AllWingsStandyingBy

So, we're just getting "Empire Strikes Back 2" then, huh? Sad.

So we've all seen the trailer.  What a disappointment.

Looks like TLJ:: ESB as TFA::ANH, and I found the "homage" aspect of TFA to be far too heavy-handed and stale.

But we've got:

Sandspeeders (instead of snowspeeders) racing across a sand desert (instead of an ice desert) to fight AT-ATs
Looks like we have Resistance ships possibly getting ready to run a blockade of the First Order's superior forces
Looks like Rey will be training with the exiled Yoda (I mean Luke) who is pessimistic about training her, probably
Looks very likely that Poe and Finn will get captured and tortured (Poe's Black One blowing up before he can get to it, and Finn in some torture-chair), just like Han was tortured on Cloud City, probably to draw Rey out (just like Luke)

Here's hoping it's a feign by LFL, but if Episode 8 is just ESB v2.0, I'm pretty much just sticking to the Non-Episodic Anthology Films, because TFA was junk as far as story and story-telling goes (though it looked beautiful).

Eh.....I think you force ESB into TLJ but I don't think it's going to be the same story. TFA exists like TPM, to draw in the fans. The key will be whether TLJ is ESB or AoTC. 

(How many more acronyms can I use?)

slight point. I don't think Finn is in a torture chair there. 

1 minute ago, Derpzilla88 said:

Oh look, the first "The Last Jedi is just going to be Empire Strikes Back redone and I know this for absolute fact because of a two minute teaser trailer," complaint thread. Honestly it showed up later than I expected it to.

You could always just not go see it instead of trying to bring down the movie before it's even released.

While the OP seems to think so, I don't think it is dragging it down. Empire was one of the best stories out there, and a movie with a similar flavor would be nice to see.

6 minutes ago, Derpzilla88 said:

Oh look, the first "The Last Jedi is just going to be Empire Strikes Back redone and I know this for absolute fact because of a two minute teaser trailer," complaint thread. Honestly it showed up later than I expected it to.

You could always just not go see it instead of trying to bring down the movie before it's even released.

15 minutes ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Yeah, I was kinda thinking I saw 2 minutes of nothing.  I certainly didn't get any notion of a storyline. . .

5 minutes ago, Derpzilla88 said:

Pssh. That requires critical thought, which after a long time of watching, I'm very sure the average fan of everything is not capable of.

6 minutes ago, Derpzilla88 said:

We do it for you, Derpy.  We do it for you.

I expected it to be ESB 2.0, but I didn't expect it to be god-damned "speeders flying across a desolate empty landscape at five AT-AT walkers levels of Empire."

Also, I don't know that Benicio Del Toro can pull of Lando 2.0

2 minutes ago, Zeoinx said:

Whatever those frigate, cruisers or whatever were for what might have been the rebellion with the what might be an A-wing look like crap. It looks like something NASA would have made.....

Those A-holes at NASA don't know a THING about space ships. 

1 minute ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

We do it for you, Derpy.  We do it for you.

I expected it to be ESB 2.0, but I didn't expect it to be god-damned "speeders flying across a desolate empty landscape at five AT-AT walkers levels of Empire."

Also, I don't know that Benicio Del Toro can pull of Lando 2.0

I won't pretend that The Last Jedi won't borrow bits and pieces from Empire (chances are high we'll see a Super Star Destroyer for the First Order. Empire's End pretty much highlighted that). But a few quick clips with only one sharing any true similarity to ESB is hardly reason to label the whole movie as ESB 2.0 right away before seeing the actual movie.

1 minute ago, sf1raptor said:

I want to know how you already know this after a 2 minute trailer? Also, the planet in space is green, not white/tan.

I never said I knew it, but good job tilting at Straw Men, Don Quixote.  I just said everything we have seen fits very nicely and neatly into an ESB-shaped package.  Especially since rumors also include a First Order SSD and FO TIE Bombers (per JRB7's spoiler video).  Also, to all those saying Finn is in a bacta-thing instead of a torture chair, that doesn't really lessen the potential ESB analogy ...

4 minutes ago, Zeoinx said:

Whatever those frigate, cruisers or whatever were for what might have been the rebellion with the what might be an A-wing look like crap. It looks like something NASA would have made.....

They're probably called L-Wings and they are probably a "small based" ship based on the LFL measurements they'll eventually put out for it. 

21 minutes ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Looks like TLJ:: ESB as TFA::ANH, and I found the "homage" aspect of TFA to be far too heavy-handed and stale.

But we've got:

Sandspeeders (instead of snowspeeders) racing across a sand desert (instead of an ice desert) to fight AT-ATs
Looks like we have Resistance ships possibly getting ready to run a blockade of the First Order's superior forces
Looks like Rey will be training with the exiled Yoda (I mean Luke) who is pessimistic about training her, probably
Looks very likely that Poe and Finn will get captured and tortured (Poe's Black One blowing up before he can get to it, and Finn in some torture-chair), just like Han was tortured on Cloud City, probably to draw Rey out (just like Luke)

Here's hoping it's a feign by LFL, but if Episode 8 is just ESB v2.0, I'm pretty much just sticking to the Non-Episodic Anthology Films, because TFA was junk as far as story and story-telling goes (though it looked beautiful).

It's wierd, people (me included) hated on the Lucas prequels, and with good reason. 

But in one area they beat ep.7 utterly. They were there own story. 

There is almost no real imagination in the new one, it's just a rehash/remix of the originals.

I really hope the new one isn't just another flashy film devoid of imagination.

In fairness Kylo is the one bright spot, a conflicted bad guy. Certainly more interesting than pretty much any of the new characters.

3 minutes ago, Derpzilla88 said:

I won't pretend that The Last Jedi won't borrow bits and pieces from Empire (chances are high we'll see a Super Star Destroyer for the First Order. Empire's End pretty much highlighted that). But a few quick clips with only one sharing any true similarity to ESB is hardly reason to label the whole movie as ESB 2.0 right away before seeing the actual movie.

Well, in 9 Months let's see, eh?

5 minutes ago, ObiWonka said:

Do you make money off being negative, or do you just do if for kicks?

It has nothing to do with being negative, TFA in my eyes was complete crap, the only real good thing about that movie is the fact we saw the Falcon do some fancy flying inside a star destroyers engine and hull, and come out the other side. The rest of the movie was boring, the new x-wings look 1000x more fragile, and I wanted to play kickball with the new droid instead of install it inside a fighter. 

Inverted colors on Tie Fighters, and slightly shinier white stormtroopers are not enough to impress me, as well as yet ONE MORE beam cannon super weapon that destroys planets. They need a new plot, they need actual talent writing a storyline, it was boring, hacky, and meh all around.

It honestly made prequels almost worth watching instead.....

Its like when EA releases **** titles full of bugs on release, you stop caring as much about the next release cause you know it will be **** too,,,,

Edited by Zeoinx

Just now, Zeoinx said:

the only real good thing about that movie is the fact we saw the Falcon do some fancy flying inside a star destroyers engine and hull, and come out the other side.

The Falcon already did that inside a Death Star, but you go ahead and like that even though you hated everything else for being a rehash.

If people set out to draw parallels, they'll draw parallels. And if they're going to let that ruin their enjoyment of a film, well, I can't stop them.

Just now, ObiWonka said:

The Falcon already did that inside a Death Star, but you go ahead and like that even though you hated everything else for being a rehash.

If people set out to draw parallels, they'll draw parallels. And if they're going to let that ruin their enjoyment of a film, well, I can't stop them.

aaannnnnnnnnnnnnd thats ruined now too, see, crap movie, all around.

4 minutes ago, Zeoinx said:

It has nothing to do with being negative, TFA in my eyes was complete crap, the only real good thing about that movie is the fact we saw the Falcon do some fancy flying inside a star destroyers engine and hull, and come out the other side. The rest of the movie was boring, the new x-wings look 1000x more fragile, and I wanted to play kickball with the new droid instead of install it inside a fighter. 

Inverted colors on Tie Fighters, and slightly shinier white stormtroopers are not enough to impress me, as well as yet ONE MORE beam cannon super weapon that destroys planets. They need a new plot, they need actual talent writing a storyline, it was boring, hacky, and meh all around.

It honestly made prequels almost worth watching instead.....

Its like when EA releases **** titles full of bugs on release, you stop caring as much about the next release cause you know it will be **** too,,,,

Out of curiosity (and in all honesty, I've been wanting to ask this to a lot of people that hate TFA just to see what the answers are) what would YOU have made the story be? Without just making movies of the Legends canon books, what would you have the overall storyline be for a sequel to Return of the Jedi?

Just now, Spider said:

It's wierd, people (me included) hated on the Lucas prequels, and with good reason. 

But in one area they beat ep.7 utterly. They were there own story. 

There is almost no real imagination in the new one, it's just a rehash/remix of the originals.

I really hope the new one isn't just another flashy film devoid of imagination.

In fairness Kylo is the one bright spot, a conflicted bad guy. Certainly more interesting than pretty much any of the new characters.

I prefer the Prequels to Episode 7, for basically that reason.

The Prequels expanded the Star Wars universe, and filled it with places and people and ships and things we hadn't yet seen.  They made the Star Wars universe feel bigger and slightly more flushed out, they gave it substance, and made it more interesting.  Episode 7 was empty and made Star Wars feel smaller and boring.  We never get a sense of scale, we just get a rehashed story full of fan-servicing winks toward the camera and we're left with far more questions than answers (but not in the good way).  In a "wait...if shields don't stop things in hyperspace why not just hyperspace an empty ******* GR75 right into the oscillator???" "Why should I care those five planets were just killed?"  etc.  Sure, the novels attempt to patch some of this poodoo pile into a patchwork quilt of passable mediocrity, but a movie that is supposed to "gain new fans and reinvigorate old" shouldn't require five novels to stand.

The Prequels were a great story told very poorly (effects, dialogue, etc.)
Episode 7 was a terrible story told wonderfully (effects, dialogue, etc.)

You can make the prequels drastically better by just editing out the dumb, silly, childish, or unnecessary parts and whittling away until you have some pretty decent (though shorter) films.  To make Ep7 a better movie, you need to add a lot of stuff that was entirely missing.

For these reasons, as a Star Wars fans, I much prefer the prequels over Episode 7, because at least they added to the world-building of Star Wars and made it feel bigger, fuller, and full of even more wonder.  Episode 7 just made me feel like they emptied the universe out and gave us a beautiful but empty husk, like a faberge egg when all I really wanted was a nice big omelette, but that faberge egg can't do anything for me there to satiate my hunger, even if it looks beautiful.