadn't considered that possibility. That could be. I just wonder what Ravos will look like since he's supposed to be the biggest of any Obscene.

1 minute ago, Budgernaut said:

Interesting. I hadn't considered that possibility. That could be. I just wonder what Ravos will look like since he's supposed to be the biggest of any Obscene.

Well I'm guessing he won't need a scenic base lol

6 minutes ago, power500500 said:

I would've said Flesh Rippers for sure but someone says that Ravos is confirmed so I guess obscenes make more sense. I am curious though, where did we hear about Ravos because I can't quite remember.

I should put "confirmed" in quotes. He's on the poster below. It shows all four factions and a picture of the heros. We see Kari Wraithstalker, Ardus Ix'Erebus, and Aliana. The Uthuk hero is clearly Ravos from BattleLore: Command, and he's mentioned in the Lore Guide.

16403416_1812433129030337_33479075178473

Edited by Budgernaut
Grammar are hard.

Yeah, I remember his mention in the Lore Guide but actually seeing him on that poster completely slipped by me. Yeah, I think I'm definitely putting my chips on Obscenes now which I always kinda liked those fatties husking around the battlefield.

1 hour ago, Budgernaut said:

I should put "confirmed" in quotes. He's on the poster below. It shows all four factions and a picture of the heros. We see Kari Wraithstalker, Ardus Ix'Erebus, and Aliana. The Uthuk hero is clearly Ravos from BattleLore: Command, and he's mentioned in the Lore Guide.

He's also on the cover of the Essentials pack. He has to be the first Uthuk hero.

I'm just getting started but I'm definitely stoked to see new stuff coming down the pipeline. 

I'm sure it's farther down but I'm pretty hopeful/excited for orcs :) 

5 hours ago, Corrinmana said:

He's probably the first, but I actually think that makes obscenes less likelyinto be the unit. It would make him less unique. They'll be an expansion unit.

Maybe. But I would have said the same thing about Aliana and Leonx Riders, and we're getting both of those with the Latari Elves Army Expansion.

We may get obsenes as the special if we do the heavy will be something new I think not a chaos Lord.  I'm still betting obsenes are the heavy and flesh rippers are he special although maybe thats wishful thinking

On 4/14/2017 at 7:40 PM, Budgernaut said:

I'm personally hoping the two-tray unit will be Fleshrippers, but if the hero is an Obscene (Ravos) I can see the elite unit being some Obscenes for him to hang out with, too.

I'm not sure whether to expect berserkers or blood harvesters as infantry, but I'm hoping the single tray unit is a scorpion rider.

We haven't seen any of the "large" units from Battlelore, yet, and the Rune Golems used to be the same size as the Obscenes so... who knows?

It seems to me that if we're getting an Obscene as the Uthuk hero it'd be unusual to put a lesser Obscene as a siege unit in the same set... I'd prefer some variety.  If not a Chaos Lord, maybe a Grotesque?  I like their imagery in Battlelore, and this would be a chance to improve on them too!