Forresto

Raider is now officially canon!

33 minutes ago, Forgottenlore said:

Do we know for certain that the trailer is legit and not some fake? I don't want to get my hopes up and have them dashed. 

Multiple sources are now confirming it's the real thing leaked early (probably ahead of Star Wars Celebration later this week).  Even if that wasn't the case, this has EA trailer hallmarks all over it and it would be a massive amount of work to put this together as a joke.  Also, anyone making this as a fan trailer would have disclaimers all over the **** thing specifiying that it was a fan work and fair use.  Especially since it uses officially licensed music, which Disney loves to monetize or C&D.

52 minutes ago, thecactusman17 said:

Multiple sources are now confirming it's the real thing leaked early (probably ahead of Star Wars Celebration later this week).  Even if that wasn't the case, this has EA trailer hallmarks all over it and it would be a massive amount of work to put this together as a joke.  Also, anyone making this as a fan trailer would have disclaimers all over the **** thing specifiying that it was a fan work and fair use.  Especially since it uses officially licensed music, which Disney loves to monetize or C&D.

Excellent!!!

This does so much to reassure me about the competency of the story group. 

41 minutes ago, Norell said:

I just came here to announce it. I doN't appreciate the idea of playing in the Disney era, but the Raider made me super-hyped for this game :D

You've never been to a Disney theme park, have you?  Disney has been all but in charge of the series for a while now for a lot of people, the buyout just made that official.

8 hours ago, thecactusman17 said:

There's also the pure quality of the trailer - they're already showcasing unbelievable graphics, and it'd be difficult for all but a big design studio to produce something of quite that high a standard. It's also very like other trailers by EA/Dice: it has the hallmarks of Battlefront, and Battlefield I.

Unbelievably excited.

If they are doing a single player campaign, the raider is probably the perfect ship to be the characters "home". Small enough to get to get know the crew and one of the only ships in the Imperial arsenal that can turn their hit and run tactics against them as the rebellion turns into new republic and actually start to hold territory rather than just being an insurgency.

3 hours ago, Forresto said:

The Raider has honestly grown on me a lot these past few months and i'm very glad to see it find more prominence in the new canon. Battlefront II is as mainstream Star Wars canon as you can get short of a movie. 

Considering the Raiders are mentioned in the new novel Thrawn that's Official Canon.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wookieepedia:Canon_policy#What_is_considered_official_canon.3F )

Edited by Alexhurlbut

13 hours ago, shmitty said:

Went to a Thrawn signing this evening with Timothy Zahn.  Got a little background in to how some of the ships made it into the book.  

Basically, say thanks to the story group.  

13 hours ago, Wraithdt said:

Pls, do tell.

Read more here: http://xwingtactics.blogspot.com/2017/04/zahn-talking-thrawn.html

And when it was announced, the X-wing crowd had fits. This makes me so happy to see it actually inducted into Canon from sources other than FFG. Glad to see it made it into actual CG animated glory and literature as well.

Let's all give a special shout out to Fantasy Flight Games in-house designers who first gave the Raider life, and their incredible contributions to the gaming franchise side of the Star Wars we all love across (over?) six product lines. To you guys over at FFG, we may throw fits from time to time over the crap you pull, but we do appreciate your dedication to your craft as designers that give the child in all of us the opportunity to command Star Destroyers, pilot X-wings, and march Boba Fett in to find his bounty. We, your fellow Star Wars fans and game enthusiasts, congratulate your accomplishment of adding to the saga as you did, in our way as gamers do: by playing in the big sandbox. For us, keep living the dream. Salute!

"Save the Rebellion! Save the dream!" - Saw Gerrera

Seeing the Raider reminds me, well... of the unfortunate Assault Gunboat, TIE Avenger, Neb-B2... all the little incidental, unimportant ships that appeared in the flight simulator and nowhere else. I'd imagine there are other things strewn about Star Wars legends lore that just never caught on in the Star Wars lore, even though they had their fans.

I had thought the Raider would just exist in this nebulous canon area of only being in an FFG-verse mix of legends and canon (where the Gladiator Star Destroyer is now for instance). Neither one nor the other.

Seeing the Raider gives me hope that other things we move and touch with these FFG games may someday grace some screen somewhere. Bravo FFG... it's come a long way from "A Star Destroyer with TIE Interceptor wings".