KenBenobi

Jedha after Rogue One

Hi,

Before I go on, this post contains information about Rogue One plot points so if you've not seen it yet read no further. Otherwise...

I was halfway through writing the next chapter in my EotE campaign, a story about tge force-sensitive member of the crew of the 'Good Omens' attempting to track down a long lost Force user. I had invented a location in Wild Space - a lost Jedi outpost - but then i saw Rogue One. Jedha is such a rich location. I really want to include it in my campaign. I wondered if anyone had any thoughts (or information) about what the moon is like post-Rogue One (my campaign is set 1ABY)? Obviously the city and catacombs along with everyone in them are gone, but would there be locations elsewhere on the moon still intact?

Just now, 2P51 said:

Likely, but it would be a toxic F-ed up environment, which is ok, adds a level of challenge to whatever your PCs are doing.

Yes i had this image of ash/sandstorms engulfing the moon, and PCs having to brave this to locate a lost Jedi site on the far side of the moon from the "accident site". 

I do not think it would be uninhabitable.  We are talking about a near cataclysmic event that wiped for what we know to be the main city of the planet and anything near it.  Sending ejecta up into the upper atmosphere.

Constant sandstorms, nuclear winter, Electromatic interferance in the atmosphere, raging storms. 

But to be honest, not many would know before going there what happened to the moon.  and players could easily say "This cannot be the right place" and "I have a bad feeling about this"

Obviously at minimum there should be an enormous crater where that one mesa used to be; but beyond that, it should be however you think it should be to make it an entertaining locale.  If your players are major sticklers for scientific realism; I would question why they're playing in a cinematic universe which features plasma swords, 30m-tall primates, and ships which behave the same in space as they do in atmosphere.

One thing that comes to mind is that kyber crystals might be even easier to find in 'the zone' given the geographical churn - a sizeable black market may have started up in digging them out- esp any big ones! 

Edited by Ogrebear

The Empire only took out Jedha City with the DS... to me, in Rogue One, it looks like it resulted in a massive volcanic eruption. I reckon the Empire would lock the planet down.. very little allowed on or off. You never know if there could be other khyber deposits on the planet... maybe for DS II in RotJ.  Dunno, it's YOUR campaign

Well, it depends on what kind of environmental effects and other conditions you think would be most fun.  The planet could have "realistically" experienced extreme heating or cooling- considering what people were wearing, it appears to have already been relatively cool.  So.  The superlaser vaporises some soil and rock, maybe an aquifer or two, resulting vapor explosion injects a lot of soot and dust into the atmosphere and cools the planet down even more.  If there's enough ambient moisture for precipitation, maybe you'll get some black snow/rain.  If the climate heats up instead, maybe there's a lot of evaporation and glacial melt.  Maybe a cloudier, rainier, muddier Jeddah would be fun.  Either way, it's likely that the PCs could find plenty of fun things to look at.  Jeddah couldn't have been the only site of archaeological significance.  As far as what the Empire's doing- anything they left there as good as abandoned.  It's likely they'd be actively monitoring the planet and keeping tabs on who's coming or going.  Since it's a bit of a backwater, it's unlikely that they'd keep many resources in-system.  A couple star destroyers may only be a few days' trip away, though.  Always a good way to drop a hint to your players that they'd better have a solid plan to get in, do what they need, and get out.

My campaign is set a few years before Rogue One, but I would go absolutely wild with the environment. Of course anything I am about to say will be absolutely no where near scientific.

I would have the beam reach much further into the surface, even possible to the core, perhaps all the atmosphere is gone from the event and what's left over is a 1/4 of Jedha is a asteroid field starting from the surface, going into space. Now with sporadic meteor impacts all over Jedha. Talk about having a hell of an environment to explore, ruins up in space, the surface only traversable by those in space suits now. 

On 4/4/2017 at 9:18 AM, Flintlock Jazz said:

Looked like they blew up more than just the city, they took out Saw's hideout that appeared to be quite some distance from the city and the view from orbit was showed an area too large to be just the city.

In the 'we rarely make use of spacesuits' tradition of Star Wars, I think that after the catastrophic 'mining accident' that destroyed NaJedha and the surrounding environs, the planet is now plagued by terrible sandstorms and violent electromagnetic activity. It is impossible to get near the site of the old city the environmental conditions are so bad. So when my players turn up to locate a lost Jedi site on the far side of the moon from where the city was, they'll struggle through almost zero visibility wearing goggles and respirators, trying to find an ancient citadel...

Hi,

I'm finally writing this adventure. The players will be taking refugees from Jedha back to the moon to find something at an isolated holy site far from the ruins of the Holy City. 

I've been given some great ideas for what the physical environment on Jedha is like post Rogue One, but I wondered... what is the state of the star system after Rogue One? Would the Empire quarantine the moon following the "mining accident" or would it become a hotspot for scavengers and treasure hunters, picking over the ruins, hoping to find something of worth? Or would the Empire still be there with scavengers sneaking in?

What do people think?

5 minutes ago, lupex said:

It seems that Luke and gang will be travelling to Jedha post RO in an upcoming comic.

Thanks! Is this in the monthly Marvel Star Wars comic do you know? Might have to hang on and see what they show... ?

I doubt the Empire would hang around after, I would think they stripped the valuables and moved on.

Personally, I would write it as a darkened sky with all the dust having not settled, and near constant dust storms. Probably colder as well with the sun being blocked out.  A few survival (navigation) checks,  resilience checks, and some re-breathers.   Additionally I always thought the idea that the empire was simply stripping the temple of all its kyber crystals would not be enough.  I always envisioned that there was a kyber crystal mine underneath the temple, so I'd write it that way.  The pc's find within the crater a mine that further down leads to some ruins.  Maybe find a holocron or ancient jedi/sith artifact that helps track down that long lost Force user (holocrons are good at that sort of thing). Additionally if the force sensitive is eventually going to build a lightsaber its a great place to have them pick up a crystal even though they wont be able to use it yet; but it will definitely get them excited.

I'm really liking these ideas and if I get into F&D I will definitely be using this Jedha scenario.

7 hours ago, ThreeAM said:

I'm really liking these ideas and if I get into F&D I will definitely be using this Jedha scenario.

I'll share my adventure once written if you like - although I am going to explore other locations on the moon rather than the crater where the Holy City used to be. I was going to have the players hired by a religious organisation of Force-Worshippers to go to another site on the moon - an abandoned monastery type place, or other catacombs that survived the destruction wrought by the Death Star.