AllWingsStandyingBy

So, we're just getting "Empire Strikes Back 2" then, huh? Sad.

7 hours ago, GrimmyV said:

Movie magic!  never build more than you need.  Movie sets are just back drops and props, Not real working objects.  You don't need to go all Tolkein about world building to create a world that seems to have history.

If I recall, he never intended for much of his extensive work to be published. Most of that world building was for his own enjoyment only but it served to help him write the LOTR stories with a coherent setting.

6 hours ago, xstormtrooperx said:

And you seem like a person who is not very well in putting the pictures in context. After thinking about it - this teaser trailer sucks. I hope the movie won´´ t... But it looks a lot like it will.

And so it seems Rogue One will be the only good Disney Star Wars Film for a while...

Actually, I'm very, very good at that.

What I don't do however, is draw a conclusion based on a biased preconception that episodes 7 - 9 will be in effect Disney remaking episodes 4 - 6. A lot of people have come before the court of Disney and insisted that that's what they will do. Sadly, episode 7 reinforced this point of view. Whilst I also see the similarities in story between the Magnificent Seven and Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samuri, I enjoy both films and while the Magnificent Seven is a "remake" of sorts. It also manages to stand on its own as a western. Episode 7 also manages to stand on its own, despite the presence of an emo teen disguised as a sith lord (not Adam Drivers fault, he can only follow the script and direction he is given). I enjoyed episode 7 and will enjoy the rest of the films to come. I also enjoy the first 3 films of the trilogy, those being the second 3 films to be made. While they have their flaws they provide more lightsaber combat than any of the other films, I enjoy this as do my children.

The "teaser" trailer shows very, very little of what could be in episode 8 and if Rogue One should make people aware of anything it's that Disney sometimes go a different road when they edit (not always the right one sadly). Hopefully they won't make the same mistake twice.

what was the mistake on rogue one when they edited it ? I felt it was for the better for the most part. Or were you referring that it was well done, but it could had gone wrong, just that we don't know what will happen with TLJ ?

Edited by DreadStar

All I know is that TFA didn't have Maz handing the lightsabre to Rey and the cool reverse hyperspace jump, and Rogue One didn't have a lot of the beach scenes and that TIE fighter at the walkway scene.  All of these were super cool scenes that made the trailers awesome but were cut for various reasons.  Who knows what's gonna be left out of the movie from the latest trailer.  

Also, TFA was different enough from ANH for my liking, it had a very different feel.  Rogue One also was different enough from The Dirty Dozen despite everyone dying in the end that it was its own film.

Hope.  Just have hope.  Not all is lost.

I loved TFA and thought its substance completely different than ANH, with a few visual similarities thrown in. I expect the same out of TLJ.

And best of all, knowing we've had parallel visuals for the first two sequel films, I can rest easy knowing we'll have parallel ewoks in just 2 short years from now!!! YUB YUB COMMANDER!

23 hours ago, Alexhurlbut said:

I like Machete order. So...does one start with Rogue One if one add it to the machete order (Rogue One/IV, V, II, III, VI)?

I think so. R1 doesn't spoil anything about the prequels IIRC so the big reveal in ESB is preserved (as per the intention of machete order). The only downside is that R1 doesn't quite set the scene so well as ANH but that is a minor quibble.

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 6:43 PM, Alexhurlbut said:

I like Machete order. So...does one start with Rogue One if one add it to the machete order (Rogue One/IV, V, II, III, VI)?

Of the movies that count, I'd say Star Wars, Empire, Jedi, TFA, and then Rogue One for a Star Wars virgin. If not a Star Wars virgin, Rogue One first.

Much of what makes Rogue One special is how awesome it is to like Star Wars already and see a hyper concentrated, fan service oriented movie. If you see Rogue One first being a Star Wars virgin you won't get that.

Even if the prequels were good movies, the problem with them is that they spoil things in the OT. Darth Vader being Luke's father is supposed to be a surprise. If I was a Star Wars virgin and the prequels were good, it'd be best to watch the prequels last.

Edited by Turbo Toker

10 hours ago, Turbo Toker said:

Of the movies that count, I'd say Star Wars, Empire, Jedi, TFA, and then Rogue One for a Star Wars virgin. If not a Star Wars virgin, Rogue One first.

Much of what makes Rogue One special is how awesome it is to like Star Wars already and see a hyper concentrated, fan service oriented movie. If you see Rogue One first being a Star Wars virgin you won't get that.

Even if the prequels were good movies, the problem with them is that they spoil things in the OT. Darth Vader being Luke's father is supposed to be a surprise. If I was a Star Wars virgin and the prequels were good, it'd be best to watch the prequels last.

erm, the Machete order spice up the story progression with the II and III being intended as "flashbacks" in between V and VI.  I didn't ask for any other methods, just whenever if Rogue One can be added to Machete Order with it starting off the watch order.

Edited by Alexhurlbut

22 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Just gonna say that I think the machete order is really dumb, and star wars ought to be viewed by order of release.

Excluding the clone wars movie who really needs to watch that honestly

Care to elaborate?

16 hours ago, DreadStar said:

what was the mistake on rogue one when they edited it ? I felt it was for the better for the most part. Or were you referring that it was well done, but it could had gone wrong, just that we don't know what will happen with TLJ ?

Some of the scenes from the theatrical trailers weren't in the final film, for whatever reason. Perhaps mistake was the wrong word. Perhaps I should have gone with "editorial oversight".

Disney clearly have input on the final release version of the films they produce, it would be very easy for them to go to far in the editing process and remove something which would have had more benefit than it's screen time portrayed.

2 hours ago, boomaster said:

Some of the scenes from the theatrical trailers weren't in the final film, for whatever reason. Perhaps mistake was the wrong word. Perhaps I should have gone with "editorial oversight".

Disney clearly have input on the final release version of the films they produce, it would be very easy for them to go to far in the editing process and remove something which would have had more benefit than it's screen time portrayed.

Trailer scenes not being in the final cut of a movie is not that uncommon

4 hours ago, boomaster said:

These trailers had been done before the post-production phase is over. In fact, it's very common for such non-ill intentioned mistakes to happen for the first released trailers/teasers, and sometimes completely on purpose to confuse the viewers and make the teaser less spoily (something i sorely miss nowadays) or to play bait and switch. Those scenes were probably very good for marketing purposes, but didn't fit into the narrative that well. If i am not mistaken about the combat scenes on the ground, that's when Cassian and Jyn had to run accross the beach after getting the data which Gareth felt was too hard to fit into the story. And i can't argue with the result.

I am not saying that Disney does not have input on the Final release, but rather questioning where they had been mistaken with Star Wars. I haven't really looked into TFA edits (i enjoyed it, but for me it is a rather average movie, if it wasn't about star wars i would probably forget about it, but one thing i am sure, JJ Abrams is more to blame about that than anybody else), but for rogue one they actually allowed the ending to be as it was, when they had an alternative more "positive" ending readily avaible for them.

Edited by DreadStar

8 hours ago, boomaster said:

They also must've re-shot the post Eadu scene where Cassian and Jyn have it out in the belly of the "U-wing." Except they clearly aren't in a U-wing at all. It's actually the set for interior of the cargo shuttle they take to Scariff. Don't know why they didn't have access to the set during that scene, or maybe they originally took the cargo shuttle to Eadu before re-shoots. Either way, once you notice it, it's super distracting. Wrong color, no windows, no seats, a ramp instead of side doors, the cockpit isn't connected, and Cassian exits the scene via ladder.

3 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Not really, but my thoughts are basically, "Yeah let's disrupt the flow of the films and the narrative for annie to have a flashback that is wholly irrelevant to the sequel."

So IV, V, VI, I, II, III, VII?

1 hour ago, Sekac said:

They also must've re-shot the post Eadu scene where Cassian and Jyn have it out in the belly of the "U-wing." Except they clearly aren't in a U-wing at all. It's actually the set for interior of the cargo shuttle they take to Scariff. Don't know why they didn't have access to the set during that scene, or maybe they originally took the cargo shuttle to Eadu before re-shoots. Either way, once you notice it, it's super distracting. Wrong color, no windows, no seats, a ramp instead of side doors, the cockpit isn't connected, and Cassian exits the scene via ladder.

The U-wing was destroyed on Eadu, they had to steal an imperial ship which they used to get into scariff later on, that's why they don't seem to be on a U-wing, because they are not. There is absolutely no inconsistency there.

Edited by DreadStar

1 hour ago, DreadStar said:

The U-wing was destroyed on Eadu, they had to steal an imperial ship which they used to get into scariff later on, that's why they don't seem to be on a U-wing, because they are not. There is absolutely no inconsistency there.

Oh. Huh. Weird. I've seen it twice and missed that both times. Oh well. Plenty of other inconsistencies to focus on :)

6 hours ago, Sekac said:

Oh. Huh. Weird. I've seen it twice and missed that both times. Oh well. Plenty of other inconsistencies to focus on :)

Like why doesn't the Death Star just shoot through Yavin at the moon instead of rolling arou-

Oh, wait, that's original trilogy, so it's a flawless gem, right? :P

2 hours ago, iamfanboy said:

Like why doesn't the Death Star just shoot through Yavin at the moon instead of rolling arou-

Oh, wait, that's original trilogy, so it's a flawless gem, right? :P

That one seems intuitively right though. Yavin was a gas giant - maybe the weapon didn't work on those. And it is also possible it would take too long to recharge.

1 hour ago, Verlaine said:

That one seems intuitively right though. Yavin was a gas giant - maybe the weapon didn't work on those. And it is also possible it would take too long to recharge.

And you don't know what will happen when the superlaser is turned on a Gas Giant. For a point of reference; if Jupiter had gotten just a bit more mass, or a lot of energy it could have become a Star.