Sign in to follow this  
rowdyoctopus

Be prepared for a slow, stale meta

It is unfortunate that the expansions aren't even on the boat yet.  Looks like we are gonna have 3-4 months of a straight core set meta.  Hopefully this doesn't deter people from getting into the game.

Ardus and Kari must fight to see who can become ruler of this age!

That's an incredibly negative title...the expansions could pop on the boat any day now and still arrive at the end of may or early june.  Also with the skirmish mode and revealed cards you can get some interesting games in still with a little bit of proxying(i'm suggested proxying? what's wrong with me...) I don't know I feel that this game has a surprising amount to learn to really master your faction so having time focused on the small few will be beneficial in the long run... 

Dude there is plenty to keep us busy in the lab for a few weeks.  We have to find out:

1) how to play

2)the subtle differences in factions

3) All the itterations of each faction

4)and after which you can finally pick what faction you want.

And that's just off the top of my head.  By the time expansions come out we will be ready for more, but there is plenty to experiment with out of the box.  That doesnt even take into account all the experimentation you can do with proxy previews.

3 minutes ago, Tvayumat said:

I'll just be here, sipping my coffee, fondly remembering the days of the Armada core set.

Seriously, this game is so much more complete out of the box. There is nothing to complain about.

Yea can you imagine if Daquan got a rune golem and the undead got archers and infantry.  That would be armada.

Given that I've been drooling over Runewars minis since last August myself, I can totally empathize with the sentiment that waiting a few more months for wave 0 expansions, and another 6-8 months for wave 1 and additional armies feels excrutiating.

I also agree that whatever we learn about the meta game in the next 6-8 months is certain to be dramatically less relevant this time next year.

But that's a reality I'm preparing myself for. My mindset is to temper my enthusiasm, to the best of my ability, until more towards Christmas. It's all the more agonizing because I'm foregoing other game purchases and plans in anticipation of big expenditures on Runewars.

My reanimates held the attention to Kari and Spears for 2 rounds, i never had a C90 or Nebullion B manage to hold a star destroyers attention that long, usually the star destroyer was just like haha you cute pew pew now you are dead, and that was basically the game or armada for the first 2-3 months

19 minutes ago, jek said:

My reanimates held the attention to Kari and Spears for 2 rounds, i never had a C90 or Nebullion B manage to hold a star destroyers attention that long, usually the star destroyer was just like haha you cute pew pew now you are dead, and that was basically the game or armada for the first 2-3 months

You needed better rebel players to play against.  I always held the Vic's attention enough with one ship to flank it with the other and take that bad boy down.

2 minutes ago, flightmaster101 said:

You needed better rebel players to play against.  I always held the Vic's attention enough with one ship to flank it with the other and take that bad boy down.

Indeed, the VSD is famously maneuverable, so long as the maneuver you're looking for is a very slightly curved but mostly straight line.

I think it is pretty early to be calling the meta stale, we haven't even hit the actual release yet, lol.

A stale meta won't deter people, a broken meta will. IA launched with the dreaded 4x4, this was 4 Royal Guards and 4 Officers. This required people to own 4 cores, or buy the Royal Guards/Officers off ebay. It was a poor design flaw that was exploited by the playerbase. If there is a way, they will find it and you really can't blame them. This caused a massive errata and since then the Skirmish game has been very healthy, although I will admit it did take a lot of time to recover.

I am sure they learned from their mistake and we will get a ton of variety in lists once the first wave hits. Until then just breath deeply and enjoy learning how to play the game. This is generally, imo, the most exciting time for a game. Before everything is meta this and meta that, people are stumbling through it together and you could be the first to break ground.

1 hour ago, jek said:

That's an incredibly negative title...the expansions could pop on the boat any day now and still arrive at the end of may or early june.  Also with the skirmish mode and revealed cards you can get some interesting games in still with a little bit of proxying(i'm suggested proxying? what's wrong with me...) I don't know I feel that this game has a surprising amount to learn to really master your faction so having time focused on the small few will be beneficial in the long run... 

I mean they have only been at the printer a couple weeks.  I have no idea how much they can print in a week, but I feel like it will be a few weeks before on the boat happens.

59 minutes ago, flightmaster101 said:

Dude there is plenty to keep us busy in the lab for a few weeks.  We have to find out:

1) how to play

2)the subtle differences in factions

3) All the itterations of each faction

4)and after which you can finally pick what faction you want.

And that's just off the top of my head.  By the time expansions come out we will be ready for more, but there is plenty to experiment with out of the box.  That doesnt even take into account all the experimentation you can do with proxy previews.

I've already got 1, 2, and 4 down.  I have access to 3 core sets worth of figures.  Perhaps I'm premature, but due to economical reasons I've already chosen a faction.

1 hour ago, Tvayumat said:

I'll just be here, sipping my coffee, fondly remembering the days of the Armada core set.

Seriously, this game is so much more complete out of the box. There is nothing to complain about.

As someone that has followed Armada from the moment it was announced, I can definitely say it is better than that was.  It's definitely not a complete game, but both sides having access to 4 unit types goes a loooong way.

14 minutes ago, FrogTrigger said:

I think it is pretty early to be calling the meta stale, we haven't even hit the actual release yet, lol.

A stale meta won't deter people, a broken meta will. IA launched with the dreaded 4x4, this was 4 Royal Guards and 4 Officers. This required people to own 4 cores, or buy the Royal Guards/Officers off ebay. It was a poor design flaw that was exploited by the playerbase. If there is a way, they will find it and you really can't blame them. This caused a massive errata and since then the Skirmish game has been very healthy, although I will admit it did take a lot of time to recover.

I am sure they learned from their mistake and we will get a ton of variety in lists once the first wave hits. Until then just breath deeply and enjoy learning how to play the game. This is generally, imo, the most exciting time for a game. Before everything is meta this and meta that, people are stumbling through it together and you could be the first to break ground.

The biggest limiting factor with core sets only right now is command dials.  I might have 8 trays of reanimates once I trade figures with my friend, but I can only ever field 2 units regardless of configuration until the expansions come out.  Or find more people to borrow from, obviously, but that won't always be possible.

26 minutes ago, flightmaster101 said:

I honestly didn't care enough to get better at the game, played a few times at launch and after, thought it was a cool concept and all but lost interest and sold my stuff pretty quickly. 

22 minutes ago, flightmaster101 said:

Congrats on your early access, but most of us don't have that.  Also until there is a growth in the game community from pre-release to release that in itself will change the meta.  Different people bring different ideas to the game.

As a side note, I don't personally own 3 core sets.  A friend and I got 1 each at Adepticon, and that friend was able to haggle for a second one for himself.

5 minutes ago, jek said:

I honestly didn't care enough to get better at the game, played a few times at launch and after, thought it was a cool concept and all but lost interest and sold my stuff pretty quickly. 

My Armada collection will most likely be funding this game. It'd better not get boring fast. My main concern is that it will essentially be charge, melee until your opponent is dead and not much else. Objectives should help.

I'm reminded of the guy who buys the latest big open world game, downloads at midnight after pre-ordering, plays through the main quest in four hours, and by the time most people have woken up the next day there's a big negative review complaining that the game is too short.

3 minutes ago, Tvayumat said:

I'm reminded of the guy who buys the latest big open world game, downloads at midnight after pre-ordering, plays through the main quest in four hours, and by the time most people have woken up the next day there's a big negative review complaining that the game is too short.

I'm not trying to be negative.  I quite like the game, but with expansions coming out months after the core, things are going to feel stale quickly.  I'm just saying be ready for it.

I still look forward to playing again every single day!

9 minutes ago, Felswrath said:

My Armada collection will most likely be funding this game. It'd better not get boring fast. My main concern is that it will essentially be charge, melee until your opponent is dead and not much else. Objectives should help.

Actually charging is hard, there is a lot of maneuvering shenanigans that will happen and knowing your opponents capabilities will definitely play into the shenanigans.  If the game is just charge and beat stick than you deployed very poorly or you are playing the learning scenarios and everyone just marched straight.

Just now, rowdyoctopus said:

I'm not trying to be negative.  I quite like the game, but with expansions coming out months after the core, things are going to feel stale quickly.  I'm just saying be ready for it.

I still look forward to playing again every single day!

I encourage you to look at the title that you chose for this topic, and then come back and tell me that you aren't being negative.

If that wasn't your intent, you perhaps chose your words poorly.

Imagine you log into this forum, curious about the game, and that's the first sentence you see.