Sign in to follow this  
Alzer

New Canon Literature **SPOILER WARNING**

It would be a start to a new trilogy after this. The take down the first order and secure the galaxy only to find out something more terrifying lurks in the dark. And queue the music and fleet battles and a handful of jedi trained by Rey and the arrival of some expected (Chiss) allies to help save the day, but not before all hope seems lost.

**** auto correct.

Edited by fistfulofforce

2 minutes ago, thecactusman17 said:

I have finally picked up Thrawn, and plan to read it on the airborn portions of my upcoming vacation.  Question:  Do I need to / should I see any of Rebels to understand what's going on?  If so, is there an abridged viewing order?

Most of the 3rd season (not quite all, but most) would be good enough - since it showcases the Grand Admiral from that point on.

Otherwise, you can basically read synopsis and backgrounds to get you to that point, just so you kinda know the characters.

3 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

Most of the 3rd season (not quite all, but most) would be good enough - since it showcases the Grand Admiral from that point on.

Otherwise, you can basically read synopsis and backgrounds to get you to that point, just so you kinda know the characters.

I know that there are major plot developments in seasons 1 and 2, and I've got no inherent issue with watching them.  I just don't often have or make much time available for TV.  I'm wondering more if there's anything like this for Rebels:

On 5/29/2017 at 0:32 AM, thecactusman17 said:

I know that there are major plot developments in seasons 1 and 2, and I've got no inherent issue with watching them.  I just don't often have or make much time available for TV.  I'm wondering more if there's anything like this for Rebels:

That shouldn't be entirely  necessary. Thrawn ends at the precice moment before he is introduced in Rebels. I'll try to think of what important plot eps you should check though

On May 29, 2017 at 1:32 AM, thecactusman17 said:

Creating a list for Rebels is difficult as they usually infuse a bunch of character development into every episode, and therefore if you really care about the Ghost Crew then you sort've should watch them all. However there are a few important arcs so for story purposes its possible so i'll give it a shot.

Please other Rebels fans, if you disagree with a choice let me know cause I think it'd be cool to get a sort've definitive list. NOTE: THIS IS ONLY IF YOU INTEND TO NOT WATCH THE ENTIRE SERIES. THIS IS ABOUT STORY NOT QUALITY. (sorry for all caps :P)

Green = Must Watch

Orange = Could Watch (Skippable and you'll still understand the main story but I think adds enough to the main arc to watch if you have the time)

Red = Skip

**= Thrawn's In Episode

Season One:

101 & 102 Spark of Rebellion

103 Droids in Distress 

104 Fighter Flight

105 Rise of the Old Masters

106 Breaking Ranks

107 Out of Darkness

108 Empire Day

109 Gathering Forces 

110 Path of the Jedi

111 Idiot's Array

112 Vision of Hope

113 Call to Action

114 Rebel Resolve

115 Fire Across the Galaxy

Season 2

201 & 202 The Siege of Lothal

203 The Lost Commanders

204 Relics of the Old Republic

205 Always Two There Are

206 Brothers of the Broken Horn

207 Wings of the Master

208 Blood Sisters 

209 Stealth Strike

210 The Future of the Force

211 Legacy 

212 A Princess on Lothal

213 The Protector of the Concord Dawn

214 Legends of the Lasat

215 The Call

216 Homecoming

217 The Honorable Ones

218 Shroud of Darkness

219 The Forgotten Droid

220 The Mystery of Chopper Base

221 & 222 Twilight of the Apprentice

Season 3

301 & 302 Steps Into Shadow **

303 The Holocrons of Fate

304 The Antilles Extraction 

305 Hera's Heroes **

306 The Last Battle

307 Imperial Super Commandos

308 Iron Squadron **

309 The Wynkathu Job

310 An Inside Man **

311 Visions and Voices

312 & 313 Ghosts of Geonosis

314 Warhead **

315 Trials of the Darksaber

316 Legacy of Mandalore

317 Through Imperial Eyes **

318 Secret Cargo **

319 Double Agent Droid 

320 Twin Suns

321 & 322 Zero Hour **

Edited by Forresto

On 4/2/2017 at 11:29 PM, Alzer said:

I was honestly blown away by Lost Stars. The depth they went into with the conflict between the characters as well as the societal impacts they explored was terrific. Battles were a bit flat at times.  

Me too. The final few chapters were quite something, and I loved the characters and their maturing throughout the book.

Necro-ing this to say that we got a few new Canon items in Inferno Squad:

Raider canonized at 150 meters (if it's length hadn't been canonized already)

Armament canonized as: ion cannons, dual heavy laser cannons, concussion missiles, and turbolasers (inb4 FFG gib red dice pls)

Also, not sure if the cross-sections counts as Canon, so I won't put that in yet.

12 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

The new ones, yes.  Anything publicised post 2014 essentially, unless specifically stated as non-canon or "legends"

Dang, I didn't get a look at the publish date. I'll see if I can find it online.

Edit: Publish date July 2013. So no, not Canon.

Edited by ianediger

I just finished reading Thrawn, and I thought it was a let down as well - even without taking the original series into consideration. My complaint is that the material from other sources, like Rebels, X-Wing, and Armada, (characters, spacecraft, etc.) that were included seemed like the reference was shoehorned in for the sake of making the reference - I can understand this happening in a childrens book, but it really is inexcusable in anything of a higher reading level.

On 01/08/2017 at 1:57 PM, Drasnighta said:

Basically, the Force Awakens Cross Sections is Canon.

Any older Cross Sections are not.

Anything Newer than Force Awakens is as well.

Yup. Complete Locations, despite not being called "X Cross Sections" is all about cross-sections, not of starships but buildings, bases, etc. And was properly updated to the newcanon - so the reprinted version is canon, despite the images themselves vastly predating Disney's takeover.