Sign in to follow this  
Bullroarer Took

Spirit Aragorn Supposition

Since we first received Lore Aragorn back in Dwarrowdelf I have wondered what they could do to make a Spirit Aragorn since the Lore version instantly became the most powerful threat reducing card in the game and threat reduction was a Spirit sphere ability.  I wondered if they should make Spirit Aragorn have a Lore ability or not compound the error and keep the Spirit version true to Spirit.

Another way to put it is, we already HAVE Spirit Aragorn except that he's wearing green.  What should the blue Aragorn do?

Spirit Aragorn should be something like: 

Planning Action: Discard 10 cards from the top of your deck. Shuffle up to 10 cards from your discard pile into your deck. (Limit once per game.)

1 hour ago, Bullroarer Took said:

Since we first received Lore Aragorn back in Dwarrowdelf I have wondered what they could do to make a Spirit Aragorn since the Lore version instantly became the most powerful threat reducing card in the game and threat reduction was a Spirit sphere ability.  I wondered if they should make Spirit Aragorn have a Lore ability or not compound the error and keep the Spirit version true to Spirit.

Another way to put it is, we already HAVE Spirit Aragorn except that he's wearing green.  What should the blue Aragorn do?

I don't think it was an error, necessarily. I think the number of secrecy lore cards demanded a way to reduce a player's threat, without having to rely on spirit. The secrecy mechanic never really caught on, but Aragorn remains played because it's such a strong ability in a variety of decks (doomed, Boromir, high starting threat valour). 

7 minutes ago, webslinger9 said:

I don't think it was an error, necessarily. I think the number of secrecy lore cards demanded a way to reduce a player's threat, without having to rely on spirit. The secrecy mechanic never really caught on, but Aragorn remains played because it's such a strong ability in a variety of decks (doomed, Boromir, high starting threat valour). 

Secrecy caught on with Hobbits, and with Rossiel/Glorfindel. It's niche, but powerful.

I could imagine a version that looks at Aragorn as the leader of the free people, who spend his life protecting and uniting them until he became the king of one of middle-earth's greatest nations and re-established a good relationship to all other nations over night.

So he is obviously a 12 threat, 2 willpower, 3 attack, 2 defense, 5 hit-points spirit hero with sentinel. Traits: Dunedain, Noble, Ranger (he isn't Gondor's king yet, but on his way :D). For his ability I'd try to show that Aragorn wants to gather and support his allies:

"Whenever you play an ally that doesn't have a trait in common with another character already in play either add Aragorn's willpower, attack or defense to this ally until the end of the round"

This also fits nicely with the free people card spoiled a while ago, if I remember it's text correctly, in that you want to have as many different people to unite against Sauron as possible.

Whenever I get an idea for a card I quickly write it down in a document (which is now 34 pages long). I have an entry for Spirit Aragorn, and at the time I was trying to come up something that would play really well with Halbarad and make him more viable, and yet not be dependent on Halbarad either.

Aragorn. Spirit. 12 - 2/3/2/5. Dunedain. Ranger. Scout.

Response: After you optionally engage an enemy, reduce your threat by 1.

If you have engaged more than 1 enemy this round, Aragorn gains: “Action: Raise your threat by 1 to choose an enemy engaged with you. That enemy cannot make attacks against you this round. Limit once per round.”

Reminder, here's Halbarad:

Halbarad.jpg

10 minutes ago, Seastan said:

Whenever I get an idea for a card I quickly write it down in a document (which is now 34 pages long). I have an entry for Spirit Aragorn, and at the time I was trying to come up something that would play really well with Halbarad and make him more viable, and yet not be dependent on Halbarad either.

Reminder, here's Halbarad:

Halbarad.jpg

What on Earth do you mean, Halbarad isn't viable? My all-time favorite deck is Halbard/Marty/Scorpagorn.