Sign in to follow this  
Kdubb

If the current trend of topics bothers you, let me propose a solution...

Most threads, no matter the topic, offer good discussion. Some suggestions/discussions I see no reason for, but that's okay because I don't expect everyone to want to discuss the same things as I do.

This is fine as long as you are discussing THE GAME OF X-WING. When things start to bother me is when we start seeing threads like "Who else hates x threads?" threads.

So, in a futile attempt to get rid of these sort of topics, I am posting one such thread myself. :rolleyes: But hopefully this helps alleviate the issue.

Seriously, if you have an issue with threads that seem to be reoccurring or are overrunning the front page, and you are getting so bothered by it to the point you are considering posting a pointless "aaawww shucks! People are talking about things I don't want to! Who else doesn't like what they are talking about?" thread, I am here to tell you that THERE IS A BETTER WAY.

Here are 3 steps to assure that threads that bother you, don't bother you as much-

Step 1- Don't reply to those threads

Step 2- Go back 5, maybe 10 pages, and begin replying to topics you think where discussion ended prematurely while working your way back towards the front page. Now after you reply to those topics, they appear on the front page! (Maybe don't necro threads that are more than 3 months old though, lol.)

Step 3- If there isn't anything there that you want to talk about, post a thread that is discussing the part of the game that you DO want to talk about.

Simple, easy way to get the discussion you want to be having back without filling the boards with useless content.

Just now, SabineKey said:

Sooooo....is this now the "git gud" argument for dealing with nerf threads?

I don't mean to derail what you are saying. You make good points. Just thought of this and had to roll with it.

I guess you could say that. If you don't like the current trend of topics, create a topic of your own that creates a more intriguing discussion than is currently being had in other threads, or revive a topic with an interesting/intriguing reply to get the discussion going again.

Also, you can always just flood the front page with topics that have fallen off the front page by posting simple replies to get them back on the front page which in turn moves the current top threads further down the list until they move to the 2nd page... Where they will die... Buuuut I would never suggest that. :lol:

9 minutes ago, Kdubb said:

I guess you could say that. If you don't like the current trend of topics, create a topic of your own that creates a more intriguing discussion than is currently being had in other threads, or revive a topic with an interesting/intriguing reply to get the discussion going again.

Also, you can always just flood the front page with topics that have fallen off the front page by posting simple replies to get them back on the front page which in turn moves the current top threads further down the list until they move to the 2nd page... Where they will die... Buuuut I would never suggest that. :lol:

Sooo, an undead army to over take the living?

7 minutes ago, StevenO said:

Just start reporting all of those threads that are just repeating another thread.  Do we need ANOTHER "let's nerf TLT" thread?  Just report them as the trolls they often are.

I'll show them, I'll go troll the X-WING MINIATURE FORUM with a generally agreed upon (if misguided) idea about a certain upgrade being too powerful... Yeah... I'll show em all...

The dissent I will sow will be LEGENDARY!

Well, @StevenO has a point. Even if they aren't deliberately trolling, clickbait-y, loaded topics like "If we burn every copy of Veteran Instincts, will god be in his heaven and all be right in the world again?" which only have stuff like "will it?" in the first post aren't actually discussing something new (this is a hypothetical, exaggerated example, but I have seen actual topics like this). If you wish to discuss a particular upgrade card or whatever and various nerf/buff/ban effects it's generally considered common internet courtesy to double-check if say, somebody has posted such a thread in the past 24 hours, or perhaps there's one that's been ongoing over the past couple days and is still "HOT" with lots of replies. Re-churning the same topics right after another also does **** all to actually foster discussion of the game of X-Wing, people just regurgitate the same opinions they had last time - unless there are genuine new developments to change opinions. The horse is dead. Do not try to ride the skeleton horse, or construct a eerily lifelike replica wooden horse for people to fight over. Let the horse rot away, and then when the time is right, you'll have grown a whole new live horse people can go back to beating. 

As much as I also do not like starting with "I'm bothered because other people are bothered" logic (Because that's all the same thing, it's just a giant chain of bother), the OP also has a point, y'know, be the change you want to see and similarly, the above also stands for "Guys are we complaining about everything again?" threads. If you want to remark on the current tone that it's the time of month where people are complainy again, that's all well and good you've got as much right to speak about how people are choosing to discuss X-Wing, but the zombie horse rule applies. Let sleeping horses lie.