RedSixStandingBy

Any chance FFG publishes campaigns?

5 hours ago, spacelion said:

I bet ya every time FFG dev sits down , opens up the HOTAC , spends a week wondering how he / she can top it, and inevitably breaks down crying. And then they get mad and start throwing nerfs around to compensate.

I doubt they have the time to sit down other than putting together artwork, sculpting models (CGI of course), and play testing the next couple of waves. Plus the new movie is coming up and I am sure there are at least two ships they have to have ready around the same time as the second trailer is released. So I doubt they have the time right now. They probably have heard or look at it, said that looks pretty good, and back to the work they already have in front of them.

Oh, I did totally forget that Shuttle Tydirium is going to run a one day Narrative event at GenCon.   After that, the rules will be online for anyone to play with.   It will be 4 rounds of different missions where there is one Rebel attack and one Imperial attack.  Rules for drafting pilots and having a hanger of possible pilot/ships.  Upgrade generics into uniques.  Each unique is...unique, so if they die, they are dead.  It will be set up so that a TO can run it or two buddies in a basement can just do it on their own.   

12 hours ago, spacelion said:

I bet ya every time FFG dev sits down , opens up the HOTAC , spends a week wondering how he / she can top it, and inevitably breaks down crying. And then they get mad and start throwing nerfs around to compensate.

In which case, they need to sign the designer to a licensing deal and start running with that ball.  Seriously, the guy who made HOTAC obviously loves the game.  Toss him $10K-$20K and get to work! :)

Edited by RedSixStandingBy

22 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

Oh, I did totally forget that Shuttle Tydirium is going to run a one day Narrative event at GenCon.   After that, the rules will be online for anyone to play with.   It will be 4 rounds of different missions where there is one Rebel attack and one Imperial attack.  Rules for drafting pilots and having a hanger of possible pilot/ships.  Upgrade generics into uniques.  Each unique is...unique, so if they die, they are dead.  It will be set up so that a TO can run it or two buddies in a basement can just do it on their own.   

Are there details for this in a podcast?

7 minutes ago, RedSixStandingBy said:

In which case, they need to sign the designer to a licensing deal and start running with that ball.  Seriously, the guy who made HOTAC obviously loves the game.  Toss him $10K-$20K and get to work! :)

Josh said at first he would have loved for them to buy HotAC from him, but now it is such a labor of love that he doesn't want to sell. He said perhaps the mechanics but not the actual campaign. He is very busy with his full time job working in game design so he said that v0.8 is in the works but still has a awhile to go until release.

I love HotAC, but I am an Imperial player and I would like to see a campaign that allows people to pick a faction and play against each other or have it more like IA where both sides are leveling up.

Just now, Cusm said:

Josh said at first he would have loved for them to buy HotAC from him, but now it is such a labor of love that he doesn't want to sell. He said perhaps the mechanics but not the actual campaign. He is very busy with his full time job working in game design so he said that v0.8 is in the works but still has a awhile to go until release.

I love HotAC, but I am an Imperial player and I would like to see a campaign that allows people to pick a faction and play against each other or have it more like IA where both sides are leveling up.

A big roger on all of that.  I wouldn't expect the, to license the campaign itself, but rather the system.  The campaign itself is awesome, and I could understand not wanting to let that go.  But it would be terrific to have a bunch of these released, not unlike the campaign settings for Imperial Assault, or the new Armada campaign.  Ideally, I'd love to be able to play each campaign from either perspective.  I enjoy playing both Rebels and Imperials. I'm not that interested in Scum, but my game buddy is, so it works out perfectly.   FFG could include not only unique tokens and templates, but could even include some unique models and cards. 

27 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Are there details for this in a podcast?

We have leaked out a little bit, but I can probably tell you all that we are allowed to tell you now.  It's all subject to change based on balancing due to this being in draft right now.  

The event is in the GenCon catalog for that Saturday as an all day event (14 hours).  It will have 40 slots.  There will be prize support.  There will be 2 factions: Rebels and Imperials.  You can play Scum for either faction.  We encourage you to bring 2 hangers for either faction as we don't know about team balance.  If you do bring 2 lists and are open, we will give you preference in the draft. 

Each player will get around 200 pts to select a hanger of generic ships and upgrades.  You don't have to assign upgrades to specific ships.  No Uniques.  For example, you can take 3 Scyks and then 3 Light Scyk titles, 3 Heavy Scyk titles, 3 Mangler Cannons, and 3 Ion Cannons that can all be used with those ships for different missions at different times.    The missions will be released before the event, but hopefully not enough time to "break" them and build a winning hanger.  

Next, you get a list of 10 Uniques that you want.  This includes pilots, crew, titles, etc.  There will only ever be one of each unique in the entire event.  If they die, they are dead for the rest of the event.  If you take Biggs...and Biggs dies....he's dead forever.  You don't even have to specify which version.  So, Sabine can mean either crew or pilot.  Once all factions are determined, you randomize everyone, giving those who brought 2 lists a higher spot than those that didn't.  Starting at #1, they get the first unique on their list.  Move down the line.  If that unique is taken, you move to 2nd slot.  You can only pick a unique if you have a generic of that type in the list.   So, no picking Inquisitor if you don't have a generic V1 in your hanger.  There will be (I think) some rules for generic ships for things like the ARC-170 and possibly the Aggressor (IG-88).  

When a round starts, half the faction will get assigned an offensive mission and half a defensive mission.  You get a blurb about the mission, but I don't think you get the full details.  You can trade with someone in your faction if you want.   Once you are committed, you get the mission details with all the rules and scoring.  Your score counts for yourself, but also for your team.  Each game adds to the overall total of your faction.  

If you have a generic pilot live through a match, it gets a +1 PS and "veteran" status.  If they live through two missions, they get to upgrade to any remaining unique pilots that haven't been selected or killed.  The soonest a new unique will arrive will be round 3 out of 4.  If they die, they are dead dead.  

There are a few limitations for flavor and/or balance.  They include:

• Any main story character: Luke, Han, Leia, Chewbacca, R2-D2, C-3PO, Falcon title, Vader, and the Emperor.
  • No Resistance or First Order pilots, crew, or astromechs.  Quadjumper should be fine (we think).  
  • No Tie Phantoms as they just ruin missions.
  • No TLT's as they are just too powerful for missions with lots of generics.  
  • No Royal Guard titles as why would the Royal Guards be out guarding a depot?   

There might be some more, but we shall see.

So far the missions are being play tested with the idea of breaking them.  Phil is making the missions and we are trying to break them.  There are some that have already been changed a bunch as they needed to be tweaked.  We are actively trying to build a fun and balanced mission.   If they aren't balanced, it will just be a non-event.   The missions give points for killing ships, so we don't want "suicide syndrome" of pilots just destroying their lists to complete the objective.  That means you need to succeed without losing too many resources.  

Overall, it should be fun!  That's the main goal.  We then want to try to start a global campaign where everyone plays for a month or so and reports their games in to us to keep score of the overall victors.  

How does that sound?

Edited by heychadwick

6 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

We have leaked out a little bit, but I can probably tell you all that we are allowed to tell you now.  It's all subject to change based on balancing due to this being in draft right now.  

The event is in the GenCon catalog for that Saturday as an all day event (14 hours).  It will have 40 slots.  There will be prize support.  There will be 2 factions: Rebels and Imperials.  You can play Scum for either faction.  We encourage you to bring 2 hangers for either faction as we don't know about team balance.  If you do bring 2 lists and are open, we will give you preference in the draft. 

Each player will get around 200 pts to select a hanger of generic ships and upgrades.  You don't have to assign upgrades to specific ships.  No Uniques.  For example, you can take 3 Scyks and then 3 Light Scyk titles, 3 Heavy Scyk titles, 3 Mangler Cannons, and 3 Ion Cannons that can all be used with those ships for different missions at different times.    The missions will be released before the event, but hopefully not enough time to "break" them and build a winning hanger.  

Next, you get a list of 10 Uniques that you want.  This includes pilots, crew, titles, etc.  There will only ever be one of each unique in the entire event.  If they die, they are dead for the rest of the event.  If you take Biggs...and Biggs dies....he's dead forever.  You don't even have to specify which version.  So, Sabine can mean either crew or pilot.  Once all factions are determined, you randomize everyone, giving those who brought 2 lists a higher spot than those that didn't.  Starting at #1, they get the first unique on their list.  Move down the line.  If that unique is taken, you move to 2nd slot.  You can only pick a unique if you have a generic of that type in the list.   So, no picking Inquisitor if you don't have a generic V1 in your hanger.  There will be (I think) some rules for generic ships for things like the ARC-170 and possibly the Aggressor (IG-88).  

When a round starts, half the faction will get assigned an offensive mission and half a defensive mission.  You get a blurb about the mission, but I don't think you get the full details.  You can trade with someone in your faction if you want.   Once you are committed, you get the mission details with all the rules and scoring.  Your score counts for yourself, but also for your team.  Each game adds to the overall total of your faction.  

If you have a generic pilot live through a match, it gets a +1 PS and "veteran" status.  If they live through two missions, they get to upgrade to any remaining unique pilots that haven't been selected or killed.  The soonest a new unique will arrive will be round 3 out of 4.  If they die, they are dead dead.  

There are a few limitations for flavor and/or balance.  They include:

• Any main story character: Luke, Han, Leia, Chewbacca, R2-D2, C-3PO, Falcon title, Vader, and the Emperor.
  • No Resistance or First Order pilots, crew, or astromechs.  Quadjumper should be fine (we think).  
  • No Tie Phantoms as they just ruin missions.
  • No TLT's as they are just too powerful for missions with lots of generics.  
  • No Royal Guard titles as why would the Royal Guards be out guarding a depot?   

There might be some more, but we shall see.

So far the missions are being play tested with the idea of breaking them.  Phil is making the missions and we are trying to break them.  There are some that have already been changed a bunch as they needed to be tweaked.  We are actively trying to build a fun and balanced mission.   If they aren't balanced, it will just be a non-event.   The missions give points for killing ships, so we don't want "suicide syndrome" of pilots just destroying their lists to complete the objective.  That means you need to succeed without losing too many resources.  

Overall, it should be fun!  That's the main goal.  We then want to try to start a global campaign where everyone plays for a month or so and reports their games in to us to keep score of the overall victors.  

How does that sound?

There will be AWESOME prize support.  The top-scoring player is going home with combatzone scenery's asteroid base.  And we have lots more on top of that.