Jump to content
Sir Orrin

Reinforce? really?

Recommended Posts

Is anyone else kind of annoyed that the wookie gunship is going to have the reinforce action? I didn't think coordinate on the Upsilon was bad at all, I think it fits. But reinforce, on a small base ship? Why not on the Ghost? the Decimator? Ships that are almost huge ships in their own right. I feel like the Wookie gunship could have had something else, reinforce just seems out-of place... :unsure:

Your thoughts?

 

-Orrin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep.  Feels like recycling and stealing from Epic, which doesn't get near enough love in the first place.  Now tournament ships are going to appropriate all the special abilities of Epic ships, leaving Epic play even more vanilla.  And I agree that a small base ship seems "out-of-scale" for the ability.

I like your idea that Large ships with 0 AGI should be ones eligible for reinforce.

As for giving it to X-Wing and Y-Wings because of movie dialogue: game play >>>>> fluff.

Edited by Darth Meanie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sir Orrin said:

Is anyone else kind of annoyed that the wookie gunship is going to have the reinforce action? I didn't think coordinate on the Upsilon was bad at all, I think it fits. But reinforce, on a small base ship? Why not on the Ghost? the Decimator? Ships that are almost huge ships in their own right. I feel like the Wookie gunship could have had something else, reinforce just seems out-of place... :unsure:

Your thoughts?

 

-Orrin

star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-13175.jp


"Switch your deflector shields on -- double front!"

I'd say it's about time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it was a way to give a new ship a different flavor, therefore in my eyes forgiveable. Wookiees are suppose to be good engineers who make their stuff to be rugged and last. 

Now, I do think it would be cool to give most ships with shields a Reinforce like action that works out of their front arc as long as they have shields.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Lampyridae said:

star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-13175.jp


"Switch your deflector shields on -- double front!"

I'd say it's about time.

But why does only this one ship have "thematic" shield delfectors? Also, I don't have a problem with a shield, mechanic, I'm just sort of bummed they took something unique to epic ships, I thought of the reinforce action as a "Divert all power to the foreward shields" kind of thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree that the reinforce action would be great on the ghost would like to see a new upgrade that any 1 agility large ship can take it but that brings up the problem of the lines not on the ship base, but come on any monkey in a flight suit can draw a line down the middle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Sasajak said:

@Sir Orrin I'm not annoyed at all.  I think it's great the actions I love in Epic are being percolated down to normal play.  It should of course be on 0 agility ships like the Ghost and Deci.  I can't wait until they find a way to translate the Recover and Jam actions to normal play.

The only reason I don't like it is that I feel like Jamming comms, Reinforcing shields, Mass regeneration of shields, etc, seemed like huge abilites that these huge ships were capable of doing. That's what makes them stand out. Not even rebel regen lists can regen 4+ shields, but the Gozanti can because it's a massive ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This would be a nice XWing only ability (after it was given to the Assault Gunboat and Slave I too... So XWing, Assault Gunboat, Firespray only). 

Still irked that PRS is not given to the Imperials... What on earth brought that on?  Are they freaked Soontir might get it?

Edited by Lobokai

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GrimmyV said:

Please give reinforce to Hounds Tooth.  Jabba will appreciate it.

 

also rogue squadron title that gives fore reinforce tokens.  Jousting is back baby!

Like I said earlier, Reinforce would make more sense on those large ships that are almost epic ships.
Decimator

Hounds tooth

Ghost

Upsilon

I just fail to see the reasoning of putting reinforce on a small small-base ship. It's not even an thematically beefy ship, like a Defender.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

Yep.  Feels like recycling and stealing from Epic, which doesn't get near enough love in the first place.  Now tournament ships are going to appropriate all the special abilities of Epic ships, leaving Epic play even more vanilla.  And I agree that a small base ship seems "out-of-scale" for the ability.

I like your idea that Large ships with 0 AGI should be ones eligible for reinforce.

As for giving it to X-Wing and Y-Wings because of movie dialogue: game play >>>>> fluff.

You need to play more of the old pc games when Lucasarts was still a games studio and not just a glorified sfx peddler, it was grounded in far more than just movie dialogue and every ship with shields had the option........ although i do agree with the gameplay >>>> fluff when we don't have multiple shield zone to play with as the trade off was you lost protection elsewhere

 

As for large ships, now it's out there it really feels like there should be a large ship only mod card that adds it

Edited by Ralgon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Lobokai said:

This would be a nice XWing only ability (after it was given to the Assault Gunboat and Slave I too... So XWing, Assault Gunboat, Firespray only). 

Still irked that PRS is not given to the Imperials... What on earth brought that on?  Are they freaked Soontir might get it?

Omega leader. Also the new avengers but mostly regen for omega leader.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think, the reason that FFG is introducing the reinforce action into standard play through the wookie gun ship is that according to the wookiepedia article it was made out of some super strong wood...whatever lol

ANYWAYS:

I think this is good for the game because I foresee this becoming a modification that adds the reinforce action to ships with an agility value of 1 or lower. I think a similar modification should be added to the game that allows ships to have the coordinate action if they have 2 or more crew slots. Adds flavor and variety in a way that ships with low agility and crew slots can benefit from.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AdamGATX105 said:

Agree that the reinforce action would be great on the ghost would like to see a new upgrade that any 1 agility large ship can take it but that brings up the problem of the lines not on the ship base, but come on any monkey in a flight suit can draw a line down the middle

I think in this case they would just use the primary firing arc to designate the fore and anything outside of arc to be considered aft. Technically thats not right but its the easiest way to implement the reinforce action to other small and large ships. This would also give the wookie ship a distinct advantage over an upgrade card that does the same thing because its fore reinforce is the whole front half of its base.

Edited by Phoenix5454

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the idea of reinforce being "angling the deflector shields," so I don't like the wookiee ship having it and wish it were a mechanic from the long ago that were already part of the game. I would wish there were a difference between amount of damage that you're capable of inflicting being synonymous with how accurate you are at shooting (i.e. 4 dice is a BIG gun but it's also an accurate gun) but I know that would further complicate the rules.

Going to house-rule it and see if it spices things up enough when flying casual though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, DarthEnderX said:

A basic shield reinforcement mechanic should have been in the game all along.

Much like Miranda's special ability, it's weird that such a fundamental mechanic of starships in Star Wars is being implemented on such a narrow scale.

As mentioned above, with shields being represented by a single token as opposed to multiple zones it's hard to convey the complexity of such a system without it being broken on some ships. It's really an idea best left to epic and armada....

 

Edited by Ralgon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2017 at 3:53 PM, GrimmyV said:

Please give reinforce to Hounds Tooth.  Jabba will appreciate it.

 

also rogue squadron title that gives fore reinforce tokens.  Jousting is back baby!

Well again there is all the diffrent firing arc configurations that sort of mixes the way reinforce works.

  • You got Standard firing arcs, which could be in arc (front side only) and out of arc (the other 3 sides).
  • You got PWT which for the most part acts like standard arc. But this would be more broken as not only can you attack when out of arc but you can cover 3 sides. Arc dodger would set their TIE interceptor models on fire if the YT-1300/2400 or K-wing got a reinforce action. VT=49 Decimator, not so much but there will be more complaining on the forums.
  • Rear aux arcs have quadrants, but if it was strictly in arc or out of arc then it will have a weird shape where it's sides are covered of its front and back covered.
  • Mobile Firing arcs get the most confusing. But some how depending on what direction your mobile arc is facing you can cover 1 side, 2 sides, or 3 sides.
Edited by Marinealver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Ralgon said:

As mentioned above, with shields being represented by a single token as opposed to multiple zones it's hard to convey the complexity of such a system without it being broken on some ships. It's really an idea best left to epic and armada...

As has also been mentioned, it's something that should have been in the game all along and would have been easy to implement...if it had been done at the beginning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...