Green Knight

Vassal Summer 2017 Tournament

Announcing the Next Big Thing on the Vassal Tournament scene:

The Vassal Summer 2017 Tournament

Following on the heels of the two Vassal Freshman tournaments, this is going to be a top-notch event. The best tournament ever. Featuring FOUR Swiss rounds. Four rounds is amazing. And it will have a Top 4 Cut after that. Truly great.

-----

Tier: Formal.

Please don't read too much into the word "formal". It just means you should know how to play Armada, and have at least basic familiarity with the Armada module. Anyone taking part in the Freshman tourney definitely qualify!

Structure: Custom, 4 rounds Swiss, Top 4 cut.

This means everyone plays 4 games, vs opponents with more or less matching skill level, using Crydoex (a computer program) for pairings.

After 4 rounds, the top 4 players will go on to play elimination rounds. Pairings for the semi is Game 1: 1 vs 4, Game 2: 2 vs 3. Final is oc whomever wins their semis.

TO/Marshal: Green Knight.

The TO/Marshal can't participate.

Judges: It is mainly up to the players to resolve any disputes. If in doubt, they are free to ask any spectator for advice, but must ultimately reach a gentleman's agreement - or roll the dice. They may also contact the Marshal, who will reply ASAP if able.

That said, I do hope some experienced players are willing to step forward and take on the role of judges. If I can get a few volunteers from each sector, that would be really helpful. Judges can oc participate; they just can't judge their own matches.

Euro sector judges:  @Tokra @Ginkapo @Aresius

NA sector judges: @CaribbeanNinja @JJs Juggernaut @Ardaedhel

Tournament FAQ: A tournament FAQ will be made available no later then April 23rd, aiming to answer any issues not addressed by the long-overdue FAQ.

Fleets: Standard 400 pt, everything up to and including wave 5 and CC, plus any wave 6 cards that have been spoiled prior to the submission deadline.

Currently that includes: Admiral Sloane, Boarding Engineers, Boarding Troopers, External Racks, Garel's Honor, and Leia Organa.

Wiki reference: http://starwars-armada.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Wave_6_Expansion_Packs

Fab's Fleet generator has all the new cards: http://armada.fabpsb.net/gindex.php?lng=en

Objectives: Objectives are secret, as per tourney rules, but must be submitted along with the rest of your list to the TO.

Deadline to register: Sunday, April 23rd

Deadline to submit fleets: Sunday, April 30th

Players are free to update submitted fleets up until the deadline (but don't overdo it - it's a lot to keep track of for me).

Start date: Monday, May 8th.

End date: Swiss play should be concluded end of May/early June, with Elimination rounds right after.

Edited by Green Knight

MEASURING:

When a squadron activates, signal this by toggling the activation slider immediately. Do not wait until the squad is done activation.

When moving squadrons, players may utilize a SECOND range/distance overlay (in addition to the distance overlay of the squadron they are moving), without violating the two-tool rule.

When a squadron is placed, the final position* cannot be adjusted. The only exception would be if the squadron was obviously misplaced due to prematurely releasing the mouse button etc. If that happens, the player may undo and try again.

This rule is intended to A) speed play and B) comply with the newest tourney regs. If both players agree, they may continue to use old school squadron movement, as long as it remains fast and consistent.

* a squadron has not been finally placed until the owning player releases the mouse button and declares he's done (SET or similar).

SLOW PLAY:

Slow play is hard to adjudicate on Vassal since we don't use a timer, but 3 hours should be MORE THAN SUFFICIENT to complete a match. Add 30 mins if using text-chat only. If matches take longer than this, one or both players are guilty of slow play.

The most typical (Vassal) mode of slow play is over-measuring. This is when a player takes several minutes to fiddle with the maneuver tool, even for inconsequential moves. Often he will also clear the maneuver tool and remeasure distance/range, before resuming fiddling with the man tool. If both players do this on a regular basis, games take forever.

Other examples include taking a long time to decide upon setup, setting new commands slowly, having trouble selecting which ship to activate, constantly fiddling with squadrons' final positions (now illegal), etc.

If you feel your opponent is taking to long CALL HIM OUT IN A POLITE, YET CONCISE MANNER. Just be sure you're not guilty of the same. My point isn't that player should rush; my point is that reasonably fast play is more fun for all. If both players go into the match having speedy play as a goal, this should not be a problem.

OTHER RULES:

Scoring: Standard scoring from the tourney regs (Swiss rounds). 

Conceding: If a player concedes, his opponent scores a win (8 tournament points and 140 MoV during Swiss). If, however, the winner would score MORE as calculated from the end state, he scores that number of tournament points and MoV instead. This rule WILL be enforced; no auto 10-1 wins for a player whose opponent has conceded. Conceding without good cause is just lame; so don't.

No show: If a player fails to log on for a scheduled match his opponent receives the the win (8 tournament points and 140 MoV).

Failure to schedule: If players are unable to schedule a game they both receive a loss (0 tournament points and 0 MoV). If it's clearly the fault of one of the players it counts as a no show for that player instead.

Extensions: If you cannot complete a game within the period allotted to a round, contact the TO (Green Knight). We should be able to work something out unless the delay is too large. If you fail to contact the TO this counts as failure to schedule.

Saving and resuming: If a match cannot be completed in one sitting, it's OK to save and resume at a later date IF BOTH PLAYERS AGREE. If they can't agree, one player must concede. It is therefore a good idea to establish for how long both parties can play before starting the match. This rule also applies if one player suddenly has a RL interruption and must leave.

TOURNEY FAQ:

@Drasnighta has been very kind and made an updated Tourney FAQ for us, including spoiled w6 stuff (link on the 1st page also).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1M6J-ee0JzVWn46d22GdiX2-6CuzSYB_p93nJbU0LqcE/edit?usp=sharing

LISTS (Google Drive Sheet):

The main tab shows a summery of all lists; the remaining tabs show all lists (sans objectives).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fbUvhSdDxcz4PGtY9NmzXYO1Ueaur32jlknq0o4QXF4

Edited by Green Knight

Round 1 formally begins on Monday 8th of May.

All games must be concluded by Wednesday 17th of May.

Round 1 matchupos:

1: @Irishmadcat VS @moodswing5537
2: @ManInTheBox VS @Maturin
3: @Truthiness VS @Undeadguy
4: @CaribbeanNinja VS @thecactusman17
5: @Visovics VS @Darth Veggie
6: @Lord Preyer VS @Aresius
7: @JJs Juggernaut VS @RStan
8: @SkyCake VS @Green Squadron 3
9: @SoonerTed VS @Roquax
10: @fullmetal2017 VS @jp82729
11: @NebulonB VS @doobleg
12: @SilentSteve VS @Matt Antilles
13: @Hystarr VS @Paindemic7708
14: @emfrank VS @Plagueis
15: @Dr Alex VS @Rocco79
16: @BrobaFett VS @comatose
17: @itzSteve VS @Villakarvarousku
18: @BiggsIRL VS @Ginkapo
19: @Tokra VS @MattShadowlord
20: @pt106 VS @GiledPallaeon
21: @Lyraeus VS @Dorrin314
22: @PodRacer VS @drdoom28704
23: @MrScience VS @ThrawnsMightyBrain

Link to the offical Round 1 matchup/results thread:
Edited by Green Knight

4 minutes ago, JJs Juggernaut said:

I would possibly recommend starting after the first week of May. A number of players will be occupied at Worlds that first week.

Also, Gariel's Honor is worthless without the Hammerhead being spoiled...

Lastly, I'm in!

1. Good point

2. I know! :rolleyes:

3. You barely qualify, but ok :P

2 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

The Vassal crowd has a long history of fooling around with preview cards. 

No problem from my side. I am really awaiting Sloane. She fit my play style really well. I only hope we will see some of the ships in time.
But i am afraid that they will show most of the wave at the Worlds. Maybe delay the dealine for the fleets after it?

4 minutes ago, Tokra said:

No problem from my side. I am really awaiting Sloane. She fit my play style really well. I only hope we will see some of the ships in time.
But i am afraid that they will show most of the wave at the Worlds. Maybe delay the dealine for the fleets after it?

Waiting for FFG to release something...madness lies down that path :ph34r:

The actual ships are the hardest to get into the module: I need both the full ship cards and a good look at the fire arcs. Preferably access to the actual ship tokens. So usually about the last thing to get added.

34 minutes ago, Tokra said:

Count me in for this as well.
Even when i think that allowing some wave 6 cards is not the best idea. But i am up for the challange ;)

Vassal tourneys tend to include some of the oddest fleets around. Its very much a testbed. Part of the fun. 

After all, who is willing to invest in 8 gozanti before seeing if it works...

11 minutes ago, Darth Veggie said:

How long will 1 round be? I will be on my honeymoon for one week in June, but I'd love to participate. However, I totally understand, if that does not fly. At least I will fly :D

About a week per round, probably a few days more. The Freshman pacing feels about right.

46 minutes ago, Ginkapo said:

Vassal tourneys tend to include some of the oddest fleets around. Its very much a testbed. Part of the fun. 

After all, who is willing to invest in 8 gozanti before seeing if it works...

Let me quote from my favorite Battletech novel.

"I am not answering to rhetorical questions. I always end in trouble when i do" ;)

Well after only one game in the Vassal Freshman Tournament, I'm looking forward to all my Armada games now and this just allows to put more games on the schedule to look forward to!

a.k.a. I'm registering.