Sign in to follow this  
Shauni55

Painting the sides of bases is a waste

Kind of annoyed on this one, but basically even after sealing I had the paint from the sides of the round bases get scraped off after putting it into it's tray (this was one of the character models into it's scenic base). Anyone have a different experience?

All of my figures from from my first core are snug fits, to the point where I have to push them down to get them flush with the tray.  Even fully painted and based, the demo figures slid right in and out of the bases, so maybe mine will wear a little with use?

10 minutes ago, kingbobb said:

All of my figures from from my first core are snug fits, to the point where I have to push them down to get them flush with the tray.  Even fully painted and based, the demo figures slid right in and out of the bases, so maybe mine will wear a little with use?

I put the Waiqar hero into his base snuggly and when I removed him, all the paint on the sides was stripped off in one go.

6 minutes ago, JasonGlass said:

Just give the side of the round bases a little coat of gloss varnish. That will do wonders.

I did just that, used Vallejo Gloss Varnish still scraped.

I would advise against additional varnish.  Varnish can help protect the paint but anything that makes the bases even a tiny bit wider will make removal and replacement harder and eventually lead to more scraping.

I widened the hole on the bottom of my figures bases (which currently have one layer of basecoat spray on them) and they fit a bit better.  Some are still a bit tight, but PVC is not a perfect material an it seems that the figures aren't perfectly centered around it.   It's such a minute bit off that it'd probably be hard to even measure it but they definitely fit easier with the hole widened (or the peg on the tray clipped off)

If you absolutely must paint the edges of your trays, you can designate trays as corners, edges, and middles.

Middle trays have no paint on the edge, and they go in the middle of a formation. Edges have one edge painted, corners have two, etc. etc.