Sir Orrin

Reinforce? really?

On 4/1/2017 at 8:33 PM, Sir Orrin said:

Is anyone else kind of annoyed that the wookie gunship is going to have the reinforce action? I didn't think coordinate on the Upsilon was bad at all, I think it fits. But reinforce, on a small base ship? Why not on the Ghost? the Decimator? Ships that are almost huge ships in their own right. I feel like the Wookie gunship could have had something else, reinforce just seems out-of place... :unsure:

Your thoughts?

-Orrin

Just wait.

Imperials got coordinate in wave10 (theme! Well coordinated warmachine!)

Rebels will get reinforce in wave11 (theme - badly outnumbered - do whatever they can to provent loosing manpower/equipment)

Scums will get JAM action in wave 12 - thematically - dirty trick to jam communication, easier to do a pirating raid on merchant ships etc.

I really hope Scum don't get Jam as written on Epic ships.  An action to assign stress is the last thing this game needs.  Unless it shuts off your weapons for a round, then just maybe.

I'm quite happy with Reinforce, and by and large I'd be pretty happy to see a mod that allowed it on 1 or 0 agi ships' action bars.

Even the K Wing.  Because if it has that putative mod, it's NOT USING ASLAM.  And it's not taking offensive actions or dropping action bombs.  I'd far prefer to see a K Wing which cared about where its arc was and wasn't dropping bombs, so bring on the Reinforce mod.

The one real difficulty with it is Big Rey though.  Reinforce in her front arc would just be a pile of misery.

1 minute ago, thespaceinvader said:

I really hope Scum don't get Jam as written on Epic ships.  An action to assign stress is the last thing this game needs.  Unless it shuts off your weapons for a round, then just maybe.

I'm quite happy with Reinforce, and by and large I'd be pretty happy to see a mod that allowed it on 1 or 0 agi ships' action bars.

Even the K Wing.  Because if it has that putative mod, it's NOT USING ASLAM.  And it's not taking offensive actions or dropping action bombs.  I'd far prefer to see a K Wing which cared about where its arc was and wasn't dropping bombs, so bring on the Reinforce mod.

The one real difficulty with it is Big Rey though.  Reinforce in her front arc would just be a pile of misery.

I'm guesing they could just make it a weaker -  "put 1 stress token on an unstressed ship".

I'm assuming they would make it weaker - but even then I'm not sure the game needs an unlimited and guaranteed way of putting stress on ships as an action.  Maybe with a very short range (range 1) or with an arc requirement or with a penalty for the ship using it.  Or all 3.

But the idea doesn't fill me with glee.

While as mesmerizing as generic mod saying "0 agi ship only. Your action bar get reinforce action" is. That would be so uber broken on kanan that im even terrified to think :D Deci..maybe less but still it would be nice.

17 minutes ago, Vitalis said:

While as mesmerizing as generic mod saying "0 agi ship only. Your action bar get reinforce action" is. That would be so uber broken on kanan that im even terrified to think :D Deci..maybe less but still it would be nice.

If you're reinforcing you're not getting focus tokens...

29 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

If you're reinforcing you're not getting focus tokens...

You definitely arem just need Ashoka to give you free action (and you have just enough points to get her).

And if you're getting Ahsoka you're not getting Biggs or you're not getting the shuttle, and people can focus fire on you much more effectively.  Knocking off two hits per attack is painful, but much more manageable in that context.

You're also not getting your combat-phase boost to control range on Fenn...

This is why I feel that Reinforce would be pretty balanced overall to give to most 0 or 1 agi ships (aside from Rey, basically).  Because it costs an action, and every single competitive ship in the entire game except maybe Bossk... already has good uses for its actions.

Giving other options... just gives other options.  It doesn't enhance the already-available ones.

As noted, the MAJOR exception would be Rey, for whom the action is an afterthought a lot of the time except if you manage to be arc dodged.  And maybe Norra with C3PO.

On 01/04/2017 at 3:33 PM, Sir Orrin said:

Is anyone else kind of annoyed that the wookie gunship is going to have the reinforce action? I didn't think coordinate on the Upsilon was bad at all, I think it fits. But reinforce, on a small base ship? Why not on the Ghost? the Decimator? Ships that are almost huge ships in their own right. I feel like the Wookie gunship could have had something else, reinforce just seems out-of place... :unsure:

Your thoughts?

-Orrin

Reinforce on a Decimator?  I... um... why didn't I think of that?  That's genius!  It makes perfect sense with Oicunn considering how recklessly he pilots.  Maybe it should be a modification so that it prevents the use of an engine upgrade.

I'm slightly worried about the Ghost because of Kanan (pilot) could survive for a very, very long time.  Either way, I think this is an idea worth exploring.

Just wait.

Imperials got coordinate in wave10 (theme! Well coordinated warmachine!)

Rebels will get reinforce in wave11 (theme - badly outnumbered - do whatever they can to provent loosing manpower/equipment)

Scums will get JAM action in wave 12 - thematically - dirty trick to jam communication, easier to do a pirating raid on merchant ships etc.

Yeah, this is my main bummer.  If all the design team is going to do is move abilities around, then innovation in the game is dead.  It has definitely been put on hold for Wave 11, IMHO.

And I agree with Orrin; I would have less trouble with Reinforce being ported over to a large base ship than a starfighter.

I would just like to see more things stay unique to one faction.  Kinda burned that we get things that exclude just the Imperials now.. but overall I don't want faction to just be paint job... Imperials, Scum, and Rebels all need to feel different as you play them.  I'm a little worried that we'll go down the "everybody can do everything" path soon.  Here's hoping they don't.  While I like the Reinforce action (and really like it for Assault Gunboats), I won't mind if it stays a Rebel only thing.  Imperials could use a few more top tier and exclusive things... while Scum is done for the next decade since they already have mindlink.

On 4/1/2017 at 1:23 PM, Sir Orrin said:

Would make more sense on the Gunboat, then a ship made out of wood...

On 4/1/2017 at 5:27 PM, Phoenix5454 said:

I think, the reason that FFG is introducing the reinforce action into standard play through the wookie gun ship is that according to the wookiepedia article it was made out of some super strong wood...whatever lol

Guys. Read the article. The interiors are made of wood. It is no more a wooden ship than a jag is a wooden car. 

12 hours ago, Sekac said:

Guys. Read the article. The interiors are made of wood. It is no more a wooden ship than a jag is a wooden car. 

"The interiors were made from wroshyr trees, with sap serving as glue" 

article says nothing about metal being used on the ship only wood so at best it's a wood craft with metal panels on the outside. Doesn't really matter tho ...

Because it's a space canoe full of angry walking carpets with blasters!

24 minutes ago, Phoenix5454 said:

"The interiors were made from wroshyr trees, with sap serving as glue" 

article says nothing about metal being used on the ship only wood so at best it's a wood craft with metal panels on the outside. Doesn't really matter tho ...

Because it's a space canoe full of angry walking carpets with blasters!

So if a car has leather interiors, it is correct to assume the car is made out of leather, only with fiber glass panels attached?

17 minutes ago, Sekac said:

So if a car has leather interiors, it is correct to assume the car is made out of leather, only with fiber glass panels attached?

That's a car. This is a space canoe!

Anyways I think your missing the point of my original post. Whether its the outside inside w/e it has some strong Wookie wood (ha) in it and hence FFG made the connection that reinforce makes sense here. All I care about is if this action jump from epic to standard will trickle down to other 1 agility or lower ships through some kind of upgrade card.

Edited by Phoenix5454

If you want to run with the wooden ship gag, that's cool with me. Like people did with the "mango cannon". I just wish people wouldn't reference an article that doesn't support the joke.  

Jokes don't need bibliographies to be funny. 

8 minutes ago, Sekac said:

If you want to run with the wooden ship gag, that's cool with me. Like people did with the "mango cannon". I just wish people wouldn't reference an article that doesn't support the joke.  

Jokes don't need bibliographies to be funny. 

It's not a gag. The wroshyr tree is supposed to be stronger than metal in the Star Wars universe. I'm not down playing the ship because it's made of wood (or has wood interiors w/e) just trying to find a reason someone at FFG decided this was the ship that will bring reinforce into standard play.

I myself will buy 1 or 2 space canoes when they come out depending on the unique pilots abilities. Also space canoe is easier to remember / spell than Auzituck

Edited by Phoenix5454

On 03/04/2017 at 0:52 PM, thespaceinvader said:

Stress is not as debilitating as it used to be. There are a number of stress-dealing options as it is.

An important thing to remember is that Jam in Epic happens during the Huge Ship phase. Therefore you cannot interfere with fighter actions this round.

1 hour ago, Phoenix5454 said:

It's not a gag. The wroshyr tree is supposed to be stronger than metal in the Star Wars universe. I'm not down playing the ship because it's made of wood (or has wood interiors w/e) just trying to find a reason someone at FFG decided this was the ship that will bring reinforce into standard play.

I myself will buy 1 or 2 space canoes when they come out depending on the unique pilots abilities. Also space canoe is easier to remember / spell than Auzituck

Cork is used in modern atmospheric entry heatshields.

The A-Wing was also partly built of wood.

Edited by Lampyridae

1 minute ago, Lampyridae said:

Stress is not as debilitating as it used to be. There are a number of stress-dealing options as it is.

An important thing to remember is that Jam in Epic happens during the Huge Ship phase. Therefore you cannot interfere with fighter actions this round.

So, for it's inclusion in the standard play, would it be added in the end phase, you think?

Just now, SabineKey said:

So, for it's inclusion in the standard play, would it be added in the end phase, you think?

Perhaps end of the activation phase / start of combat.
Reinforce was altered, so no reason Jam shouldn't be. Coordinate is not as powerful due to this as well. 

On 4/2/2017 at 4:51 AM, Kingsguard said:

I think evades are weird to begin with. They are effectively armor for ships that should be surviving by evading fire. For once we have a ship that is supposed to have armor that actually does have armor.

A wooden ship is supposed to have armor, but this massive plated Decimator isn't it?