Sign in to follow this  
FrogTrigger

Jawa Preview article

Figured we should bring this out of the other thread for discussion.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/4/4/utinni/

swi42_spread_final-good.pngswi-jawa-scavenger.pngswi42_diagram_2.pngswi42-utinni.pngswi42-focused-on-the-kill.pngswi42-navigation-upgrade.png

and who wouldn't be curious to see what you could do with C-3PO in your army to focus IG-88 and your elite Probe Droids ?

Why would you focus IG-88 if the new fix focuses him before every attack?

Notably, there's more for your skirmish games in the Jawa Scavenger Villain Pack than just its Jawa. The pack also introduces a new skirmish upgrade specific to IG-88 that makes the assassin droid even deadlier.

You mean makes him actually useful, lol.

Ok so upon closer inspection, the mission rewards the card (very poorly worded in the article) it is an attachment that gives +1 speed and lowers the deployment cost of that group by what looks like 3. Very cool card. Edit: Actually that might be -1 speed? That makes more sense.. because the Elite Jawa is adding +1 speed.. so its sacrificing that speed for a reduced deployment cost you can re use every time the droid gets blown up. That added +1 speed and accuracy is pretty OP, especially if you stack it with another one. 

The other command card is Triangulate: Which basically says that you use a special action to pick a figure in LOS, that figure suffers damage equal to the number of friendly droids with LOS to a maximum of 3. Pretty good card for 2 cost. So that means we now know what all 3 of those cards are.

Edited by FrogTrigger

I don't know if we know what the Reward is, but it is certainly the card that brings droids additional accuracy and (perhaps more importantly) speed.  Jawas aren't unique, so you can play them whenever.

10 minutes ago, FrogTrigger said:

Why would you focus IG-88 if the new fix focuses him before every attack?

If you're using IG-88 in an Imperial list, you can't bring over IG-88's Scum-only attachment.

3 minutes ago, cnemmick said:

If you're using IG-88 in an Imperial list, you can't bring over IG-88's Scum-only attachment.

But how are you going to get C3P0 into the Imperial army to focus him? Unless you can bring the Jawa into the Imperial army and then use him to bring C3P0 and R2D2? So that means those droids and/or Chopper would be fighting for the Imperials?

Edited by FrogTrigger

Just now, FrogTrigger said:

But how are you going to get C3P0 into the Imperial army to focus him?

The Jawa's ability to bring in 3 droids from any affiliation... although I guess you can bring in IG-88 and C3P0 with the Jawa.

1. What is the limit for the campaign with these? One regular and one elite?

2. I am under the impression that you can only bring three droids if your faction is mercenary. This, you can have and imperial list with temporary alliance to bring an elite Jawa to then bring rebel droids. Correct?

For the campaign you usually get to use the deployment cards in one pack (regular and elite), i.e. two packs worth of figures.

You can bring elite Jawa into Imperial Army with Temporary Alliance, but then the Jawa's ability would not bring any droids, because the army would be imperial and not mercenary.

Edited by a1bert

10 minutes ago, a1bert said:

I thought it was two, and only into a mercenary army. (Better listen more carefully.)

From the Jawa Preview article:

In the skirmish game, the elite Jawa Scavenger allows you to bolster your army with up to three Droid groups from any affiliation. You can even field reprogrammed Imperial and Rebel droids side-by-side, and who wouldn't be curious to see what you could do with C-3PO in your army to focus IG-88 and your elite Probe Droids ?

It doesn't say if Jawas can't be brought into Imperial and Rebel lists...

Edited by cnemmick
Multiple Jawas, not possessive Jawa

That is what we are trying to figure out, I think it is pretty stupid if C3P0 and Chopper end up fighting for Vader in an Imperial list. There should still be some thematics involved even if it is just skirmish.

It's like the person who wrote this article has never played IA. Like it talks about Probe Droids sniping around corners to duck back into safety because of its added movement speed, then shows an elite moving less spaces than it normally would have even without the buff. Then it talks about using IG-88 to to snipe the most powerful opponents, and shows Gaarkhan hah. I know I know I am nitpicking but still..

4 minutes ago, cnemmick said:

From the Jawa Preview article:

It doesn't say if Jawa's can't be brought into Imperial and Rebel lists...

I just wasn't clear on which post I was answering. You can bring elite Jawa into Imperial Army with Temporary Alliance, but then the Jawa's ability would not allow to bring any droids of non-imperial affiliations, because the army would be imperial and not mercenary.

Edited by a1bert

21 minutes ago, FrogTrigger said:

Overall I think that is a pretty potent pack, you get a lot for the value.  But I still think they could have thrown two in there.

I normally don't have many complaints about FFG business practices (they've got to make their money, after all, so that they can keep releasing awesome games!) but I'm in full agreement with you here.  That "Utinni!" command card is the worst offender IMO - it's not at all worth taking if you've got a single Jawa in your list but if you've got a bunch it could be potent.  Are they really expecting people to buy 5 or 6 copies of this pack?

Plus a group of Jawas just seems to fit better thematically.

3 minutes ago, Hawkman2000 said:

Probably a dumb question but in order to use the Take Cover ability do you have to have a Dodge showing on the die? 

You don't!  So you're guaranteed to not roll a complete blank with the Jawa.

(I'm assuming that it works this way anyway, based on some of the cards in Jabba's Realm that add damage to an attack roll at the cost of surges)

1 minute ago, a1bert said:

I just wasn't clear which post I was answering. You can bring elite Jawa into Imperial Army with Temporary Alliance, but then the Jawa's ability would not allow to bring any droids of non-imperial affiliations, because the army would be imperial and not mercenary.

That Jawas can't bring in droids into Imperial and Rebel lists may be true. But they also said in the video that the # of droids brought in were limited to 2, and we've never *officially* seen the Elite Skirmish card yet. 

Even if Jawas can only bring Droids into Scum lists, I'm very excited to have them as an option!

I thought it was 2 as well (Zach's voice wasn't that clear), but then they talked about 3 and being able to bring in 6 droids total with two elite Jawas.. So.. We'll see.

Edited by a1bert

18 minutes ago, Hawkman2000 said:

Probably a dumb question but in order to use the Take Cover ability do you have to have a Dodge showing on the die? 

No. If you apply +1 block, you also apply -1 evade. If you don't have an evade, then -1 evade does nothing.

Why would you use it if you have a dodge?

Edited by a1bert

22 minutes ago, cnemmick said:

That Jawas can't bring in droids into Imperial and Rebel lists may be true. But they also said in the video that the # of droids brought in were limited to 2, and we've never *officially* seen the Elite Skirmish card yet. 

It is true, in the TC video, Zach reads the card specifying it adds droids to your merc list, so no imperials. He says: "If your army affiliation is mercenary you may include up to 3 droids groups from any other affiliation in your army"

And adding to that, merc finally gets a 2-point filler, something that they really are lacking and could be good to have.

Edited by Mantis731

42 minutes ago, FrogTrigger said:

That is what we are trying to figure out, I think it is pretty stupid if C3P0 and Chopper end up fighting for Vader in an Imperial list. There should still be some thematics involved even if it is just skirmish.

Yes, this! What will be next? Some sort of fan fiction that Darth Vader actually made one or more of them!?! :D

27 minutes ago, a1bert said:

No. If you apply +1 block, you also apply -1 evade. If you don't have an evade, then -1 evade does nothing.

Why would you use it if you have a dodge?

That's what I don't quite get. If I have a Dogde showing, I would use it. I can't think of instances where I would want to add a Block rather than just outright Dodge. 

6 minutes ago, Hawkman2000 said:

That's what I don't quite get. If I have a Dogde showing, I would use it. I can't think of instances where I would want to add a Block rather than just outright Dodge. 

I think you're confusing Dodge and Evade.