FrogTrigger

Latari Elves!!!!

Just now, jek said:

There is a chance, I would think, that FFG may have a wave 2 and wave 2.5 release for this.  like how the wave 1 is coming out with 4 things launching then a few weeks later the other 6 drop.  That's how I hope it is at least...it will make any type of serious OP hard, but maybe FFG is only focused on learning/escalation OP this year?

I assume that's how they're planning to do it.  It's not really a problem for the game (again, unless they want elves to be competitive right away), but it just seems unnecessarily slow.  I suppose they could still announce more stuff for elves and release that at the same time but..... yeah probably not haha.  I would assume they would want elves and uthuk to 'catch up' as soon as possible though and I really hope we don't see even more stuff for waiqar/daqan until after elves and uthuk get their respective 'wave 1s'

2 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

I love how the Leonx Riders have a 3-tray option where all three trays are in a line. It really makes it feel like a hunting pack, prowling through the forest.

rwm14_cardfan_unit_leonx-riders.png

See, they're actually an american football team setting up in I-formation... Gonna be a rushing play.

EDIT: You can get triple threat off that if you shift yourself into getting flanked... Is that... better? XD

Edited by Willange

Typically for FFG tournaments, every player is required to have the contents of the respective game's core box.  Granted I doubt anyone is gonna DQ you for not having your X-Wing Senator's Shuttle token, but you should have a set of templates, obstacles, and the damage deck.

Likewise for this game.  Every player will need his own obstacles, deployment cards, objective cards, templates, range ruler, and morale deck.  As well as the various tokens only found in the core box.

This is fantastic! It's even better than I hoped, I like every unit a lot. And Leonx... with the first picture I was affraid it will look more like a wolf, byt the regular leonxes sculpts looks very much like wild cats! 

I also like this tree-like something, I have no idea what thst is, but I love it!

I will skip core to get this, and will try go get all the required stuff from 2nd market (or from ffg if they will release templates-and-cards set).

This is greate news for today!

9 minutes ago, Toqtamish said:

Buy the templates and stuff off of someone that bought two core sets. 

My worry is that the demand for those extra pieces is going to be so high that the cost won't be worth what you get. It's like upgrade cards in X-Wing. If you're paying 50% of the package for a card, you might as well just get the whole package. We'll see, though. It may be an affordable option.

33 minutes ago, jek said:

I feel like we will probably regularly see big box expansions when they release new units.. at least that is my hope because telling someone "hey look at this cool new unit it will be $150 bucks to get it to max formation" will hurt this game a lot.  

I doubt it. I think its Core for Undead and Humans + expansions packs for the same units - as we've seen. Then $60 box for Elves/Uthuk for equivalent of half a core set and then expansion packs of those units. 

15 minutes ago, Willange said:

I assume that's how they're planning to do it.  It's not really a problem for the game (again, unless they want elves to be competitive right away), but it just seems unnecessarily slow.  I suppose they could still announce more stuff for elves and release that at the same time but..... yeah probably not haha.  I would assume they would want elves and uthuk to 'catch up' as soon as possible though and I really hope we don't see even more stuff for waiqar/daqan until after elves and uthuk get their respective 'wave 1s'

I think it'll be:

Wave 0 - Core set (Kari, Spearmen, Rune Golem, Cavalry / Ardus, Reanimates, Lancer, Archers)

Wave 1 -  Expansion packs - Hero, Spearmen, Golem, Cavalry / Hero, Reanimates, Lancer, Archers

Wave 2 - Elves Army Box (Hero, Riders, Scion, Archers) + 2nd Hero, Riders, Scion, Archers expansion packs

Wave 3 - Uthuk Army Box (Hero, Siege Unit, Cavalry Unit, Infantry Unit) + 2nd Hero, Siege Unit, Cavalry Unit, Infantry Unit expansion packs

Alternatively it'll be as above, but wave 2 is just the Elves + Uthuk army boxes, and then Wave 3 is all the expansion packs for those units

2 minutes ago, jonboyjon1990 said:

I doubt it. I think its Core for Undead and Humans + expansions packs for the same units - as we've seen. Then $60 box for Elves/Uthuk for equivalent of half a core set and then expansion packs of those units. 

Why though? FFG does this in X-wing pretty regularly with the veteran's packs.  And they launch descent with the hero and villain boxes which are 30-40 but have way more figures than would come in single lieutenant upgrades.  It isn't a practice that is unheard of by FFG 

@Budgernaut I feel I should point out that part of the reason they have that three tray is that these guys can actually do a Shift 2 - Charge, meaning they can charge sideways. Heck, they can charge -backwards-. What a way to taunt your enemy, setting them up in reverse at the beginning of the game...

Edited by drkpnthr

Its rather disappointing that the elves don't have a core set. One of my friends I was hoping to convince into playing would want to play elves. Telling him he would need to buy a starter set with model and cards for two factions he wouldn't want to play would certainly put him off playing.

11 minutes ago, drkpnthr said:

@Budgernaut I feel I should point out that part of the reason they have that three tray is that these guys can actually do a Shift 2 - Charge, meaning they can charge sideways.

I hadn't even connected those dots but you're right!  The only downside to that is that you'll be flanked so you'll take more damage and can't re-roll (not that you would in that formation anyway barring rank discipline or the like).

EDIT: But then the next turn you can attack -> reform at initiative 4 so that's actually really good.  You'd get 2 triple threat hits off and then reform before they could hit back... unless they had an attack 7 (spearmen) on the first turn or something to hit you after you charge.

Edited by Willange

Hi there !

I'm kinda excited by this game, I like several mechanics and I do own Rune Wars the boardgame and got Battlelore  2nd Editon before it goes aways.

So my choice goes to Uthuk Yllan 1st, then Latari Elves, they are my favorites.

And I'm really concerned by the availability of Morale Deck, Templates and Tokens. They absolutely need to sell them separately from the Core Box ! Since I'm probably the only one who will go for this game at my club I just can't buy the Core Box only for those templates !

Of course my choice will be already at more cost since the Army box will be 60$ with which I need to add the dice and Tokens/Templates but well, you can't put a Miniature Games on the market where you absolutely need the core box to play the game !

And yes I could buy the things I need Online or buying the Core Box and sells miniatures. But what I'm saying is, we need an official option for this. Miniature Games are like this, it would be super weird to force people to do those things and might restrain some people to get into the game.

It's a miniature game, some people wants to collect only 1 army, and they need all the material to go play with someone else or in tournament. Imagine 2 Friends who wants to play Uthuk and Latari against each other, and only those ones...

BUT, if the community ask, loud, for it, I'm sure FFG and Asmodee will answer. It would be great for Organized play too.

Anyway, have fun with the game for early adopter. :)

Regards,

17 minutes ago, drkpnthr said:

@Budgernaut I feel I should point out that part of the reason they have that three tray is that these guys can actually do a Shift 2 - Charge, meaning they can charge sideways. Heck, they can charge -backwards-. What a way to taunt your enemy, setting them up in reverse at the beginning of the game...

Wow, I hadn't realized that. Somehow I was under the impression that you could not collide when performing a shift and if you attempted to shift but would collide, the shift fails. That was completely made-up because it is very clear in RR-18 that you can collide while performing a shift. So in essence, you trade your 2 rerolls for 3 threat if you shift sideways and collide.

1 hour ago, FrogTrigger said:

It says Q3, so perhaps we are going to see a wave of smaller expansions also announced to release alongside these new faction boxes. 

I believe they already said at Gama that new units for the core factions would release around the same time as new factions and that the new factions would quickly be brought up to speed.

All in all a good news article but I wish they showed off the Uthuk rather than the Elves. That said the Elves look fun enough and I'm sure we won't get much grumbling from whoever has to play them in a 2v2 game.

21 minutes ago, codegnave said:

Its rather disappointing that the elves don't have a core set. One of my friends I was hoping to convince into playing would want to play elves. Telling him he would need to buy a starter set with model and cards for two factions he wouldn't want to play would certainly put him off playing.

I'm confident that a rule pack will be made easily available if it isn't already included in the starter packs.

9 minutes ago, Muz333 said:

I'm confident that a rule pack will be made easily available if it isn't already included in the starter packs.

I hope so, though that would leave a sour taste in my mouth over having to buy a starter set for the humans, since I have no desire to play undead. Consistency would have been appreciated, with more than two factions planned from the very start they could have provided that consistency too. If I had a group of people at the store I go to that I knew were going to get into the game then trading would be a more viable option, but as it stands if I'm going to play I'm going to need to get the core set and have have people play the skirmish with me to drum up interest, something that is not garenteed to work.

Edit: I don't mean to sound whiny, sorry about that. It is just a let down for me personally.

Edited by codegnave

2 hours ago, Budgernaut said:

This announcement made me melt inside. I don't know if a lot of you understand what it's like as a BattleLore player to have been waiting years for the Latari Elves. While, this is a separate game, seeing them as miniatures and seeing their signature green all over the package and components makes me so happy I almost feel like crying (slight exaggeration there).

Biggest disappointment of the article is not seeing the Deepwood Archers formation. I'm really curious if they'll be 4x3 like Reanimates, 3x3 like Spearmen, or 2x3 like Reanimate Archers. My guess is 3x3, but I can't wait to know for sure. [EDIT: With Precise 1, I have doubts that they'll be 3x3. EDIT 2: But then, they only roll 2 blue dice, so an extra reroll shouldn't be too overpowered.]

The Aymhelin Scion is ... interesting. I like the old forest guardian better. The use of the word "scion" in conjunction with its tentacle-y, amorphous nature makes it too reminiscent of the Eldrazi in Battle for Zendikar from Magic: The Gathering. I wasn't really a fan of those things, so it's disappointing to see so much similarity between them and the Aymhelin siege piece.

At $60 for an expansion, I think I'll try to pick up the core and each of these faction boxes after all. Looks so awesome!

Scion means heir.  It has nothing to do with tentacles.

I'm a little sad to see the only "infantry" unit is the archers... so Kari's ability is limited (for now?) to adding a formation of them to a Daqan army.  Still a nice way to add ranged attack to the Daqan however.  I wonder if adding Latari upgrades and/or single figure units to them is allowed too?

4 hours ago, FrogTrigger said:

I was patiently waiting for this faction hoping it would line up well with my play style.. and it appears that it has! I love the brutal speed and force of their mounted units, the CC of the scion to set up a barrage from the archers. This looks to be a very fun faction to play. This is really cool as well:

Well done FFG! The only downside is that it does not appear to be a stand alone core, as we expected, so this means that I need to purchase the core and hopefully find someone to buy my armies off of me as I will never use them. I feel like this is a bit of a let down, and has me pondering buying in at all.. looks like I will have time to figure it out as I wait for these guys to release though as it looks like they won't be out until the third quarter of 2017.

You don't really need a core. Buy someones extra dice, templates and upgrades. I have 3 cores and I would gladly sell the extra terrain, templates, deployment and mission cards. The dice should be a 7 pack and you'll probably get the upgrade cards in the elf units...