Sign in to follow this  
bumyong

Any reason not to glue large figures onto tray?

I am eagerly awaiting my pre-orders to release tomorrow and had a quick question.  I understand that you remove figures from the tray as you kill off units but is this really necessary for the large creatures and hero bases that take up an entire tray (e.g. Rune Golem & Carrion Lancer) to be able to separate from the tray?  For example, let's say you have two Rune Golems in formation.  One of your Rune Golems gets killed.  Why would it be necessary to just lift off the Golem from the tray rather than just remove the entire tray?

The reason I am asking is because I would rather flock and base large creatures directly onto their trays rather than keeping them loose.  

I can't think of any reason not to as it doesn't really help with storage to keep them separate. In fact, Sorastro glued the Carrion Lancer to the base and flocked it all together which looks far better without the split lines.

Just now, MegaSilver said:

I'm not gluing them, on the off-chance in the future there's some way to have trays out still yet have no figures on them. Also it could be easier to remove them from formation by taking them off-base first.

It is actually easier to remove them attached! it gives you a good central lifting point so you can just hold down the other trays in formation and lift them out.  At least that has been my experience.

Yes, but large figures are going to be one per tray, so when one gets killed you remove the tray anyways.

The major reason is storage during transport if using a battlebox or other foam container. If they are glued to the base, there will be space around the mini that will 'wobble' and potentially break the mini when it tips over and hits the foam. I think you would need to plan on storing these on their sides during transport if glued to the based, which means a more exact and tricky foam pluck, but you can do it.

Edited by drkpnthr

My other reason to not attach miniatures to the trays is that I fully intend to use all of the minis from Runewars in playing D&D and other games. I've long been planning to develop a better library of undead minis, and now I will have a full force worth to select from!

There's currently no in-game reason not to, for the large figures.  Well, aside from freeing the tray up for some other use, but I'm assuming that every expansion will come with trays matching the figures included, so it shouldn't be an issue.  Unless you lose some....

I might have said this elsewhere but looking ahead and for future use, it makes alot of sense to not glue the big guys into the tray.  Odds are that in the next 10 years Runewars will die as most games do.  After that, I'd still want to use these nice minis in other games. a monster on a 2 inch square (roughly 50mm, a fairly common size base) is far more amenable to new ruleset than a monster on a 62mm square with puzzle piece edges.

Even while Runewars still exists, you may want these guys to appear in a game of Descent or Song of Blades or...

Edited by eilif