Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 6:37 AM, Bullroarer Took said:

"Let the Ring-bearer decide."

 

No, really.  "If a boon or burden is included as part of the setup instructions for both scenarios, the player who controls the Ring-bearer decides which scenario receives that boon or burden."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How are people beating Mount Doom?

So far i'm stuck on this quest. First time I was trying the multi-player mode with three rohan decks at the black gate, and a rossial/glorfindel/thaurundir deck at mount doom. I try and do my first playthough of a quest blind, so had no idea about the anti-ally mechanics until i started, so brought totally the wrong deck to the quest (The rohan decks on the other hand were slaughtering the black gate).

Tried again with a hobbit deck, trying to keep the character count down and use lots of attachments to beef up the heroes - similar to the early hobbit builds around the time of the black riders. Several games, managed to get as far as halfway progress on 3B before losing.

Tried a radically different approach this afternoon, with Treebeard, Cirdan and Galadriel, and a minimum of powerful allies such as OHAUH Gandalf, with healing, readying and stats boosting.
After a couple of games, this one made it as far as the final quest stage, but was unable to ready anyone for the final fortitude tests. (I guess that means Gandalf, Galadriel, Cirdan and Treebeard all got corrupted by the ring...!)

What strategies are people employing against this quest? Which frodo are people using? I started with the new one in the box, but switched to the one from Land of Shadow to get the willpower boost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, CaffeineAddict said:

How are people beating Mount Doom?

So far i'm stuck on this quest. First time I was trying the multi-player mode with three rohan decks at the black gate, and a rossial/glorfindel/thaurundir deck at mount doom. I try and do my first playthough of a quest blind, so had no idea about the anti-ally mechanics until i started, so brought totally the wrong deck to the quest (The rohan decks on the other hand were slaughtering the black gate).

Tried again with a hobbit deck, trying to keep the character count down and use lots of attachments to beef up the heroes - similar to the early hobbit builds around the time of the black riders. Several games, managed to get as far as halfway progress on 3B before losing.

Tried a radically different approach this afternoon, with Treebeard, Cirdan and Galadriel, and a minimum of powerful allies such as OHAUH Gandalf, with healing, readying and stats boosting.
After a couple of games, this one made it as far as the final quest stage, but was unable to ready anyone for the final fortitude tests. (I guess that means Gandalf, Galadriel, Cirdan and Treebeard all got corrupted by the ring...!)

What strategies are people employing against this quest? Which frodo are people using? I started with the new one in the box, but switched to the one from Land of Shadow to get the willpower boost.

I'm not sure this would help with strategy, but I'll tell you what I did.  My first playthough of the campaign was with a Sam/Fatty/Bilbo deck.  For Mount Doom, all my Lord cards were fast hitches or card draw.  I used the newest Frodo to help pay for the extra cards.  By I got to stage 3 I would have a number of songs on Sam including Fireside Song.  That plus Rosie would give me a hero with double digit spirit I could ready multiple times.  My problem was not getting enough turns from the Black Gate.  After some failed tries I got the win only when I got a sneak attack and Gandalf to complete the first stage on turn one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gave Mount Doom another shot this evening playing two-handed with the pair of decks i'd previously tried solo - Hobbits and attachments and Treebeard/Galadriel/Cirdan....and finally succeeded in the quest, completing the final fortitude test with just Frodo and Sam. After several failed attempts, finally succeeding in destroying the ring felt pretty epic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I missing something in the epic multiplayer mode card, or have I misunderstood something in the epic mode rules - It says:

 "Forced: At the end of the round, the first player chooses a scenario (The Black Gate Opens or Mount Doom). Each player at the chosen scenario draws 1 card. Each player at the other scenario reduces his threat by 3. Then, the player who controls the Gwaihir objective-ally may give control of it to another player (at either scenario). "

I was under the impression that there was a first player in each team, not a single "first player" across both? Or does this effect trigger for each team seperatley?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like this three quests. The first is pretty classic, nothing really amazing but still okay. Then we come to the black gate and we face a whole new challenge. And I find it exciting to deal with more and more encounter card until you fall, no matter if I play with mount doom at the same time or if I will die at the end no matter what.

And finally mount doom. In solo I find it really hard since I usually build my decks around allies. They can be small, big, recursive, tribal, come with swarm or slowly. And so far I remember I'm not able to find another scenario who punish that well all of them (escape from dol guldur punish well enough swarm ^^). You must focus on equip some heroes rather to play allies (you can have some but not too much) to get over this mountain. But even like this it is hard to deal with quest, fight and still do fortitude test so we are usually screw up anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi!

Has anyone beat Mount Doom in pure solo? If yes, what deck did  you use?

Those quests are insanely tough, it's like they counter any strategy you could have thought of! :(

My Outlands swarm and my Gondor swarm could not do it... Now trying with a Caladra deck, and getting destroyed....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was trying Caldara and TE too to see if the best swarm can defeat it by being really fast. It may be possible but I also fail at doing it.

Now I will play it with my combo deck and my Vilya deck. It seem to be possible this way :).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that the best strategy is to have the less allies possible, because :

-your threat raises based on how many characters you control;

-some treachery and locations punish you for having allies.

I wonder if a secrecy deck with Gandalf ally and a few powerful allies (not Ents to be thematic) could be good. With ways to give heroes a ton of ready effects and questing power (like songs), because the quest doesn't punish you for having attachments. Like a Sam deck with Spirit Beregond or something. :mellow:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got a very narrow loss in solo (2 willpower short on the final test) by attempting to rush it with Outlands: http://ringsdb.com/decklist/view/6122/100-willpower-1.0

I found Black Riders Frodo to be a big help by cancelling the treacheries, since it cancels the whole card and you avoid the surge. Nevermind, played this wrong.

Edited by Seastan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Seastan said:

I got a very narrow loss in solo (2 willpower short on the final test) by attempting to rush it with Outlands: http://ringsdb.com/decklist/view/6122/100-willpower-1.0

I found Black Riders Frodo to be a big help by cancelling the treacheries, since it cancels the whole card and you avoid the surge. Nevermind, played this wrong.

I really suck with saga but what part is wrong? It is because you can't select your frodo (I assume that you should play the one of the box since the beginning but was never sure of that) or because cards can't be canceled?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rouxxor said:

I really suck with saga but what part is wrong? It is because you can't select your frodo (I assume that you should play the one of the box since the beginning but was never sure of that) or because cards can't be canceled?

You can select your Frodo. But the quest card says that the first treachery card revealed each round gains surge and is immune to player card effects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2017 at 4:46 PM, JusticeLizard said:

Out of curiosity, how many resources are people getting on the Black Gate?  I got 6, solo while also getting rid of the burden.

Only do two test. 10 with Caldara, 57 with combo. Yes I was pretty lucky :).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, after so many attempts (around 30), I've given up for now : Mount Doom in pure solo is madness.

I'll probably restart the whole saga soon and try 2 handed. :(

If someone beats this in solo, please share your deck! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Lecitadin said:

If someone beats this in solo, please share your deck! :D

http://ringsdb.com/decklist/view/6904/mount-doom-hobbits-1.0

 

In my campaign play through I actually use Fatty Bolger and Bilbo Baggins, but this is probably a better line up.  Also, I had a game end with an uncancelable Heavy and Tired.  If that had happened again, I would have swapped in some Power of Orthancs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JusticeLizard said:

http://ringsdb.com/decklist/view/6904/mount-doom-hobbits-1.0

 

In my campaign play through I actually use Fatty Bolger and Bilbo Baggins, but this is probably a better line up.  Also, I had a game end with an uncancelable Heavy and Tired.  If that had happened again, I would have swapped in some Power of Orthancs.

Interesting to see Fireside Song in there, Id overlooked that when I was adding willpower boosting to a similar deck for this quest. I found Fellowship of the Ring to be quite good in this quest, as you have so few characters you dont often have one destroyed, and it provides a nice boost to everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, JusticeLizard said:

http://ringsdb.com/decklist/view/6904/mount-doom-hobbits-1.0

 

In my campaign play through I actually use Fatty Bolger and Bilbo Baggins, but this is probably a better line up.  Also, I had a game end with an uncancelable Heavy and Tired.  If that had happened again, I would have swapped in some Power of Orthancs.

I'll sure give it  Try!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2017 at 11:45 AM, Slothgodfather said:

I can't find a copy of the scenario setup cards - but do you keep the Wraith on Wings burdens going into the Black Gate and Mount Doom quests?   If so - if you split the teams into 2 games, how do you handle them?

I believe so. We attempted The Tower of Cirith Ungol last night and starting with those Wraiths was brutal. We didn't even come close to completing the quest after a half dozen attempts or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...