Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
eilif

Eilif's Daqan (5/24 coming back for more?)

Recommended Posts

Green stuff, ha!

The color was a bit of a surprise.  It's called "Rustoleum 2xUltra Cover Satin Leafy Green"  I expected something a bit more sagey and dusty, but it came out very similar to old-school army men green.  (that bolder OD color the toys used to be).  

With the 2x paints you have to paint lightly and quckly to avoid obscuring detail, but it worked well.  I'm glad that it came out brighter though as it's always better to have brighter colors under a dip because the dip will darken things quite a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since all my arms are falling off anyway (seriously disappointed by the pegs and joints), I'm going to be doing the same thing and mixing it up where I can.  Just drill out the holes and file down the pegs and add a little green stuff and bam! new sculpt.  Over half the pegs are too short for a stable join, even with glue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Crifmer said:

Since all my arms are falling off anyway (seriously disappointed by the pegs and joints), I'm going to be doing the same thing and mixing it up where I can.  Just drill out the holes and file down the pegs and add a little green stuff and bam! new sculpt.  Over half the pegs are too short for a stable join, even with glue.

What kind of glue are you using?

 I trimmed a bit of the corners off the pegs to maximize possible arm positions for the spearmen. Then I just pushed them together and even water-thin superglue held quite rock solid for almost all of them.  For one or two figs that were too loose I just used gel-thick superglue.  No need for greenstuff in my case.

Edited by eilif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Daqan Troops are nearly done. 
Spears and Cav are Block painted and ready for the Polyshades.
DSCN2656-570x428.jpg

 

Full Blog post and lots more pictures here here:
https://www.chicagoskirmishwargames.com/blog/2017/04/14/runewars-painting-the-daqan-lords-part-1-creative-assembly/

In it I discuss in a bit more detail the things I've been trying to speed up the painting process including experimenting with satin hardware store spray paint, Sand/Cement mix for basing, Silver paint pens and rediscovering old GW decals. 

DSCN2659-570x428.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally put the finishing touches on my Daqan Army.
DSCN2802-570x428.jpg

Obviously it's a real basic tabletop job, but it came together nicely and I'm glad to have the chance to try some new things including Rustoleum Satin Spray paints, paint pens, emersion dipping and a few others.
Full Gallery and notes on process here:
https://www.chicagoskirmishwargames.com/blog/2017/05/04/runewars-daqan-army-finished/

DSCN2787.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2017 at 3:30 AM, Orcdruid said:

Its more than statistical. Only 10% of people are left handed.

At least historically a lot of lefties ended up living as righties because that's how things were done so I'd expect those numbers to be even lower.

My understanding is that sort of military formation based on shields and spears kind of breaks down a bit if you have people using their weapons in different hands. I did think it was odd that the cavalry had swords in their left hands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WWHSD said:

I did think it was odd that the cavalry had swords in their left hands.

Yeah, it's an odd choice.  I'm all for a mix, but I wonder if the digital sculptor just didn't realize he or she was making all the cav lefites. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought I was going to let this force sit for a while til more units are released but i just finalized a deal for 2 more starters of daqan.

More converting and painting coming up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2017 at 7:44 PM, WWHSD said:

At least historically a lot of lefties ended up living as righties because that's how things were done so I'd expect those numbers to be even lower.

My understanding is that sort of military formation based on shields and spears kind of breaks down a bit if you have people using their weapons in different hands. I did think it was odd that the cavalry had swords in their left hands.

Or they stick all the lefties on horses are they are useless in a block of regulars holding a shield like that.  In cav you aren't really fighting to cover the guy next to you, as you would be in a foot formation of that style.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going to pick up the figs in a couple hours and am pondering what conversions to do.

 What do you all think of the idea of cutting a few spearmen at the waist and swapping with some of the horsemen torsos?  It'd add some variety to the horsemen and give me some dramatic cloak-waving seargents with swords to spice up my infantry units.

Alternatively, I could just cut off the arms of both and swap them.

Either way would mix up the righty/lefty thing a bit too.

4 hours ago, Darthain said:

Or they stick all the lefties on horses are they are useless in a block of regulars holding a shield like that.  In cav you aren't really fighting to cover the guy next to you, as you would be in a foot formation of that style.

I like that logic well enough, but if anything, wouldn't the guys on horses be the rich dudes regardless of their handed-ness?

Truth is, I generally shy away from trying to apply logic to fantasy gaming or the quirks of game designers.  ;)

Edited by eilif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, eilif said:

Going to pick up the figs in a couple hours and am pondering what conversions to do.

 What do you all think of the idea of cutting a few spearmen at the waist and swapping with some of the horsemen torsos?  It'd add some variety to the horsemen and give me some dramatic cloak-waving seargents with swords to spice up my infantry units.

Alternatively, I could just cut off the arms of both and swap them.

Either way would mix up the righty/lefty thing a bit too.

I like that logic well enough, but if anything, wouldn't the guys on horses be the rich dudes regardless of their handed-ness?

Truth is, I generally shy away from trying to apply logic to fantasy gaming or the quirks of game designers.  ;)

I'm sticking with my theory given our lack of fluff to disprove me.  That or lefties are thr natural leaders, I'm ok with that too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2017 at 7:11 PM, Darthain said:

I'm sticking with my theory given our lack of fluff to disprove me.  That or lefties are thr natural leaders, I'm ok with that too

That's the beauty of vague fantasy settings.  Whatever you come up with is just as valid as any other explaination.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...