Sign in to follow this  
Hystarr

Just getting started.

Going to start painting my squadrons.  Any tips for cleaning the figures prior to painting?  Always thought I heard that the plastic needed a degreaser wash to allow the paint to adhere better.  If this is the case what do you guys use?  Looking for best bang for buck, perhaps from Walmart....

My background is typically using sharpies, but I've started dabbling in paint. So YMMV...

I'll usually give the minis a once over with a blade for any excess mold lines, then I'll clean with rubbing alcohol and a paper towel to take any oils from my hands off. The squads are typically only as bad as your hands are oily.

I just washed my squadrons with dish soap before priming and painting. Word is that simple green is the go to if you want to strip paint but you don't need anything "special" for squadrons out of the pack/box. 

Its an old modelling go to.

Resin.  Plastic.  Metal.  Tin.

Doesn't matter what the model is. Before you paint it, you wash it.

Soap and Warm Water is all you need.  You wash it, maybe scrub it if it feels (or looks) greasy in any way.  Rinse thoroughly.  Air Dry.

90% of paint adherence problems is because someone did not do this, and they fell afoul of mold release agent working as a paint release agent.

It also removes the oils from handling from fingers, which in certain models and paints, can also be a barrier.  In older models, it removes dust and other particulates that settles in recesses and can cause clumping while paint is being spread over the  model.

ALWAYS
WAS
H
YOUR
MODELS
BEFORE
PAINTING

I will also count:  This is generally considered specific to Acrylic painting.

Enamels and other oil based paints where Turpentine is a thinner is generally far more tolerant of a little mold release agent.    Although they are less tolerant of particulates.

Those who indulge in "Sharpie Painting" are also similarily going to have an easier time when washed, but not find it as necessary - as the very medium of alcohol based pigments in Sharpies another Permanent ink pens tends to act as a dissolving agent for most mold releases anyway.

Its still a "best practice".  And I advocate it all the time.  

Attach the model to a Touch-Free System (Paint stick, etc).  Wash it.  Rinse it.  Dry it.  Don't touch it until you've sealed it.

On 31/03/2017 at 11:58 PM, Hystarr said:

When using acrylic paint, best sealer to use would be?

best sealer will be one easily found near your place... I have used humbrol mat varnish n°49 for 20 years on historical metal minis; but changed to Prince August Acrylic Polyurethane Mat PP0211 when going for plastic, was afraid that white spirit thinner would destroy the mini. I lost a 40k Tau Piranha this way once, went from finished mini to fused plastic almost flat disc in a week.

very bad surprise.....

Edited by gounour