IrishCyborg

Custom Fan made Star wars Clone Wars Prequel Expansion

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi!

I'm creating a prequel expansion to Star Wars Rebellion. The expansion's current working name is Star Wars: The Clone Wars board game. Just stressing something; Disney, Lucasfilm, and FFG endorse this game in no way. I've started work on the leaders, with many of their first iterations ready. I will be playtesting this game using Vassal, there will be a sign-up form soon.

Darth Vader has turned to the dark side

A preview of Darth Vader. You may notice the little lightsaber, that's a new skill called Force. The reason he has one less diplomacy than in Rebellion is because he is still filled with hate.

You can read more about this fan made expansion on my blog here.

Regards,

IrishCyborg

Edited by IrishCyborg

Before you design leader's I'd consider thinking about what you want the core gameplay to be. The primary conflict in the clone wars was totally different and there was a lot more parity in military strength between the sides.

You could absolutely use the same map for such a game. But the core rules would need to be a bit different.

Posted (edited)

I've actually got the rules mostly ironed out, I'm currently typing them down.

DarkLord.png

The separatists use this Dark lord leader and can reveal him using special missions. He does not have to be Palpatine, he could be Kenobi or any other Republic leader.

The map will also probably be different, to include planets like Teth and Cristophsis (is that how you spell it?)

Regards,

IrishCyborg

Edited by IrishCyborg

Posted (edited)

I've created a form to sign up to playtest this game using Vassal here. If you have time to spare playtesting, please do, the more playtesters the better the game is for everyone!

Here's one of the planned Republic figures, the Venator -class star cruiser. I digitally rendered this using Krakelin's 3D model.

VenatorFigure.png

Regards,

IrishCyborg

Edited by IrishCyborg

I'm curious about the objectives. Though the idea of the republic having one leader who is the "dark lord" and they have to figure out who he is is fascinating. Sorta like rebellion but using leaders instead of systems. I can dig it.

4 hours ago, davidumstattd said:

I'm curious about the objectives. Though the idea of the republic having one leader who is the "dark lord" and they have to figure out who he is is fascinating. Sorta like rebellion but using leaders instead of systems. I can dig it.

Most likely, the Separatists will have objective cards to win, although some of their missions may also give VP.

Republic will probably win once the dark lord has been revealed. Even though that is not thematically correct, seeing as Palpatine was revealed but still won, I still think it is the best win condition for the Republic.

Regards,

IrishCyborg

On 4/10/2017 at 8:12 PM, IrishCyborg said:

Most likely, the Separatists will have objective cards to win, although some of their missions may also give VP.

Republic will probably win once the dark lord has been revealed. Even though that is not thematically correct, seeing as Palpatine was revealed but still won, I still think it is the best win condition for the Republic.

Regards,

IrishCyborg

This is the hardest part of handling a Clone Wars game as both sides were basically being played by the same guy, so no mater who won everyone lost. Which is why I liked the talk people had of making it a three sided game where Palpatine was his own side who could move either side's fleets and was trying to make the game go long and keep one side from winning. His winning condition being related to time mostly. Whereas for the Republic and CIS it was more of a classic wargame.

2 hours ago, davidumstattd said:

This is the hardest part of handling a Clone Wars game as both sides were basically being played by the same guy, so no mater who won everyone lost. Which is why I liked the talk people had of making it a three sided game where Palpatine was his own side who could move either side's fleets and was trying to make the game go long and keep one side from winning. His winning condition being related to time mostly. Whereas for the Republic and CIS it was more of a classic wargame.

I did think of using that, but I decided I would prefer to keep it two players and just roll the dark lord in with the Separatists.

Personally, I think that the hardest part to implement will be Order 66. I'll still need to make it possible for the Republic to win, because otherwise Order 66 is just an immediate win for the Separatists.

Ok, I've got the rest of the leaders created, in roughly alphabetical order:

asoka_1_orig.png    boba_orig.png

c3po-r2d2_orig.png    cadbane_orig.png

cody_orig.png    darklord_orig.png

darthvader_orig.png    dooku_orig.png

grievous_orig.png    gunray_orig.png  obi1_orig.png    padme_orig.png

palpatine_orig.png    poggle_orig.png

rex_orig.png    savage_orig.png

skywalker_orig.png    t17_orig.png

tarkin_orig.png    ventress_orig.png

wattambor_orig.png    windu_orig.png

yoda_orig.png    yularen_orig.png

maul.png

You can see all the images here on my website.

I've just finished the board for the game, I made it completely from scratch, the images are mostly taken from Wookiepedia.

gamemap-copy_1_orig.png

Note that both Coruscant and Geonosis are always loyal to their corresponding sides.

And the other possible starting positions are shown below.

starting-positions-small_orig.png

You can read more about this game on my website.

P.S. I explain these --> neutral.png?1492675087  on my website.