jonboyjon1990

Am I totally mad to aim to collect all factions?

In multiple faction games I don't like to be stuck to just one faction - I always like to create at least two forces/decks/lists/armies/whatever, so that I can support a 2 player game, even if my opponent doesn't collect or play the system. 

I also don't like to 'pin my colors' onto any given faction, because what if they don't fit my playstyle eventually?

So currently I'm aiming to make a decent force of all 4 factions. Is that totally unrealistic? I don't HAVE to have all the options for each faction - will probably aim for 300 points of each. 

I've got 2 cores preordered with my FLGS, so I'm ending up with around 100 minis and around 200 points per side. Buying x1 of every other expansion will give me around 300 points per side. 

I just wonder to what extent do people think we'll need multiples of any given expansion? Will I really ever need more than 3 rune golems for example? More than 3 cavalry units? 

I'm doing the same. Once we are in a normal rotation I will probably buy one expansion per check if nothing new is out I will start doubling up till I made out units.  I do want to run a full unit of runs golems one day just to see the look on my opponents face........

"Ok 2 blue runes so your threat is........ 5....... And a reroll....... Gulp"

Edited by Klaxas

6 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

Not all the options... Hahahahahahaha. 

FFG will make things that you just can't go without. I have already resigned myself to buying at least 1 of everything 

I'm after one of everything too. By saying 'not having all the options' I mean I don't feel the need to have 6 Rune Golems or 9 Oathsworn or 12 Reanimates etc etc

You aren't being thorough enough! You must buy enough minis of each type of unit to field a full 200 point army or nothing but each unit. Only then do you have it all!

I on the other hand, and just buying into one faction and won't get duplicates of many sets. 

I've worked out a couple of lists because that's what us obsessive types do. You obviously understand :-)

It looks like the costs of the lists I've created run between $220 and $300 at retail prices. The less expensive lists would actually require you to proxy cards and would have less variety and flexibility in your collection if you want to change things up. Add in a little bit more flexibility in your collection and I think the $300 price tag per army is much more realistic. You get a shred of savings if you build the two in the core box, and if you collect both factions, you'll get a slight savings on not buying additional boxes just for cards too. So a fully functional Waiqar and a fully functional Daqan army is probably going to run you about $525-$550 at retail prices.

Are you mad for spending that? I don't know. Am I mad for having spent $700+ on each of two Warhammer armies and another $1000+ on Space Marines?

Actually, don't answer that. And please don't tell my wife.

hey, if you have the money and time for all that, more power to you. Personally, I'm going to be focusing on one faction. I will buy a Core and maybe one or two expansions for the faction I don't pick so that if I want to play with someone who hasn't bought in, I will have a force for them, but other than that I will be a single-faction guy. Still not sure if I will go Daqan or Waiqar.

If they ever release the Orcs as a faction, I will probably switch to them and either sell off my current faction or keep it for playing with people who don't have their own.

4 hours ago, jek said:

I am on the fence for this...I'm not sure if I will buy all the things, but I know I will atleast buy all the things of 2 factions...

How are you supposed to run a podcast with just 2 factions :P

I tease I tease. 

I'm going to do it as well. I don't think it will be as insane as it sounds when after the initial cores we are only get a few new units per faction per wave. The questions is how far do I go for army building flexibility, what if someone wants to try a full Rune Golem formation for example?

21 minutes ago, Muz333 said:

I'm going to do it as well. I don't think it will be as insane as it sounds when after the initial cores we are only get a few new units per faction per wave. The questions is how far do I go for army building flexibility, what if someone wants to try a full Rune Golem formation for example?

Those are the fun lists. 

I played 5 Nebulon B's in Armada before. Fun fun times. 

Just now, Lyraeus said:

Those are the fun lists. 

I played 5 Nebulon B's in Armada before. Fun fun times. 

I think I'm aiming for 2 cores and 2 of each pack. I'll buy more for certain units such as the command units and infantry but I don't think I'll aim for full siege unit lists, at least straight off the bat...as I know full well as soon as I complete the formation a new cooler looking siege unit will arrive!

3 minutes ago, Muz333 said:

I think I'm aiming for 2 cores and 2 of each pack. I'll buy more for certain units such as the command units and infantry but I don't think I'll aim for full siege unit lists, at least straight off the bat...as I know full well as soon as I complete the formation a new cooler looking siege unit will arrive!

2 of is my trend with FFG games. Gives me everything I typically need but with the amount of units you get here... We shall see. The core set saves me from buying more archers and cavalry