How many scenarios are in this quest?   What are they called? Trying to plan a Fellowship quest event and trying to gauge if we can complete the box in a session or not.    I heard the last scenario can be played in EPIC mode - is that combined with the 2nd scenario or is the Black Gate it's own thing?

2 hours ago, Slothgodfather said:

Excellent!  thanks!  On the split team option, is it suggested to send 2 and 2 or should 3 hold the Black Gate while 1 goes with Frodo (assuming 4 players)?

I would put as many players as possible on the Black Gate for sure. Each additional player makes it that much easier to weather the +1 encounter card revealed per turn. 

@Authraw, now that you've had a chance to play through the quests, I'd love it if you gave us some initial impressions. I also have a few specific questions: are there any new boons or burdens? Is Wraith on Wrings included for The Tower of Cirith Ungol? This is a bit spoilery, so I don't necessarily want all the details, but how did you find Mount Doom handled Gollum? Specifically, was he able to help in some way with the final Fortitude check? Did players have the option to kill him/remove him from play for short term advantage, but then lose the benefit he would provide for the final check?

@Slothgodfather, I intend to have 3 players for The Black Gate Opens and 1 for Mount Doom in my thematic campaign, using Epic Multiplayer Mode. Apparently Caleb said he liked 4 and 2, and it makes sense to have more players in an epic battle and fewer for a quest focused on keeping your threat low.

19 hours ago, Slothgodfather said:

4 and 2!?!  Hmm.. I'll have to see who I can talk into joining the group maybe.

We haven't managed to beat The Black Gate / Mount Doom yet--I can't quite stay alive long enough playing solo. I can definitely see that 4 on Black Gate and 2 on Mount Doom would be the sweet spot; The Black Gate will definitely just get more epic the more players you add, and with 2 players at the other table nobody's basically left playing a game all by themselves.

19 hours ago, Estel Edain said:

@Authraw, now that you've had a chance to play through the quests, I'd love it if you gave us some initial impressions. I also have a few specific questions: are there any new boons or burdens? Is Wraith on Wrings included for The Tower of Cirith Ungol? This is a bit spoilery, so I don't necessarily want all the details, but how did you find Mount Doom handled Gollum? Specifically, was he able to help in some way with the final Fortitude check? Did players have the option to kill him/remove him from play for short term advantage, but then lose the benefit he would provide for the final check?

Sure thing!

Cirith Ungol 

Cirith Ungol is a fairly standard quest compared to the other two quests in the box. The middle of the quest has some fun mechanics where it brings out extra Enemies, but if there's a copy of that Enemy in the Staging Area already they discard each other instead. There's also a memorable Treachery that deals 1 damage to each Enemy in the Staging Area but then gives them +1 threat for each damage on them. It's actually a really great quest for

Infighting.

It's not that difficult of a quest, but we thought it was fun.

To answer your specific question: Yes, Wraith on Wings is included in Cirith Ungol.

The Black Gate

This is the one that has no win condition, it's just survive-until-you-die. The way they do that is by revealing an extra +1 card for each round that goes by. So on round 2, the first player reveals 2 cards instead of 1. On round 3, 3 cards, etc. As you can imagine, things get out of hand pretty fast.

This quest starts out with a pretty cool mechanic in which you parley with the Mouth of Sauron, revealing extra cards to play cards for free. In Epic Multiplayer mode there are a few extra mechanics with the Nazgul Enemies all following whichever staging area has the Eye of Sauron and each team selecting either a free card or threat reduction. 

My partner and I are trying to beat this one Epic-multiplayer style, with me on The Black Gate and her on Mount Doom. I'm not sure this is going to work, though, since my current high score is 7 rounds (and I only survived that long once!) and that's not much time for her to clear 4 quest stages (one of which requires 20 progress).

If you play it in non-Epic-multiplayer mode, then however many rounds you survive on this quest is how long you have to complete the last one. This quest does have the only boon in the box, Gwaihir, who's a Ranged Sentinel 3 / 3 / 3 / 5 character that gets shuffled into the encounter deck at the start of the game.

Mount Doom

This quest focuses on Fortitude tests and raises your threat at the end of each round by the number of non-Fellowship characters you control. The difficulty isn't too high by itself--probably falls somewhere in the middle--but if you're playing it Saga-style you're on a really short ticking clock, and it's a pretty long quest as far as these things go.

The way they handled Gollum is interesting; he's just in the encounter deck and there's a single copy of a Treachery that fetches him if he's not in play. The trick is that he enters play when he's discarded as part of a Fortitude test, but when he does so he actually helps you on that Fortitude test. There are a few pivotal Fortitude tests during the game (including near the end) so if he's still in the encounter deck at that point you could theoretically end up with an ending much like the books.

Edited by Authraw
Added spoiler tags

12 hours ago, Authraw said:

(If anyone knows how to do spoiler tags on these forums, let me know and I'll edit them in)

Open the weird bracket ([). Write spoiler. Close the bracket. Write the spilerous text. Do the same writing /spoiler between brackets instead.

44 minutes ago, 987654321 said:

Open the weird bracket ([). Write spoiler. Close the bracket. Write the spilerous text. Do the same writing /spoiler between brackets instead.

Thanks! I tried that first but the preview renders them like quotes (and totally bungled matching up the start/end brackets) so I wasn't sure it would show up properly.

Fixed now!

1 hour ago, Slothgodfather said:

Can the enemies at the Black Gate be trapped?   

The worst enemies (the Nazgul and the 7 attack Gorgoroth Hill Troll) cannot be trapped. The other enemies can be, but 6 of those (out of 15) have Archery. Most of them aren't too bad, either, with only 3-4 attack and about 5 combined def+hp.

So traps might be part of a strategy to help you ignore the little guys and focus on the big scary ones, but it's not going to solve any of the major problems you have to face.  

Thanks!  Will the Black Gate side still need to quest successfully each turn?  We are likely going to split into 2 groups of 2 and I'm just trying to gauge how much quest/combat I need to bring against them.

Edited by Slothgodfather

12 minutes ago, Slothgodfather said:

Thanks!  Will the Black Gate side still need to quest successfully each turn?  

Only to prevent threat gain due to questing unsuccessfully. The quest has an effect that discards the active location when you quest unsuccessfully, so I don't think you're really meant to be able to quest successfully for long. 

25 minutes ago, Slothgodfather said:

Likely will still bring my Caldera deck then, paired with a pure tactics Rohan deck. 

Caldara is actually what I'm trying to use right now. I like her ability to bring out another 4 chumps to survive one more round 

11 minutes ago, dalestephenson said:

I'm guessing Lore Pippin's threat gain wouldn't help him survive much longer by bouncing enemies?

I assume you mean Spirit Pippin? Hmmm... It might if you had some way to deal with stuff in the staging area. Threat is definitely one of the many common ways to lose, but maybe if you mostly ignored combat you could find a way to survive a few more rounds? Might be worth a try. 

2 minutes ago, dalestephenson said:

Out of curiosity, how long would a lone Spirit Pippin that bounced everybody typically survive?

Ha! Well now I have to try it. I think the biggest problem is going to be questing successfully enough to not threat out too fast.