FrogTrigger

Latari Elves!!!!

44 minutes ago, FrogTrigger said:

Well done FFG! The only downside is that it does not appear to be a stand alone core, as we expected, so this means that I need to purchase the core and hopefully find someone to buy my armies off of me as I will never use them. I feel like this is a bit of a let down, and has me pondering buying in at all.. looks like I will have time to figure it out as I wait for these guys to release though as it looks like they won't be out until the third quarter of 2017.

Rules are available online. Dice sold separately. Borrow templates/terrain from opponent. Templates will be available in acrylic eventually. 

1 minute ago, MegaSilver said:

Ah whoops! Thought they were the fourth revealed. What are the uthuk?

the short is desert dwelling half demon people that summon demons and ride scorpions and are awesome.  my girl wishes they previewed them instead (they are her preferred faction)

39 minutes ago, Klaxas said:

to be fair most people didnt expect a second core.  they wanted it, but most people didnt expect it.

having said that........  OMG Elves are awesome!

I worded that poorly but that was what I meant, we didn't expect to see a second core but I still would have liked one!

Interesting about the borrow templates idea, I like that. If two Latari go up against each other I am sure there is going to be more than enough template stuff floating around at the tournament. The last X-Wing tourney I was at someone forgot their templates and out of 18 people 7 had an extra set on them.. by the time this faction is released I can see quite a few acrylic templates being available as well.

Where it will matter though are upgrade cards, you can keep buying singles of stuff off ebay but at he end of the day probably easier on you and your wallet to just grab a core and sell off the factions you don't want.

Edited by FrogTrigger

2 minutes ago, jonboyjon1990 said:

Rules are available online. Dice sold separately. Borrow templates/terrain from opponent. Templates will be available in acrylic eventually. 

What if you and your opponent don't have templates?

1 minute ago, Hijodecain said:

What if you and your opponent don't have templates?

I think that a lot of people are buying 2 cores and people will want to support their local community of new players - it won't be too difficult to get a hold of some - either borrowing or to purchase. 

Within weeks I imagine acrylic ones will be available. 

2 minutes ago, Hijodecain said:

What about cards, deployment, terrain, missions... you need to find someone who sell them to you.

You only need the terrain, objective and deployment cards. They're available online. 

All I'm saying is, if people want to play, and not buy the core set, it is doable. 

30 minutes ago, eilif said:

Count me in as one who won't be collecting the faction, but will definitely be adding an elf unit to my Daqan via Kari.  The question is whether to add the most usefull unit (proabably archers) or the coolest looking (elves on wildcats!).

I think it would have to be elves does Kari's card say non-unique infantry?

So comparatively if we had to buy Daqan/Waiqar it would be about a $120 plus dice/templates/rulebooks. I hope we see an army expansion for each of the main factions, and maybe (just maybe) releases of Terrain packs and acrylic templates. 

This announcement made me melt inside. I don't know if a lot of you understand what it's like as a BattleLore player to have been waiting years for the Latari Elves. While, this is a separate game, seeing them as miniatures and seeing their signature green all over the package and components makes me so happy I almost feel like crying (slight exaggeration there).

Biggest disappointment of the article is not seeing the Deepwood Archers formation. I'm really curious if they'll be 4x3 like Reanimates, 3x3 like Spearmen, or 2x3 like Reanimate Archers. My guess is 3x3, but I can't wait to know for sure. [EDIT: With Precise 1, I have doubts that they'll be 3x3. EDIT 2: But then, they only roll 2 blue dice, so an extra reroll shouldn't be too overpowered.]

The Aymhelin Scion is ... interesting. I like the old forest guardian better. The use of the word "scion" in conjunction with its tentacle-y, amorphous nature makes it too reminiscent of the Eldrazi in Battle for Zendikar from Magic: The Gathering. I wasn't really a fan of those things, so it's disappointing to see so much similarity between them and the Aymhelin siege piece.

At $60 for an expansion, I think I'll try to pick up the core and each of these faction boxes after all. Looks so awesome!

Edited by Budgernaut

Yeah to be honest I was considering maybe just sticking to the Undead, but seeing this I think I'm all in on everything. 

I mean: 2 cores and x1 of every undead and human expansion will give you quite a lot of options and is (only) around £400. 

4 minutes ago, drkpnthr said:

So comparatively if we had to buy Daqan/Waiqar it would be about a $120 plus dice/templates/rulebooks. I hope we see an army expansion for each of the main factions, and maybe (just maybe) releases of Terrain packs and acrylic templates. 

I feel like we will probably regularly see big box expansions when they release new units.. at least that is my hope because telling someone "hey look at this cool new unit it will be $150 bucks to get it to max formation" will hurt this game a lot.  

11 minutes ago, Hijodecain said:

Everything depends of your budget. Mine is stuck in one core box, exchange one faction and get one expansion box of the collected faction. 

Yeah, that makes sense. My budget sounds as limited as yours, but I'm opting to go wide instead of deep at the beginning. Because there is no second core, I'll be picking up the Undead/Daqan core armies. Since I'm an Uthuk player, I'll also be getting their army box. At that point, well, I can't very well leave the elves out after having waited for them in BattleLore for so long, so I'll have to buy that, too.

I think I'll play a lot of 200-point matches where different factions team up together. Next year I'll have to see about building up a 200-point Uthuk army. The Latari faction army box is probably the only expansion I'll buy that isn't Uthuk.

Edited by Budgernaut

My only complaint about the elves release is that they (probably) won't come out at the same time as their 'wave 1' xpacs.  I have 2 cores (kept everything) and plan to get 1 of each wave 1 xpac for human/undead.  So if I buy 2 latari army boxes, then they won't quite be on even footing with my humans and undead for a while.  Since 2 cores doesn't quite allows 200 point armies (I mean, you can kinda stretch it but with no real room for variability) then I doubt 2 army boxes will either.  The problem is that you can't include the hero twice so those are sorta wasted points in the second box.  

So then if you wanna play a comfortable 200 point elf army, you'll probably need 3 army boxes but then you'll just buy the xpacs anyway later... You see the issue.  Personally, I'll just wait till they have expansions to do 200-points, but it's just slightly annoying.  It's probably a short time between their army box and their expansion boxes, but it's slightly annoying from a competitive standpoint.  Super hyped for elves but my impatient side is bothered by the staggered expansions sometimes.  For non-competitive games it won't be a problem though.

2 minutes ago, Willange said:

My only complaint about the elves release is that they (probably) won't come out at the same time as their 'wave 1' xpacs.  I have 2 cores (kept everything) and plan to get 1 of each wave 1 xpac for human/undead.  So if I buy 2 latari army boxes, then they won't quite be on even footing with my humans and undead for a while.  Since 2 cores doesn't quite allows 200 point armies (I mean, you can kinda stretch it but with no real room for variability) then I doubt 2 army boxes will either.  The problem is that you can't include the hero twice so those are sorta wasted points in the second box.  

So then if you wanna play a comfortable 200 point elf army, you'll probably need 3 army boxes but then you'll just buy the xpacs anyway later... You see the issue.  Personally, I'll just wait till they have expansions to do 200-points, but it's just slightly annoying.  It's probably a short time between their army box and their expansion boxes, but it's slightly annoying from a competitive standpoint.  Super hyped for elves but my impatient side is bothered by the staggered expansions sometimes.  For non-competitive games it won't be a problem though.

There is a chance, I would think, that FFG may have a wave 2 and wave 2.5 release for this.  like how the wave 1 is coming out with 4 things launching then a few weeks later the other 6 drop.  That's how I hope it is at least...it will make any type of serious OP hard, but maybe FFG is only focused on learning/escalation OP this year?

26 minutes ago, Hijodecain said:

Of course you can make a proxy of everything.

But if you don't want to print your own stuff looks like you need to buy also the core box. And in my own opinion is not good. 

Buy the templates and stuff off of someone that bought two core sets.