gamblertuba

What would it take to bring the Firespray out on the table more?

One of the major problems the Firespray suffers from is that it's titles are synergistic, but mutually exclusive. Getting around that would let Emon be the bomber he was meant to be. Here's how I'd fix it:

Title. Indenture. Firespray-31 Only. Zero points.

Your upgrade bar gains either the <crew> or <illicit> upgrade slot.

In and of itself, that's not great, though a second crew would really help the Firespray in both factions, and double illicits are likely to be much more powerful with Jabba on the table. But if you combine it with a couple of other cards...

Illicit. Fake Transponder. 1 point. Scum Only. You may equip up to two titles, paying only the squad point cost of the most expensive title.

Title. Unearthed. 2 points. At the start of the combat phase, you may perform a free jam action. You may perform this action even if you have up to one stress token.

Between them, these cards give new life to most of the firesprays. Emon gets the torpedo slot and the extra bomb slots so he can carry diverse bombs and still use EM - Boba Fett would also probably love this combo given how much he likes being in amongst the baddies (or of he wants to use his Imperial ability to decide precisely where he wants to drop his bombs). Kath gets an extra crew slot so she can use tail gunner, which she desperately wants, and Dengar, or 4-LOM or any of the other great scum crew. A 35 point Imperial firespray suddenly becomes a quasi stresshog, and a viable wingmate for something like a Raclo, or you spring for an ion cannon Krassis with this title for a real control ship.

The only question I have is whether Fake Transponder restricts FFG too much if it's just Scum Only, as opposed to Firespray only.

Edited by MacchuWA

There has been a lot of discussion about the Firespray recently this is the 3rd thread I've seen in the last 2 weeks. I'll stick to what I've been saying.

Suffers from a bad rail when compared to the lancer it is clearly over coated in the rail.

So fixes should address its maneuverability or its cost, adding a barrel roll as a second free action and take a stress token could work as a title. Or a title that knocks off the cannon slot and drops point cost.

Also I'm sorry retire the Imp version if scum was a faction at launch the Firespray would have been scum only anyways.

Played a game tonight with my firespray against two jump masters and a party bus.  I lost due to some bad luck on my part, but what really bugged me is being reminded once again not only how amazing the jumpmaster is for the points, but how huge the gap between it and the firespray is.  Much has been said about it's cost, great dial, native barrel roll, etc, but really the astromech slot makes a big difference as well.  Whether it's overclocked, or unhinged, or pain bot.  They all really add to the ship.  I definitely wouldn't mind the firespray getting an astromech slot.

There's so many great combos you could make on the firespray if it just had a few more upgrade slots.  However whatever they add would need to be free or heavily discounted as the ship is overpriced currently as is.

Look at the SF.  Add a mangler, a shield, and hull. 10pts and a large base and you have the firespray. That's silly.  And the SF only really gets flown with amazing named pilot abilities  while the imperial firespray has some of the worst pilot abilities in the game.

It's at least 2pts too much and missing EPTs for each pilot that doesn't have one (scum or imperial) and even then it would still just be meh.  I'd look at the mod slot and give it big adjustments.

Prison Transport, reduce cost:  You gain a second crew slot and add boost to your action bar. Increase your hull by 2 and reduce your primary by 1.

Military Outfitting: Remove Cannon, gain 1 shield, gain BR.  Increase primary to 4.

Imperial Contractor: reduce cost- you may equip Scum only crew.  Gain an illicit and tech or systems slot.  May fire secondaries out of either arc. 

1 hour ago, Rakky Wistol said:

Look at the SF.  Add a mangler, a shield, and hull. 10pts and a large base and you have the firespray. That's silly.  And the SF only really gets flown with amazing named pilot abilities  while the imperial firespray has some of the worst pilot abilities in the game.

It's at least 2pts too much and missing EPTs for each pilot that doesn't have one (scum or imperial) and even then it would still just be meh.  I'd look at the mod slot and give it big adjustments.

Prison Transport, reduce cost:  You gain a second crew slot and add boost to your action bar. Increase your hull by 2 and reduce your primary by 1.

Military Outfitting: Remove Cannon, gain 1 shield, gain BR.  Increase primary to 4.

Imperial Contractor: reduce cost- you may equip Scum only crew.  Gain an illicit and tech or systems slot.  May fire secondaries out of either arc. 

I like the military outfitting, but I think it should also remove some more upgrades, like crew for example.

17 hours ago, gamblertuba said:

I have been a part of the Cult of the Fett since 1980 or so.  Love the Firespray but have never been able to make it work on the table.  Lancer-class just plain outclasses it.  The addition of Jabba made me wonder if an extra crew seat would be a useful addition to the one of the oddest looking ships in any galaxy.  Fluff-wise (and spatial reasoning-wise) there isn't much reason to restrict the Firespray to only 1 crew.  Scum have so many good crew options as well.  If a Palp-Spray seems too crazy, just make it scum only.  Not sure what slot to put it in.

What would help the Firespray the most?

1. An extra crew slot.
  2. The ability to ignore small-ship only limitations.
  3. More green maneuvers.
  4. Nonsense, it's a perfectly fine ship...  fly better... kids today don't know how good they have it...  the tournament scene is killing x-wing...   just fly for fun...  mumble mumble crutch nerf etc. etc....
  1. Could help but I think we will laugh at the idea of Jabba the Hutt being squished inside.
  2. How would you do that? Now you could make a Firespray-31 only modification that copies what a small ship upgrade card but to make a universal exception for a single ship seems a little confusing. It is bad enough we now have Pen and Ink erratas changing the words on our cards without changing the words.
  3. Or something similar to the Millennium Falcon (Heroes tile) How about when revealing a 2 <LTrun> or <RTurn> maneuver you may Execute a 2 <LT-roll> or <RT-roll> in the same corresponding direction. 
  4. You can't really say old ships are good they just need to be flown better because maneuver creep has set in to open up the design space so we don't have overlapping and identical dials. So old ships naturally have a less of a maneuver profile than newer ships because of the newer maneuvers that haven't been made yet.
Edited by Marinealver

I think Scum Boba is very close. I've been using him recently with mind link and EU, would have added 4lom but ran out of points and unfortunately that's where I think the problem is. Point's reduction may be the easy/boring  way but as it's stands I think it's too expensive to build a list with 3 solid ships and not good enough for a 2 ship list. Happy to be proven wrong though!! 

Here's my ideas:

Slave 1 - Title - Scum Only
Your upgrade bar gains the {torp} and {system} upgrade slots.

Slave 1 - Title - Imperial Only
Your upgrade bar gains the {torp} and {system} upgrade slots.
All {torp}, {missile}, {system} and {modification} upgrade cards for this ship have their cost reduced by 2, to a minimum of 0.

Modification - Firespray 31 Only - 2 point
Pursuit Thrusters
After you perform a speed 1 or 2 move, if you did not bump you may perform a free boost action. 

System Upgrade - Firespray 31 Only - 2 points
Frequency Jammer
When an enemy ship within range 1 to 2 of you would receive a focus or evade token from another friendly ship, they must also receive a stress token.

System Upgrade - 1 point
Point Defense Array 
When defending against a {torp} or {missile}, if the attacker is within your firing arc and within range 2 - 3, you may roll a number of evade dice equal to the secondary weapons attack value.

(Whilst I appreciate that it has taken so long to get missiles and torps up to snuff, I think this would work on the Firespray. Also, range 1 clusters, prockets, Adv. Protons and Rhymer still work.)

EPT - 3 points
No good to me dead
At the start of the planning phase, assign the "No Good to me Dead" condition card to one enemy unique ship. 

No Good to me Dead - Condition Card
When attacking a ship assigned this condition card, you may re-roll up to two attack dice.

When the ship assigned this condition card is destroyed, you may use the ability listed on that pilot card.

Edited by Viktus106
Hit enter by accident.

Slave 1. When you bumb an ostacle, you can execute a free barrel roll (even if stressed).

I like to see the Firespray dodgefighting between asteroids, as Jango done into the movie.

6 minutes ago, Cerve said:

Slave 1. When you bumb an ostacle, you can execute a free barrel roll (even if stressed).

I like to see the Firespray dodgefighting between asteroids, as Jango done into the movie.

This is a neat idea:

WHen you execute a manoeuvre, if you overlap an obstacle you may perfom a free barrel roll before the 'check pilot stress' step.  Your barrel rolls can cross and end on obstacles.

You still skip your action and take damage from rocks, but you avoid the damage and stress form debris entirely, if you can get off of it.

Moe musing. . . 

Maybe if FFG releases some 1 point crew cards using the missing Firepray pilots?

Imperial:
Krassis - 1 point
You may perform {cannon} upgrade attacks out of your aux arc

Kath - 1 point
Imperial = ?
Scum - ?

Scum:
Amon - 1 point
May spend a focus token to modify Cluster or Proximity bomb damage.
(That may be a little too powerful.)

5 hours ago, Marinealver said:
  1. Could help but I think we will laugh at the idea of Jabba the Hutt being squished inside.
  2. How would you do that? Now you could make a Firespray-31 only modification that copies what a small ship upgrade card but to make a universal exception for a single ship seems a little confusing. It is bad enough we now have Pen and Ink erratas changing the words on our cards without changing the words.
  3. Or something similar to the Millennium Falcon (Heroes tile) How about when revealing a 2 <LTrun> or <RTurn> maneuver you may Execute a 2 <LT-roll> or <RT-roll> in the same corresponding direction. 
  4. You can't really say old ships are good they just need to be flown better because maneuver creep has set in to open up the design space so we don't have overlapping and identical dials. So old ships naturally have a less of a maneuver profile than newer ships because of the newer maneuvers that haven't been made yet.
  1. I think the interior volume of the Firespray is probably comparable to the YV-666.  It's huge.  You could almost fit an A-wing in the "cockpit" area.  It's actually Jabba that got me rolling on the whole idea.  Planting his fat butt in a Firespray might be fun.
  2. A new card that says: "You may equip small ship only modification, [illicit] or [elite] upgrades."  Not sure what slot to put that in though.  Probably a mod that also allows another mod?  It does get clunky but it allows for some really nice options without writing a whole lot of new cards.
  3. I like the ideas of Tallon Rolls on the Firespray.
  4. Won't stop a lot of folks.  You say something along the lines of this might be too strong or that could use a buff and they come running.  Just wanted to get ahead of it a bit. 

7 hours ago, markcsoul said:

Played a game tonight with my firespray against two jump masters and a party bus.  I lost due to some bad luck on my part, but what really bugged me is being reminded once again not only how amazing the jumpmaster is for the points, but how huge the gap between it and the firespray is.  Much has been said about it's cost, great dial, native barrel roll, etc, but really the astromech slot makes a big difference as well.  Whether it's overclocked, or unhinged, or pain bot.  They all really add to the ship.  I definitely wouldn't mind the firespray getting an astromech slot.

There's so many great combos you could make on the firespray if it just had a few more upgrade slots.  However whatever they add would need to be free or heavily discounted as the ship is overpriced currently as is.

Scum REALLY Deserves more ship which can use their Astromechs.

Scum Kath with tailgunner, dampners and EPT of choice seems really solid.  Scum Fett with AB seems brutal as well.  With blocking support these pilots seem to be sadly overlooked for very little reason.  And of course 3 cheap bombs on azameen is always fun, he just lacks a scummie bomber crew.

IMP firesprays need the help, and there's plenty of suggestions here that seem to work well.  The question is how do we get the fixes out there?  (I say Slave one title FAQd to include b-roll, and Maneuvering fins FAQd to work on Firespray but turning banks into turns and giving the Firespray that hard one)