Sign in to follow this  
Irokenics

Painted Sundered Heart CR90 and DP-20 Corellian Gunship

Just finished these. Im not a great painter but thought id share

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6U8sE4tscILZGNTbVQwNmVuekU/view?usp=drivesdk

Ships were from mels miniatures. The texture of the model and i guess even the citadel primer used was really gritty and dry. Gave it a thirsty feel when painting.

After primer i just swathed it with ink wash which it absorbed like a sponge. Decided to just dry brush color on and then detail.

19 hours ago, Lord Ashram said:

Nothing against you, but those are some terribly grainy models:(

Yup they look like they were printed in WSF, rather than FUD.  That's the tradeoff - cost vs. surface quality.

Edited by MajSharpe

On 09/04/2017 at 9:16 PM, Lord Ashram said:

Nothing against you, but those are some terribly grainy models:(

On 10/04/2017 at 4:23 PM, MajSharpe said:

Yup they look like they were printed in WSF, rather than FUD.  That's the tradeoff - cost vs. surface quality.

yeah i did mention the models were gritty. Not sure what i ordered, whatever was the default one!

12 hours ago, Irokenics said:

yeah i did mention the models were gritty. Not sure what i ordered, whatever was the default one!

Definitely WSF then - it's totally serviceable, at tabletop length, but as many others have noted it's very hard to achieve a good paint job as the material is extremely porous, and it doesn't hold the fine details that Mel lavishes us with.  That being said, there's absolutely no reason to shell out for Extreme detail, Ultra is the highest I ever go and it's perfectly good.

There's a few threads here and elsewhere about getting the absolute best out of your WSF minis, but they all involve lots of really fine detail work with filter etc.  As is, you've done a grand job, I had to battle to get my freighters looking even half-decent.