Sign in to follow this  
MasterKazur

Executor-class Star Dreadnought?

This seems a bit like one of those "forces of nature" kind of like Vader. With the number of weapons emplacements, fighters, etc, a PC ship can't really hope to stand up to it. I feel like if you made stats, they'd be irrelevantly high.

32 minutes ago, biggreen10 said:

This seems a bit like one of those "forces of nature" kind of like Vader. With the number of weapons emplacements, fighters, etc, a PC ship can't really hope to stand up to it. I feel like if you made stats, they'd be irrelevantly high.

I can definately see where you're coming from. I guess it's presence in a battle could be more a narrative one, no doubt affecting any Mass Combat check immensely, and any direct attack against it would be futile.

Something like this maybe:

Executor-class Star Dreadnought

Silhouette 9

Speed 2

Handling -4

Deflectors: 4, 4, 4, 3

Armor: 12

HT Threshold: 250

SS Threshold: 150

Hyperdrive: Class 2, Backup Class 10

Sensor Range: Extreme

Ship's Complement: 280,000 officers, pilots and enlisted crew.

Starfighter Complement: 144 racked fighters, 1000+ in storage.

Ground Forces: 30 AT-ATs, 40 AT-STs stored in Y-85 Titan dropships

Encumbrance Capacity: 250,000

Passenger Capacity: 40,000

Consumables: 6 years

Price/Rarity: 25,000,000,000 credits, (R)10

Customization Hard Points: 2

Weapons:

250 Port and Starboard heavy turbolaser batteries.  (Fire Arc: Port, Rear and Forward or Starboard Rear and Forward; Damage 11; Critical 3; Range [Long]; Breach 4; linked 3; Slow-Firing 2)

250 Concussion Missile Launchers. (Fire Arc: All; Damage 6, Crit 3; Range [Short]; Blast 4; Breach 4; Guided 3, Slow-Firing 1) 

250 Ion Cannons (Battleship). (Fire Arc: Port, Forward, Starboard; Damage 9; Crit 4; Range [Medium]; Breach 3; Ion; Slow-Firing 2)

250 Dorsal and Ventral Quad Laser Cannons (Fire Arc: All; Damge 5, Crit 3; Range [Close]; Acurate 1; Linked 3)

Additional Rules:

Massive 3: When making an attack against this starship, the Critical rating of any weapon used counts as 3 higher.

Internal magazines: Missile launchers on this vessel aren't subject to the limited ammo rule, since they are reloaded from vast internal magazines. 

40 minutes ago, Oden Gebhac said:

It's a set piece that uses Barrage Fire to make its attack and not something a single vessel could hope to hurt.

Yea, I generally agree with that. Stating out things like the Executor or the Death Star is a fun thought experiment, but if they ever show up in play you're better off using them as a narrative set piece than an absurd stat block. 

19 hours ago, Aetrion said:

Something like this maybe:

Executor-class Star Dreadnought

Silhouette 9

Speed 2

Handling -4

Deflectors: 4, 4, 4, 3

Armor: 12

HT Threshold: 250

SS Threshold: 150

Hyperdrive: Class 2, Backup Class 10

Sensor Range: Extreme

Ship's Complement: 280,000 officers, pilots and enlisted crew.

Starfighter Complement: 144 racked fighters, 1000+ in storage.

Ground Forces: 30 AT-ATs, 40 AT-STs stored in Y-85 Titan dropships

Encumbrance Capacity: 250,000

Passenger Capacity: 40,000

Consumables: 6 years

Price/Rarity: 25,000,000,000 credits, (R)10

Customization Hard Points: 2

Weapons:

250 Port and Starboard heavy turbolaser batteries.  (Fire Arc: Port, Rear and Forward or Starboard Rear and Forward; Damage 11; Critical 3; Range [Long]; Breach 4; linked 3; Slow-Firing 2)

250 Concussion Missile Launchers. (Fire Arc: All; Damage 6, Crit 3; Range [Short]; Blast 4; Breach 4; Guided 3, Slow-Firing 1) 

250 Ion Cannons (Battleship). (Fire Arc: Port, Forward, Starboard; Damage 9; Crit 4; Range [Medium]; Breach 3; Ion; Slow-Firing 2)

250 Dorsal and Ventral Quad Laser Cannons (Fire Arc: All; Damge 5, Crit 3; Range [Close]; Acurate 1; Linked 3)

Additional Rules:

Massive 3: When making an attack against this starship, the Critical rating of any weapon used counts as 3 higher.

Internal magazines: Missile launchers on this vessel aren't subject to the limited ammo rule, since they are reloaded from vast internal magazines. 

These are absolutely perfect! Great job, Aetrion! :)

This build will be making an appearance in my campaign shortly. I'll let you know how it goes. 

I would use the Executor as a body shield since other ships would have to hit it in order to try to hit your own starfighter/smuggler transport. When you get in close and skimming her hull, her guns cannot hit very well at such close range. That would be the only reason I would actually try to close with it. And then once I clear the hull I slam the hell out of the hyperdrive activator.

On ‎13‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 0:04 AM, Oden Gebhac said:

I could see a double Triumph on a Piloting doing that.

... after the rest of the squadron (and fleet) had dropped the shields. Then a couple of Despairs rolled on the Executor's own Piloting roll (or whatever you use to steer a capital ship).

Alternatively, there's this option:

On 4/12/2017 at 4:04 PM, Oden Gebhac said:

I could see a double Triumph on a Piloting doing that.

Nah.  It was caused by a double Despair on a successful attack roll by the Executor.  Yes, you hit.  Yes, you destroy him.  Unfortunately you rolled 2 despairs ... no, running away won't help.  And neither will kneeling behind a console.

17 hours ago, Edgookin said:

Nah.  It was caused by a double Despair on a successful attack roll by the Executor.  Yes, you hit.  Yes, you destroy him.  Unfortunately you rolled 2 despairs ... no, running away won't help.  And neither will kneeling behind a console.

I say it was a double or triple triumph of admiral akbar's roll to direct all of their firepower at the super star destroyer.  The GM knew they didn't actually have the firepower to take it out, thus the story reason of the Awing taking out the bridge and the ship crashing into the death star.

I think it was just fluff the GM was laying on, because when you think about it, the destruction of the Executor did absolutely nothing for the story. The rebel fleet was still trapped, the death star was still fully operational, no essential characters were on board. It had no immediate impact at all. Perhaps it had some long term strategic impact, but we all know that Star Wars isn't about logistics and fleet strengths at the end of the day. 

I wouldn't bother with stats for the ship directly, and would use it as environment hazard more than anything. 

If I'm playing out a fleet battle, and the PC's are involved, I would do something that I personally do for big fleet battles, which is to just do a roll for the "big scale action"

Come up with some arbitrary dice pool to represent the PC's forces, and then have the difficulty be reflective of the enemy fleet.    If the players specify they are trying to do things to help turn the tide of battle in their favor, have them do their thing (whatever that is).  If they succeed, adjust the dice pool.  Perhaps add a boost die or two for the allies, or remove a setback, downgrade the check, etc.    If the allies roll succeeds, then they are able to destroy some of the cap ships of the opposing fleet, and thus, making the next check that much easier, as dice have been removed.

That way, you can keep things narrative, while still allowing the big cap ships to be a serious threat.   

So you could perhaps do something like:
Non-combat cap ships = 1 Ability Die/Difficulty Die, depending on if ally/enemy
Combat Cap ships = 1 Skill Die/Challenge Die, depending on if it's ally/enemy
Fighter squadrons = 1 Boost Die/Setback Die, depending on if ally/enemy

Example:
Ally fleet has 3 combat cap ships, with supporting fighter squadrans.  That could translate to 3 skill dice (for the cap ships), and a few boost die (1 for each official squadron)

Enemy fleet has 5 cap ships (Difficulty 5 roll, + setback dice for each TIE squadron within reason).     This would reflect the fight being REALLY against the outnumbered rebel fleet.    

Decide on some ratio of successes to destroyed cap ships, and go from there.  Perhaps a Triumph or two would be an instakill, as the fleet is able to concentrate their battery fire to just cut through a target ship.   And with each destroyed ship/squadron, you remove their respective die from the pool.

48 minutes ago, Alexhurlbut said:

It still was a star dreadnought, at very least the only one presented in the Imperial fleet at Endor. For the rebels, it was a great moral victory.

Sure, moral victory is great.  But in the actual films, it's presence didn't do anything in the fight.  We don't see it taking out cap ships with it's artillery.  We don't see it at all really, except in passing (literally, the ships passing by it as they fight something smaller and more immediately threatening).  Then, we see it for the length of time it took for a snub fighter to kill it.

That thing is a crazy huge silhouette, and frankly it's just too big to make practical use of in a fight.  It's more a narrative prop, in my opinion.   

KungFuFerret, you realized you just described Mass Combat rules, right? There's a system created to handle huge battles swirling around PCs where they are only in a very small (though hopefully influential) part of it.

21 minutes ago, biggreen10 said:

KungFuFerret, you realized you just described Mass Combat rules, right? There's a system created to handle huge battles swirling around PCs where they are only in a very small (though hopefully influential) part of it.

Actually no, I've never read those rules, it just felt like the most logical way to provide mechanics to something that is, in essence, background events.

I mean I know the rules exist, but I've never read them, and felt my system was more to my personal liking.

The Mass Combat Rules use Ability and Difficulty Dice to represent the array of forces while the Proficiency and Challenge Dice represent each side's leadership.  The Ferret's ruleset is a bit more expansive but it's fairly close to the nuts and bolts of the thing.

5 hours ago, KungFuFerret said:

I mean I know the rules exist, but I've never read them, and felt my system was more to my personal liking.

You know it existed...but never read it and know your system is more to your personal liking despite having never read the official ruleset for this kind of event?

Just now, Alexhurlbut said:

You know it existed...but never read it and know your system is more to your personal liking despite having never read the official ruleset for this kind of event?

Yes, in that my personal liking is for it to be quick and simple.  Apparently the RAW is pretty similar but slightly different.  

Yeah, I'm just trying to wrap my head around this. You knew the mass combat rules existed but never bothered to look them up even for the possibility of flinching something from them for your house ruleset?

Just now, Alexhurlbut said:

Yeah, I'm just trying to wrap my head around this. You knew the mass combat rules existed but never bothered to look them up even for the possibility of flinching something from them for your house ruleset?

I didn't feel I needed to take anything from them?  I don't know why this is such a sticking point for you.  Long before the rules came out, when the subject came up at my table, as an idle conversation topic, that was the system I presented to myself.  I felt it was quick, simple, to the point, let me direct the big narrative easily, while keeping it fluid based on dice results.   Then, years later they publish the rules.   By that point I didn't really care about the subject enough to research it further.  Partly because I wasn't running a campaign where it would at all matter, and because I just didn't care.  The system I had in my head felt perfectly acceptable as a viable system.  And, considering how close it is to the RAW, I was apparently accurate to think so.  

I really don't care what the RAW is 99% of the time when it comes to games.  The rules are a device to tell the story, I care about the story.  If the rules I use, RAW or house, work, and everyone at the table is fine with them, so what?   I don't bother with the details, and prefer to stick to the narrative.   Too many people, in my opinion, get hung up in the mechanics of the game system.  Any game system, not just this one.   And forget to ROLEPLAY.   I've seen it time and time again at my tables over the years.  A cool, fun, exciting scene, comes to a screeching halt, because the Pedantic Divison of the table want to cross reference, verify, independently confirm, and authorize some method by which to do the fun scene.   Only by this point, it's been 20 **** minutes, the fun tension has been sucked from the table, and nobody even remembers why they were about to have this almost-cool bar fight.   I hate the rules most of the time.  The more complex and detailed they are, the worse.   

So when this game came out, and basically kept everything to very simple mechanics, and basically said "Hey, GM, do what you want with this stuff"  that's exactly what I did.  And that includes the mass combat rules.