Sign in to follow this  
keltheos

Hmmm...unit expansion boxes and command dials

So I read a question on another group that someone was worried the expansion boxes for the cav/archers/infantry/and I'd assume any expansion of a unit in the future don't come with command dials. Is that true? Does someone know for sure? The contents listings don't state them, just cards and trays and models...worried a bit that if you wanted to run two units of cav you'd need essentially two core boxed sets to get 'just' the dials. Is this the 'gotcha' buy for this game like the upgrades were for Xwing/Armada (we know they fixed that for RMG).

2 minutes ago, keltheos said:

So I read a question on another group that someone was worried the expansion boxes for the cav/archers/infantry/and I'd assume any expansion of a unit in the future don't come with command dials. Is that true? Does someone know for sure? The contents listings don't state them, just cards and trays and models...worried a bit that if you wanted to run two units of cav you'd need essentially two core boxed sets to get 'just' the dials. Is this the 'gotcha' buy for this game like the upgrades were for Xwing/Armada (we know they fixed that for RMG).

It would be one of the biggest fails in gaming if a dial doesn't come with expansions

That wouldn't make sense and in the articles about the boxes you can see the dials, only the infantry champion boxes, you does with the champion, banner bearer, musician and mage, do not have a dial becasue they are always part of a infnatry unit.

And it's very likely we get new units not included in ths starter somewhere down the road and those units woudl the need to come with dials.

Edited by Iceeagle85

given how FFG seems to overstock you with cardboard stuff in other games (good god so many shield tokens....) i highly doubt they'd cinch out on this game and not give you everything you need for it.

Now i could see two boxes, one for the actual unit and another for expanding the unit, but we already know thats not a thing.

I wish they'd put that in the descrip then.  Ah, the images are in that one blog article about command and control. I'll assume that's accurate then and reply accordingly. :D

Oh, and ID tokens (although these are kinda awful compared to the xwing ones, I expect to have them out the wazoo. :) 

2 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

given how FFG seems to overstock you with cardboard stuff in other games (good god so many shield tokens....) i highly doubt they'd cinch out on this game and not give you everything you need for it.

Now i could see two boxes, one for the actual unit and another for expanding the unit, but we already know thats not a thing.

Command tokens, objective tokens... Yea it goes crazy. 

I don't think Armada says you get bases with ships but you do... So many bases. 

Just now, keltheos said:

The expansion pack picture under the products descriptions is just the box, not the contents pic from the one blog article, that's where I got thrown.

They will have dials. FFG does not want to just ruin an expansion 

4 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

Command tokens, objective tokens... Yea it goes crazy. 

I don't think Armada says you get bases with ships but you do... So many bases. 

Yeah thats the other thing

FFG gives you enough to field that ship on its own without outside help. Optimally isnt the question, its can you put it on the table at all.

I have a large gallon ziplock back full of small bases for xwing.....i dont want to throw those away because theyre actually plastic not just cardboard just in case i lose any or break'm. Armada i use SirWillie's gearboxes so definitely glad they come with everything lol.

Yeah, this. The bases are implied since they're needed for the individual model. The Cav unit isn't a 'unit' it's billed as an upgrade. Could read into it that it's upgrading an existing unit that would already have a dial.

How about this? For advertising sake, just list the contents:
Contents
4 cav models
2 trays
1 command tool
5 upgrade cards
1 sheet of cardboard tokens

Mystery solved. :)

But, yeah, the blog post shows contents so that's fine.

25 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

You know, it's funny... RMG is the first game where I feel like they kind of cheaped out on some of the token numbers.

I regularly find myself running out of inspiration and blight tokens from one core box :|

Pretty sure the core is designed around each player buying one.

2 minutes ago, Tvayumat said:

You know, it's funny... RMG is the first game where I feel like they kind of cheaped out on some of the token numbers.

I regularly find myself running out of inspiration and blight tokens from one core box :|

Pretty sure the core is designed around each player buying one.

Oh yeah, it is.

Look at the core for Xwing for that matter. Even in just that box you dont have enough dice and theres only 1 set of templates and 1 damage deck.
Armada as well. Both felt really restricting if you tried to play 2 player with 1 box, but the moment you both have the core and/or you get the expansions alot of these go out the window.

Usually im opposed to these 2faction boxes because of this. FFG's prices are low enough where i can buy into both armies anyway so i dont really care. 40k's old "Assault on Black Reach" for instance was annoying since you paid for both sides but only wanted one. Dunno how many Ork halves i bought for dirt rofl....

4 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

Oh yeah, it is.

Look at the core for Xwing for that matter. Even in just that box you dont have enough dice and theres only 1 set of templates and 1 damage deck.
Armada as well. Both felt really restricting if you tried to play 2 player with 1 box, but the moment you both have the core and/or you get the expansions alot of these go out the window.

Usually im opposed to these 2faction boxes because of this. FFG's prices are low enough where i can buy into both armies anyway so i dont really care. 40k's old "Assault on Black Reach" for instance was annoying since you paid for both sides but only wanted one. Dunno how many Ork halves i bought for dirt rofl....

you got any of them there deffkoptas left? :D

4 minutes ago, keltheos said:

you got any of them there deffkoptas left? :D

i got 12 of them lying around somewhere....rofl....i got 6 actually painted and i intended to paint the others but then my interest in orks tanked.

still debating on if i wanna keep my 40k. So much time and money, and i know i'll get like 1/4 of what i put in....

34 minutes ago, keltheos said:

Wait for 8e this summer, see what they did. You may like it or you may find fresh interested buyers.

Is this summer when GW will be getting 40k players excited for a new edition hoping it will be like 4e or 5e again only to destroy their dreams again?

No, it's the summer where they're dumping a good chunk of stuff and starting freshish. Some old ideas coming back, some (hopefully just the best) of AoS finding its way in, and so on. I'm hoping for something that's part good 40k rules and good aos rules. We'll see. 

Definitely changing: back to variable movements (so that's aos/old school), no more AP value, variable armor saves (again, aos/old school depending on how handled), new morale mechanic (sounds like aos battleshock), revamped stats obviously, and so on. 3 ways to play: open/narrative/matched (straight out of Aos).

I'm excited for it IF they don't make the same errors they did with aos at release. Hopefully 2.5 years has taught them a lesson or two. I always felt like the good core in aos would have fit 40k better from day one. Heck, the newer armies already look like warscroll entries in their books, and both have battalions/detachments in the game...

Some expansions (the Waiqar Infantry Command and Daqan Infantry Command) will -probably- not come with dials because you will be able to use them with many different units (Waiqar command works with both Reanimates and Reanimate Archers since they are both infantry). I could definitely see including an extra spearmen/reanimate command dial in there, but I doubt it. They lack they dial because they can't be fielded as a single-tray unit, and don't need a dial of their own. In all units that can be fielded seperately, they show the command dials. I think this is where the confusion has come from. FFG is labeling the two types seperately: Unit Expansions vs Unit Upgrade Expansions. Compare the pictures below:

rwm10_spread.png

rwm08_spread.png

TLDR: Unit Expansions come with Unit Cards and Command Dials. Unit Upgrade Expansions do not.

Edited by drkpnthr