After painting almost all of my rebel fighters and some of my Imp fighters, I started thinking that it would be nice if my CR90's looked different from each other when on the table together.  So, I have a question for all of you guys that do such fantastic work when painting ships.

What steps do I have to follow to do this? I was thinking of keeping it really simple, such as making the current markings on the ship blue or green instead of the standard red. Do I need to do any prep work other then washing the model before painting it?  Will the current paint take new paint over it or will it look bad? 

Any input you guys have would be much appreciated.

Edited by mcworrell

4 hours ago, mcworrell said:

After painting almost all of my rebel fighters and some of my Imp fighters, I started thinking that it would be nice if my CR90's looked different from each other when on the table together.  So, I have a question for all of you guys that do such fantastic work when painting ships.

What steps do I have to follow to do this? I was thinking of keeping it really simple, such as making the current markings on the ship blue or green instead of the standard red. Do I need to do any prep work other then washing the model before painting it?  Will the current paint take new paint over it or will it look bad? 

Any input you guys have would be much appreciated.

For a touch-up job, all I do is wash in mildly soapy water and allow to dry thoroughly after a good rinse in clean water.  Using normal modelling acrylics (vallejo in my case), you can just paint over the existing surface, but it's not 100% durable and you might find you need to do little repairs from time to time.  On Rebel ships this usually works anyway.

For a full respray, I prime with a proper primer appropriate to the intended colour, and usually go with a matt varnish afterwards too.

for a touch up job on, after the soap bath, I would recommend a light inking (I use Army painter Dark /Black tone, but Nuln Oil/Devlan Mud is good too) then some small highlights.

less than one hour job for someone with no talent and very little technique like myself does that

17011807173122543814782035.jpg

beware if you start repainting, you might be wanting to go somewhat overboard like that^^

17031812084322543814926638.jpg

I always mat varnish anything I paint..

/edit: sorry, I'm a bad painter and a worse photographer

/edit2: if you want to try repainting, go for FFG nebulon B, its soooo much more easy, base coat, brushing, highlight and done, 2 hours time including base coat drying

Edited by gounour