Green Knight

Vassal Summer 2017 Tournament

Sometimes i really dont understand the choice for a Commander.

Aresius List for example. Why Dodonna? There is only one ship that can make use of it. And not even a single Bomber in it as well. Sure, it is the cheapest one. But there would have been better choices for a good effect.

And a few more little fun facts:
50+ pages of discussion for Rapid Launch Bays. And so many said, this card is "so great" now.
There are TWO (2!) RLB in all the lists.
On the other hand, there are 9 Boarding Troopers (all on imperial side). And 0 Boarding Engineers.

9x Nebulon B and 8 of them are Yavaris. The 9th is no Yavaris, because it is unique, and the fleet has two Nebulons ;).

14x Gladiator. 10 of them are Demolisher. So half of the imperial lists have a Demolisher.

5x Maarek Stele and 4x Jendon. This are really low numbers, of two squadrons, i thought are the most powerfull ones.

3 minutes ago, Tokra said:

Sometimes i really dont understand the choice for a Commander.

Aresius List for example. Why Dodonna? There is only one ship that can make use of it. And not even a single Bomber in it as well. Sure, it is the cheapest one. But there would have been better choices for a good effect.

I can answer this (it's the same reason High-Capacity Ions and Veteran Gunners): it's all about being 1st player and making that BC double-arc you to death.

4 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

I can answer this (it's the same reason High-Capacity Ions and Veteran Gunners): it's all about being 1st player and making that BC double-arc you to death.

This explain the ships and the bid, but not the Commander. Sure, the good bid is coming from the cheap commander. But i would take a commander who has at least some good use. Or use the effect from the Commander a bit more.
For example with some bombers, so the effect can trigger at least from these. Green Squadron would be the first that comes up for this.

But often someone has an own idea behind a list, and others cannot see this (not many can understand this better than me ;)).

3 hours ago, Tokra said:

50+ pages of discussion for Rapid Launch Bays. And so many said, this card is "so great" now.

This has always been my stance on the card. We all argued for months with most of us having no intention of actually using the card. Losing deployment hurts and it takes an offensive retrofit so I can deploy those squads possibly at range 1 of a target and not engaged. I'ts a gimmicky upgrade that can back fire horribly. Unless the RLB ship is large, there is not a whole lot of space to place the squads within range 1 so it's very easy to screen the ship with 1 or 2 squads to prevent an alpha strike. Or you destroy the ship and they lose all those squads.

I expect there will be some ship build that will work with RLB but it won't catch on.

17 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

This has always been my stance on the card. We all argued for months with most of us having no intention of actually using the card. Losing deployment hurts and it takes an offensive retrofit so I can deploy those squads possibly at range 1 of a target and not engaged. I'ts a gimmicky upgrade that can back fire horribly. Unless the RLB ship is large, there is not a whole lot of space to place the squads within range 1 so it's very easy to screen the ship with 1 or 2 squads to prevent an alpha strike. Or you destroy the ship and they lose all those squads.

I expect there will be some ship build that will work with RLB but it won't catch on.

@Undeadguy just summoned RLB into half the lists at worlds....THANKS A LOT!!!

:D

4 hours ago, Tokra said:

On the other hand, there are 9 Boarding Troopers (all on imperial side). And 0 Boarding Engineers.

From my point of view, I love RLB. I spent ages trying to craft the perfect list for it when it first came out, then saw @Parkdaddy's list and realised that was the perfect form of what I had been grappling round the edges with. Tried it a couple of times, loved it.

However I wouldn't want to run that in the Vassal tournament because it seems cheeky (a real life tournament, maybe).

Secondly, I really wanted to give the new Rebel admiral a go and Leia fits with a very different type of list (IMO).

Also, I would have loaded up on boarding parties of some sort but the Rebel options for fielding them are not nearly as good as the Imperial ones right now.

Edit: also, I wanted a list without too many interlocking parts to minimise my analysis paralysis.

Edited by ManInTheBox

14 minutes ago, moodswing5537 said:

@Undeadguy just summoned RLB into half the lists at worlds....THANKS A LOT!!!

:D

I did you a favor! Now you can take 1 less deployment. And just take 2 beefy fighters to screen for the RLB and you're already doing better than your opponent.

4 hours ago, Tokra said:

I chose that commander to potentially do 8 additional damage  plus the dice damage. :)

@Green Knight 5 people are under my bid and ofc i play against one of them... i hate you.

Edited by Aresius

4 hours ago, Tokra said:

This explain the ships and the bid, but not the Commander. Sure, the good bid is coming from the cheap commander. But i would take a commander who has at least some good use. Or use the effect from the Commander a bit more.
For example with some bombers, so the effect can trigger at least from these. Green Squadron would be the first that comes up for this.

But often someone has an own idea behind a list, and others cannot see this (not many can understand this better than me ;)).

Man I need you to follow me around and question my daily decisions. I might make better choices....

"Why are you eating that bagel without creamcheese?"

"You know no one drives less than 5 miles over the speed limit, you'll be late!"

"Seriously? A Bow tie with that shirt?" 

3 minutes ago, moodswing5537 said:

Man I need you to follow me around and question my daily decisions. I might make better choices....

"Why are you eating that bagel without creamcheese?"

"You know no one drives less than 5 miles over the speed limit, you'll be late!"

"Seriously? A Bow tie with that shirt?" 

No need to be this mean. You must have missunderstand me (maybe i wrote it in a bad way).
I am not question the decission from him.

The bold text means that I can understand why some decissions are made (related to the green text), that other question about.

I NEVER meant to say that my ideas or decission are better and right. I wanted to say that i can clearly understand that some made decissions in their lists, that are not clear for others, but have a deeper reasons.

6 minutes ago, Ginkapo said:

Tokra is German. You wont see humour in his written text very often. This is just the style of writing rather than anything else. 

Just assume it is more extreme sarcasm than mine. 

Tokra. Americans dont understand sarcasm anyway. :)

This explains much. My apologies for assuming bluntness over sarcasm. As we all know, the internet doesn't allow for tone in typing. 

And Gink, we do understand sarcasm, we just haven't elevated it to an art form like the Welsh.....

5 hours ago, Tokra said:

If I used vassal, I'd be using the boarding engineers for this tourney. 2 GR75, 2 lean shrimp with APT, Gallant haven, Biggs-ball, and Dodonna. 

I've playtested it before, and pending the ruling of the card, it varies from average to insane. I think Lyreaus would love it with hammerheads in his DTO fleet. 

22 minutes ago, Tokra said:

No need to be this mean. You must have missunderstand me (maybe i wrote it in a bad way).
I am not question the decission from him.

The bold text means that I can understand why some decissions are made (related to the green text), that other question about.

I NEVER meant to say that my ideas or decission are better and right. I wanted to say that i can clearly understand that some made decissions in their lists, that are not clear for others, but have a deeper reasons.

Don't mind Moodswing, he wasn't trying to be mean.  I think he's just teasing you a bit since the tourney hasn't started and you kind of jumped on Aresius' Commander choice.

Having met you at Worlds, I know you didn't mean this with any malintent.  I love reading all of your posts with your awesome German accent :)

5 minutes ago, CaribbeanNinja said:

Don't mind Moodswing, he wasn't trying to be mean.  I think he's just teasing you a bit since the tourney hasn't started and you kind of jumped on Aresius' Commander choice.

Having met you at Worlds, I know you didn't mean this with any malintent.  I love reading all of your posts with your awesome German accent :)

Jesus, now I'M reading all his posts with a German accent....:P