Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
flightmaster101

Seriously FFG?

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, flightmaster101 said:

You announce a game mat for Runewars and it's 3x3?  For your 3x6 game?

Come on, really?

I don't really see a problem. You just use 2 of them.  Same for the big Armada games im told and no complaints about that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Klaxas said:

I don't really see a problem. You just use 2 of them.  Same for the big Armada games im told and no complaints about that

Yes they do it for Armada, and there are many of us who have been begging for 6x3 mats for Armada for a while now.  Its gotten to the point where many of us have yoga mats cut to 6x3 so we don't have to deal with tables that don't meet quite right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, blkdymnd said:

There's no issue, this was pretty much predicted from the get go with their other mats history

There is an issue.  Sorry to be that guy, but I'm making it one.  I would love to be loyal to ffg, but now I'm pretty sure I'm taking my business elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, that's fine.  If it doesn't work for you, there will probably be many that go the 3rd party route once more jump on the 6x3 bandwagon.  But this is no different than what they've done for all their games so far

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, flightmaster101 said:

Yes they do it for Armada, and there are many of us who have been begging for 6x3 mats for Armada for a while now.  Its gotten to the point where many of us have yoga mats cut to 6x3 so we don't have to deal with tables that don't meet quite right.

Since you know they do it for Armada you should have expected it so it shouldn't have been a surprise and it sounds like you already have a solution so why the fuss?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It makes sense. It's probably cheaper to produce that way since they already make 3x3 mats. It's probably easier for stores to stock and store. And it works well for skirmish games.

I'm just glad to be spoiled for choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, flightmaster101 said:

There is an issue.  Sorry to be that guy, but I'm making it one.  I would love to be loyal to ffg, but now I'm pretty sure I'm taking my business elsewhere.

Who cares? Just do it. You really think that anyone here has only FFG stuff? I am a huge fan of IA but that doesn't mean I am not buying my maps from a 3rd party to save about 80% on each.  And no one will every give you grief for using a properly sized 3rd party mat.  

 

TLDR; Not something that is worth getting upset over, amigo...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Klaxas said:

Since you know they do it for Armada you should have expected it so it shouldn't have been a surprise and it sounds like you already have a solution so why the fuss?

Let's be clear, and read my words.  I'm not surprised I'm disappointed.  Yes I have a solution for Armada and I was hoping (not expecting, not demanding) they would make the mat equal to their regulation game area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, loki_tbc said:

Who cares? Just do it. You really think that anyone here has only FFG stuff? I am a huge fan of IA but that doesn't mean I am not buying my maps from a 3rd party to save about 80% on each.  And no one will every give you grief for using a properly sized 3rd party mat.  

 

TLDR; Not something that is worth getting upset over, amigo...

 

When did I say I was upset?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, flightmaster101 said:

Let's be clear, and read my words.  I'm not surprised I'm disappointed.  Yes I have a solution for Armada and I was hoping (not expecting, not demanding) they would make the mat equal to their regulation game area.

Disappointment implies that you expected something different.

It's really simple   ffg does these mats in house right? So they have a machine that makes them. That machine probably just makes 3x3 mats. To do 3x6 they would need a new machine and that just isn't cost effective for them right now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean, I don't buy any of FFG's mats just because I think they're a kick in the pants price-wise anyway.

I may pick these up, but the fact that I have to wait means I'm seeking alternatives.

There's a decent 6x4 grass mat up on Amazon I'm going to put some Amazon credit toward and just cut a foot off one side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Klaxas said:

Disappointment implies that you expected something different.

It's really simple   ffg does these mats in house right? So they have a machine that makes them. That machine probably just makes 3x3 mats. To do 3x6 they would need a new machine and that just isn't cost effective for them right now.  

I'm pretty sure they're made in China.

I've expressed my opinion, you don't agree.  Fine.  I know this: Armada players I've played with have been asking this of FFG for a while.  At every place I've played from Portland, Or to Vancouver BC everyone says it would be nice to have a 6x3 with nice FFG Star Wars art on it.  So I would think if they are doing Terrinoth specific art for RW it would be nice to have that art in a 3x6.

So there it is laid plain.  So feel free to continue making a caricature of my opinion, cause I've said what I meant to and now I'm done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Drakoniss said:

I don,t see the problem.

It isn't necessarily a problem. It's a matter of preference. I do not want to purchase two 3x3 mats and use them for a full sized game as I wish to avoid having a seam where the two mats meet. I would prefer a single unified play field. If you're cool with two mats, then more power to you, I'm not gonna say you shouldn't use 'em. I would just prefer something else for myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can understand it for Armada/X-Wing because you can just produce one size for X-Wing and use two of them for Armada, but for a game that only uses 3x6 (I know the learn to play game is 3x3) it feels strange, of course if they only can produce 3x3 I understand it but as it seems Armada players also want bigger mats this could have been the time to get the machine for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I also prefer 6*3 and I know that there are lots of other makers out there and I will shop around until I find what I want. It's healthy market practice to remind FFG that if they make a product that is sub-optimal we will look elsewhere. I think they are making the best game right now so I'll definitely get that but I will not purchase their mats (I hope they will survive that :rolleyes:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, flightmaster101 said:

You announce a game mat for Runewars and it's 3x3?  For your 3x6 game?

Come on, really?

Yeah...  so the game has different sizes.  3'x3' is the size for small point battles.  3'x6' is the size for large point battles.  Ergo, this is NOT a "3x6 game".  It can be, but isn't always.

I've seen hundreds of games of Armada played on two side by side 3'x3' mats.  I have never, ever heard anyone complain about it impacting game play.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been shopping for a playmat that plays Hot Chocolate's "You Sexy Thing", so frankly I'm much more disappointed than any of you.

But that aside, I bought a sweet 3x3 playmat from a Ganesha Games Kickstarter last year. I'm kicking myself now for not picking up the 6x4 instead.

 

Pic here:

fdf8e12ebb60281e0766b9472f0b1f91_origina

Edited by JasonGlass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...