Covok

[Homebrew] Legacy Era Primer

I've decided to write up a short, simple, not too intensive set of guidelines for playing during the Legacy era. It's mostly player facing.

This isn't as intensive as the Clone Wars supplement I'm working on as this Legacy Era Primer is just some notes for a game I'm planning on running that I thought I'd share whereas the Clone War supplement is meant to be an unofficial fan supplement.*

It features:

• A short description of the Era and its main factions
  • Rules for making a competent Force User at Chargen without breaking balance
  • Rules for Jedi Knight level play
  • Rules for Imperial Knight Armor
  • Stats for Yuuzhan Vong as a player species
  • Rules for Yuuzhan Vong tech
  • Rules for a new type of Obligation called "Legacy" which focuses on reinforcing the themes of the era[/list]

The primer can be found here.

I loved the legacy era and tried to get my group playing a Legacy game thinking my many darkside inclined friends would love Krayt's Sith Empire where they could coexist and spend their time hunting and purging Jedi. Unfortunately I could only get one of my players to read the materials I created for the campaign which lead to the group struggling. I hope your group enjoys it. 

This is a pretty cool setup. I think that the Yuuzhan Vong should get a boost die when using Vong tech. Mostly just getting rid of a setback die is borderline useless and adding a boost die is more effective.

On 4/10/2017 at 9:19 PM, Myleghurtz said:

This is a pretty cool setup. I think that the Yuuzhan Vong should get a boost die when using Vong tech. Mostly just getting rid of a setback die is borderline useless and adding a boost die is more effective.

My reasoning for that is that Vong tech gives everyone a setback dice by default to represent their unfamiliarity with it. Vong, essentially, ignore that and can use it without the setback die. As Vong tech gets a free Advantage because its essentially Superior gear, in a way, they are, in a roundabout way, getting a Free Advantage with that racial ability.

Also, as a general question to the thread, some people have suggested moving the 1 from Intellect to Presence. I put it in Intellect because all the skills influenced by Intellect have to do with familiarly with traditional machine tech and knowledge of the galaxy, both things the Vong would be bad at. Some people feel this is a misrepresentation of Vong intelligence. Everyone's thoughts?

Also, might go in and add some tech instead of the kind of "shrug" answer I originally gave. 

Edited by Covok

I disagree with the notion that the skills influenced by Intellect have to do with the familiarity of traditional machine tech and knowledge of the galaxy.  The Vong use biological means to replicate everything that a machine could be used for.  A Vongform computer is still a computer, it just uses biological materials versus non-biological materials.  Therefore a Vong PC would still use Computers to interact with Vongform computers.  Same with Mechanics, Medicine, and the Education skills.  The Vong also had extensive reconnaissance missions within the galaxy for several decades.

As far as Vong using inorganic machines, you could impose a Discipline check or a Strain cost to game-mechanically represent that belief system.