Sorastro

Sorastro's Painting

Hey Sorastro, or whoever else can share ideas, have you already gave some thought about potential color schemes for the elves and the - inevitable - Uthuk? I really like your Daqan army with its red base color, but just yesterday I stumbled over my Battlelore Uthuk and their predominat (and rather fitting) color is red, as well! 

I fear I might regret "wasting" this tone for my Daqan, because even a different shade of red might be too similar and the two armies might blend together too much. But I'm having a hard time coming up with a different paint scheme for the Uthuk.  

And no, I don't want to discuss here whether or not we'll see the Uthuk in RWTMG at all... This is simply not an option... ;-) 

1 hour ago, SirWillibald said:

Hey Sorastro, or whoever else can share ideas, have you already gave some thought about potential color schemes for the elves and the - inevitable - Uthuk? I really like your Daqan army with its red base color, but just yesterday I stumbled over my Battlelore Uthuk and their predominat (and rather fitting) color is red, as well! 

For Latari Elves, I would love to see an Autumn Legion scheme with the same brown leather, but with yellows, oranges, and reds instead of green.

For the Uthuk, I have a hard time imagining something other than red. Orange and yellow will look strange against their skin tone, (unless you do dark skin tones, in which case orange could look very nice). But you could perhaps do a vibrant red for the Daqan and a dried-blood red for the Uthuk.

1 hour ago, SirWillibald said:

And no, I don't want to discuss here whether or not we'll see the Uthuk in RWTMG at all... This is simply not an option... ;-) 

There is already an organized play poster featuring the Uthuk, they mentioned at a convention this year that 2 new factions were coming this year with a picture showing Latari and Uthuk in the background, and the Essentials pack shows the Uthuk Y'llan on the box along with the Latari Elves. Rest assured, that it is not a case of if they release, but when.

1 hour ago, Budgernaut said:

For Latari Elves, I would love to see an Autumn Legion scheme with the same brown leather, but with yellows, oranges, and reds instead of green.

I'm going doing an Autumn scheme on my Daqan.  Dark green armor, leather gloves and boots, trim around shields and horse barding is a reddish-orange, and then cloaks are a dark yellow.  ^_^  then thinking of trying to glue some moss flock on the golems arms and legs to kind of look like Bastion from Overwatch's intro video of him.

3 hours ago, SirWillibald said:

I fear I might regret "wasting" this tone for my Daqan, because even a different shade of red might be too similar and the two armies might blend together too much. But I'm having a hard time coming up with a different paint scheme for the Uthuk.  

Hi SirWillibald!  I'm with Muzz and had purple in mind for my Uthuk (as I didn't use it up on my undead) :)

I think one of the tough choices to make about the Uthuk is that the red scheme is not just a cloth choice -- it is also the color of their demon friends (especially flesh rippers). So if you do purple for the cloth, does that mean the demons will be purple as well?

Hmm. Purple might actually work (for the "skin" parts, have to pick something fitting for the cloth), a quick google search came up with those two guys (not actually Uthuks, just some generic demons, like them or not):

unbena10.jpg

Edited by SirWillibald

@Sorastro

Greetings,

I am loving the Rune Golem tutorial as I progress on my model.

If we desire to paint our Daqan infantry in the same scheme, what color primer do your recommend -- black or grey? Sometimes with smaller human-size models I go darker regardless.  but I'd love to hear from you on this.  Your thoughts?

On 5/10/2017 at 9:17 AM, Muz333 said:

I think my Uthuk will be pink or purple. ?

Check out tutorials for painting "pink horrors" or "screamers of Tzeentch" on youtube.  They could look amazing and fun so long as you wisely choose the color of your fabric and other aspects.  Blends of purple, even better.  Try "Daemonettes of Slaanesh" for some lovely recipes as well.

Edited by Blutsteigen

19 hours ago, Blutsteigen said:

@Sorastro

Greetings,

I am loving the Rune Golem tutorial as I progress on my model.

If we desire to paint our Daqan infantry in the same scheme, what color primer do your recommend -- black or grey? Sometimes with smaller human-size models I go darker regardless.  but I'd love to hear from you on this.  Your thoughts?

Hi Blutsteigen!

I personally went with black followed with a zenithal preshade applied from above.  If I was just using one colour then I think black or grey would both be fine :) (PS you can find my PDF painting guide for the infantry here if you're interested: https://sorastro.com/2017/04/13/runewars-quick-painting-guide/

1 hour ago, Sorastro said:

Hi Blutsteigen!

I personally went with black followed with a zenithal preshade applied from above.  If I was just using one colour then I think black or grey would both be fine :) (PS you can find my PDF painting guide for the infantry here if you're interested: https://sorastro.com/2017/04/13/runewars-quick-painting-guide/

Thank you so much Sorastro!

Judging by the voting on Patreon which is still open Sorastro won't be doing much with Runewars. Currently twice as many votes for ASOIF and Star Wars Legion is attracting heaps of votes. 

Sorastro, if you are getting elves anyway we would love a PDF guide. 

5 hours ago, Doodlebug said:

Judging by the voting on Patreon which is still open Sorastro won't be doing much with Runewars. Currently twice as many votes for ASOIF and Star Wars Legion is attracting heaps of votes. 

Sorastro, if you are getting elves anyway we would love a PDF guide. 

God I hope he doesnt paint ASOIAF.  What a mundane set of miniatures, I might have to pull my patreon donation if he does.  Keep doing IA until it's done!  See it through!

Edited by flightmaster101

7 minutes ago, flightmaster101 said:

God I hope he doesnt paint ASOIAF.  What a mundane set of miniatures, I might have to pull my patreon donation if he does.  Keep doing IA until it's done!  See it through!

Hi flightmaster!  The reason I created the survey is precisely to give you lovely patrons a voice, so the most positive way you can influence where I place my focus is by voting (if you haven't done so already).  (IA is still way ahead in case you hadn't noticed!) :) 

17 minutes ago, flightmaster101 said:

He did mention in the e-mail about the survey that he was commissioned by CMON to paint some things for the game, same way FFG had him paint some for RWM.  Remember a lot of his fan base is CMON gamers, so you have to expect there to be a push for ASOIAF...Though I think we will see much more Zombicyde and IA before that gets big...I wouldn't pull support @Sorastro is still one of the most approachable youtubers and gamers I've interacted with...

1 minute ago, jek said:

He did mention in the e-mail about the survey that he was commissioned by CMON to paint some things for the game, same way FFG had him paint some for RWM.  Remember a lot of his fan base is CMON gamers, so you have to expect there to be a push for ASOIAF...Though I think we will see much more Zombicyde and IA before that gets big...I wouldn't pull support @Sorastro is still one of the most approachable youtubers and gamers I've interacted with...

Thanks Jek! Yes - (although this probably isn't quite the right forum!) - I will most likely be producing one or two videos for ASOIAF, but no more without adequate interest from you guys. :)

@jek @Sorastro

Don't get me wrong, get yourself paid my man!  If CMON is paying for videos that is fantastic.  I totally understand their desire to get high quality tutorials as a method of enhancing their product.  My point is they are all humans will 2 sets of uniforms.  So the techniques used will be the same or at the very least not very diverse.  If they throw dragons in the game I would love to see the techniques and process of something completely different.  That's why I like the IA paints personally, the range of figures lends itself to the teaching of many techniques from metallic dry brushing to wet blending and beyond.

2 minutes ago, flightmaster101 said:

@jek @Sorastro

Don't get me wrong, get yourself paid my man!  If CMON is paying for videos that is fantastic.  I totally understand their desire to get high quality tutorials as a method of enhancing their product.  My point is they are all humans will 2 sets of uniforms.  So the techniques used will be the same or at the very least not very diverse.  If they throw dragons in the game I would love to see the techniques and process of something completely different.  That's why I like the IA paints personally, the range of figures lends itself to the teaching of many techniques from metallic dry brushing to wet blending and beyond.

That does it - I'm setting "The Mountain" on you! :D 

..but seriously. I actually think they've done a nice job on the sculpts with ASOIAF (moderated by GRRMartin himself), but I do agree there will be a lot of colour and textural repetition within each force, which is why I thought just one or two videos would be adequate to help people get going on their minis :)