PaulTiberius

Last Jedi screen grabs of ... uh ... the "Bloody Blade Runner!"

(I captured these myself.)

These ships look to be atmospheric craft primarily, with pivoting airfoils around the central engine, and apparently an "open cockpit" preference on the part of these pilots nearest the camera. Clearly inspired by the B-wing, but the bends at the wing roots (a la the F4U Corsair?) suggest they have a clearly defined "up" orientation.

Enjoy! Discuss!

117.jpg

117-2.jpg

118.jpg

118-2.jpg

119.jpg

119-2.jpg

4 minutes ago, Odanan said:

Is there an utility of the thing touching the ground other than creating a cool effect? (much like the T70s almost touching the lake's surface in Ep. 7)

I was wondering about that, while noticing that the sand on the ground is gray/brown, but the sands pray is _red_. So I'm guessing they are doing _something_ by touching the ground. It might even be the point of the ships flying around in the first place.

1 hour ago, Viktus106 said:

Pod racing. 

Not again. :(

Those "trees" far off in the background are AT-AT walkers, so I dont think this is a race.

The red might be to provide them with cover once the battle starts, a fog so to speak.

2 hours ago, Punning Pundit said:

I was wondering about that, while noticing that the sand on the ground is gray/brown, but the sands pray is _red_. So I'm guessing they are doing _something_ by touching the ground. It might even be the point of the ships flying around in the first place.

I just thought it was the sand on top being baked by the sun (some sort of chemical reaction occurring under harsh UV that changes the colour of the sand on the surface) while the sand underneath keeps its rich red colour (some sort of Iron Oxide material)

Ultimately it's so they look cool right?

@Suhawk75 That is a really smart idea.

It could be an intimidation technique. I don't know much about true historical methods used in real battles, but I'm remidned of the line of warriors from William Wallace hooting and howling before they clash with the enemy in Braveheart, or even when the choppers are blasting Flight of the Valkyries in Apocolypse Now.

2 minutes ago, IronOx said:

Maybe some agricultural equipment pressed into service in an emergency? Like crop dusters or something similar.

Maybe... but they look very uniform... it's most likely an intentional screening of something/place/one

17 minutes ago, Lobokai said:

Maybe... but they look very uniform... it's most likely an intentional screening of something/place/one

I see someone doesn't understand how derivative these movies are...

Because, you see, on this new alien world, that dust from the surface QUICKLY re-hardens, in mere seconds, back into its solid state.  So the airspeeders - to take down the AT-ATs - need to fly towards their legs, and then make circles around them, to try and cause the walkers to trip over...

Similar to the angler fish's dangly lightbulb thing, it's all distraction.  There's actually underground tunnels with troops running toward the AT-ATs.  Those "ships" are paper maché and that little attachment to the ground is just the handle the troops are holding them up with!  

I think it's a cool design, that while it is surely Sci-Fi and even looks a bit Star Wars-ish... is also a NEW design and I like that.   

But it reminds me a bit of Episode 1....  "Now THIS is Pod Racing!"

There is a good chance these are  b-wings mark 2, the cockpit of which was used to make the resistance transport, which that ship was cobbled together uncluding a b-wing mark 2 armoured cockpit.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Resistance_transport

As to the red mist, we know First Order stormtrooper armour does not filter toxins, so maybe a chemical weapon.  The mist could be incendiary in nature, launching a bomb into the mist could ignite it.  

Edited by That Blasted Samophlange
Formatting