FrogTrigger

Latari Elves!!!!

Nah that would be to convenient, my guess is the elf box comes with its own set of unique upgrades, hopefully none that are needed by the other factions (FFG promised they wouldn't do that!) However upgrades that come in the core box are fair game to be faction neutral and 'must haves' as their way of getting us non daqar or undead players to buy that box. Again, not saying this is under handed or dirty, it's just how the business works. And you get so much more with it than just the cards, yadda.. yadda.. I get it not trying to re hash that whole argument.

7 minutes ago, Taki said:

Scion means heir.  It has nothing to do with tentacles.

Oh, that's totally fine. I'm not talking about the definition of the word "scion." What I'm saying is that "scion" is not a word I see very often, and both times that I've seen it recently have been on monsters with tentacles. It's just too similar for my tastes.

1 minute ago, FrogTrigger said:

Nah that would be to convenient, my guess is the elf box comes with its own set of unique upgrades, hopefully none that are needed by the other factions (FFG promised they wouldn't do that!) However upgrades that come in the core box are fair game to be faction neutral and 'must haves' as their way of getting us non daqar or undead players to buy that box. Again, not saying this is under handed or dirty, it's just how the business works. And you get so much more with it than just the cards, yadda.. yadda.. I get it not trying to re hash that whole argument.

Idk, I think you'll see alot of the neutrals repeated in the expansions. I mean what is there, shield wall? Terrifying Heraldry? The cool trumpet that makes turns not cost movement? Heck we already see the trumpet in the Elf box so I am thinking you'd be able to get what you need.  

I am usually a smart ass and a skeptic, but I think they really are going to make sure you don't need to buy out of faction stuff...

Oooooooooooh Myyyyy Yeeeeeesssss !!!!!!!! Elves are gorgeous, Ahaha yeah FFG you rule the game... and my wallet too...Oh it's already empty... I found a fly nesting in it.... ***... working to get more money ? No way I hate slavery... bank robbing ? Nope, useless nowadays.... International terrorism ? neither, too risky.... Oh my.... it's so good.... the core set hasn't released yet and the army box is announced, you rule men, you rule!

Oh and Hi to everyone here, I hope you're going right these days :) I wish you all the best by the way. As I always do when I come here ;)

2 minutes ago, Elrad said:

Oooooooooooh Myyyyy Yeeeeeesssss !!!!!!!! Elves are gorgeous, Ahaha yeah FFG you rule the game... and my wallet too...Oh it's already empty... I found a fly nesting in it.... ***... working to get more money ? No way I hate slavery... bank robbing ? Nope, useless nowadays.... International terrorism ? neither, too risky.... Oh my.... it's so good.... the core set hasn't released yet and the army box is announced, you rule men, you rule!

Oh and Hi to everyone here, I hope you're going right these days :) I wish you all the best by the way. As I always do when I come here ;)

I'll tell ya, I need to get a 2nd job at a game store to get some employee discounts to make this habit affordable!  FFG finally pushed me over the edge...

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/4/10/runewars-miniatures-game-essentials-pack/

They have announced an Essentials pack that has everything you need except the army for the Army packs like this one. You get templates and everything.

I think they will have:

Wave 0: Core Set

Wave 1: Hero, Spearmen, Golem, Cavalry / Hero, Reanimates, Lancer, Archers

Wave 2: Elves Box, extra blisters for stuff in the Elves box, and 1 or 2 new units for Undead and Humans

Wave 3: same but with Uthuk

Wave 4: 1 new unit for each faction

So I guess I was right and wrong, but definitely more right than wrong :D I knew they wouldn't include the same items you find in the core with the Latari Elves as that wouldn't force us to buy the core, but you still don't need to buy the core you have to buy the 'essentials' pack. The core still seems like the best bang for your buck, but it usually is as they want to draw people in. *smug face*

Edited by FrogTrigger

1 minute ago, blkdymnd said:

Essentials pack is cool.  Still need more dials ?

For what? Curious. Each unit comes with a dial. Are you meaning if you split them up more than how they're 'packaged'? Like 4 in the core drops to minimum 2 trays? I wonder if the expansions will help cover that.

I will buy this set, like I will buy one of everything, but I'm not impressed by the sculpts.  I am impressed by the rules though.  They capture the play style one would expect from elves without being OP

3 hours ago, jonboyjon1990 said:

I doubt it. I think its Core for Undead and Humans + expansions packs for the same units - as we've seen. Then $60 box for Elves/Uthuk for equivalent of half a core set and then expansion packs of those units. 

I think it'll be:

Wave 0 - Core set (Kari, Spearmen, Rune Golem, Cavalry / Ardus, Reanimates, Lancer, Archers)

Wave 1 -  Expansion packs - Hero, Spearmen, Golem, Cavalry / Hero, Reanimates, Lancer, Archers

Wave 2 - Elves Army Box (Hero, Riders, Scion, Archers) + 2nd Hero, Riders, Scion, Archers expansion packs

Wave 3 - Uthuk Army Box (Hero, Siege Unit, Cavalry Unit, Infantry Unit) + 2nd Hero, Siege Unit, Cavalry Unit, Infantry Unit expansion packs

Alternatively it'll be as above, but wave 2 is just the Elves + Uthuk army boxes, and then Wave 3 is all the expansion packs for those units

3 hours ago, jek said:

Why though? FFG does this in X-wing pretty regularly with the veteran's packs.  And they launch descent with the hero and villain boxes which are 30-40 but have way more figures than would come in single lieutenant upgrades.  It isn't a practice that is unheard of by FFG 

Firstly, there's a massive difference between something like Rebel Aces, Imperial Veterens packs that contain 2 ships and are priced around 80% the price of two ships and an $60 army box that contains 4 units/24 figures. 

Secondly, FFG have already made it quite clear that expansion packs are going to be $25 for 2 trays/8 figures. Why would they abandon that now? 

As i say I think it'll be 4 core units + plus expansions for the same (with unique sculpts and upgrades to incentivise purchase) for each faction. 

We already see that for Humans and Undead. 

The Elf box also has 4 units that mirror the core set. I imagine in a few weeks they'll announce the 4 expansion packs for the units separately. 

The Uthuk box will also be $60 and with a hero, infantry, siege and cavalry. And then associated packs of the same. 

As I say the only question is whether it'll be:

release A - Elf box + Uthuk box, followed by 8 expansions in a later wave

release B - Elf box + packs, followed later by Uthuk box + packs

release C - all of the above all at once

going past all of that - at that point each faction will have 3 units each, 2 heroes and the command pack. 

After that I suppose they could continue with the same release pattern - $60 box + associated packs, but that seems unlikely since that'd be 20 expansions per Wave if you want to keep the factions growing at the same rate. 

What'd more likely is that the box + packs waves will happen now, as we've seen, in order to get the game/factions off the ground, and then future 'regular' waves will be something like 2 expansion packs per faction - so 8 different packs per wave. 

Another reason for FFG to move away from big boxes is that smaller packs are easier for them to sell and for us as consumers it's better, because maybe I just want a few more trays of something and don't want to pay $60 for extras I don't want. 

So I just noticed this... Elf box shows the trumpet upgrade but like... which elf units even need it and also have music slots?  Did I miss one?  See they're including the upgrades in everything to a fault lol.

Edited by Willange

57 minutes ago, Elrad said:

You sureley have some organs you don't need :lol::P or blood, always give blood for the Blood God, it's for the greater good :D

Edited by Iceeagle85

15 minutes ago, Willange said:

So I just noticed this... Elf box shows the trumpet upgrade but like... which elf units even need it and also have music slots?  Did I miss one?  See they're including the upgrades in everything to a fault lol.

I think the Deepwood Archers will probably be able to take music upgrades, but they kept the back of that unit card hidden in this preview. You're right, though -- the Leonx Riders can't even use Trumpets because their turns don't reduce their speed already.

19 minutes ago, jonboyjon1990 said:

Firstly, there's a massive difference between something like Rebel Aces, Imperial Veterens packs that contain 2 ships and are priced around 80% the price of two ships and an $60 army box that contains 4 units/24 figures. 

Secondly, FFG have already made it quite clear that expansion packs are going to be $25 for 2 trays/8 figures. Why would they abandon that now? 

As i say I think it'll be 4 core units + plus expansions for the same (with unique sculpts and upgrades to incentivise purchase) for each faction. 

We already see that for Humans and Undead. 

The Elf box also has 4 units that mirror the core set. I imagine in a few weeks they'll announce the 4 expansion packs for the units separately. 

The Uthuk box will also be $60 and with a hero, infantry, siege and cavalry. And then associated packs of the same. 

As I say the only question is whether it'll be:

release A - Elf box + Uthuk box, followed by 8 expansions in a later wave

release B - Elf box + packs, followed later by Uthuk box + packs

release C - all of the above all at once

going past all of that - at that point each faction will have 3 units each, 2 heroes and the command pack. 

After that I suppose they could continue with the same release pattern - $60 box + associated packs, but that seems unlikely since that'd be 20 expansions per Wave if you want to keep the factions growing at the same rate. 

What'd more likely is that the box + packs waves will happen now, as we've seen, in order to get the game/factions off the ground, and then future 'regular' waves will be something like 2 expansion packs per faction - so 8 different packs per wave. 

Another reason for FFG to move away from big boxes is that smaller packs are easier for them to sell and for us as consumers it's better, because maybe I just want a few more trays of something and don't want to pay $60 for extras I don't want. 

I'm NOT trying to turn this into an argument, mainly I just find this to be a very interesting discussion that will effect us all, I wouldn't find it that surprising to see a big box, maybe not full hero, infantry, special, monster layout. but see a new troops for that wave, that launches then similar expansions launch after.  The difference between a big box and expansions is only a variety of cards so there really isn't any additional production cost from a mold standpoint, just 5-10 cards.  And i don't see how it is different than the aces in anything other than in terms of scale.

46 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

I think the Deepwood Archers will probably be able to take music upgrades, but they kept the back of that unit card hidden in this preview. You're right, though -- the Leonx Riders can't even use Trumpets because their turns don't reduce their speed already.

Except I don't think their turn is penalized either is it?

1 minute ago, Willange said:

Except I don't think their turn is penalized either is it?

Shoot! You got me. I forgot to look at the Archers' dial. You're right, Trumpets seems pointless. Hopefully there will be some Latari unit that can take music upgrades AND has turns that reduce speed. Otherwise, I hope they replace Trumpets with a different upgrade. FFG have been known to do that from time to time.

5 hours ago, jek said:

I think it would have to be elves does Kari's card say non-unique infantry?

I think you are correct.  Maybe I'll add archers or just wait a bit and see what else comes out.

Pooey. I wanted some elves on cats. 

And so they announced what I wanted before my 1st message got approved by a moderator.

25$ with Dice, seems a good price, Elves and Uthuk player can buy the component without buying the core box, so it's good to me. :)

Can be used for loss or used items too.

60+25= 85$ for 1 Faction (145$ to add Uthuk). Since Core box are usually a deal, that doesn't surprise me. ^^

Edited by Arek_Qor
didn't see Dice in the pack

Kari is looking sexy now. Archers alone will be very interesting in Daqan lists, not to mention the Scion.

Now to the individual units

Leonix Riders: Talk about an (potentially) interesting 3 tray formation. They look like they will not hit as hard as Oathsworn but are far more maneuverable. Right now they seem to really just want to get in a flank attack to offset the single red and low threat.

Aliana: That passive will be used quite a bit and she's the type of hero that can run off to threaten flanks or lone Rune Golem units. A larger unit might be tougher for her to deal with, even with the Impact of 2.

Aymhelin Scions: I really like these guys as they can perform several different roles in the army. I might end up using these guys as the Kari unit just because of that versatility.

Deepwood Archers: The low damage isn't appealing but the white special action and their surge make up for it. I'm guessing the point value will be similar to the Reanimate Archers, which might be a bit much for them.

What I really want to know is more about the Overgrow mechanic and how I can abuse it.

I might actually go with a Winter theme with these guys (and gals).

4 minutes ago, Kubernes said:

Kari is looking sexy now. Archers alone will be very interesting in Daqan lists, not to mention the Scion.

As pointed out above, Kari only lets you take non-unique infantry from the Latari faction. Since the Aymhelin Scion is a Siege unit, Kari can't invite it to join the ranks of the Daqan. But yeah, getting archers will be interesting for Daqan.