Sorastro

Sorastro's Painting

192 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Sorastro said:

..but seriously. I actually think they've done a nice job on the sculpts with ASOIAF (moderated by GRRMartin himself), but I do agree there will be a lot of colour and textural repetition within each force, which is why I thought just one or two videos would be adequate to help people get going on their minis :)

See now you are getting into wrong forum territory...lol...This game, isn't my cup of tea and while I would be hard pressed to deny the models are well designed, I don't think they are interesting...I have never been a fan of historical mini's games and this one has the look and feel of those types of games...so if I could I would create more Patreon accounts to skew votes away from this towards games I'm interested in but since I can't...I will just continue to ask you for examples of what I want to do that you might have covered in your many videos...

Sorastro and flightmaster101 like this

I should have asked Sorastro for advice before I quickly painted a red reanimate before my nightshift today. Really wasn't happy with the contrast, I tried to do a dark metal by mixing leadbelcher and abandon black, only the brass chain mail and dark brown leather didn't pop against it. I wonder if using a black spray primer caused the colours to be a bit on the dull side, that or I added too much wash. It was my first time trying to paint something that wasn't following Sorastro's Imperial Assault video tutorials as I'm still very new to painting.

I'm starting over tomorrow by buying the paints I'm missing to steal his Daqan colour scheme. If that works out I'm going to start binging all the Waiqar units. Although I'm not sure if using red as my main colour will make for silly looking wraiths?

1 hour ago, Muz333 said:

I should have asked Sorastro for advice before I quickly painted a red reanimate before my nightshift today. Really wasn't happy with the contrast, I tried to do a dark metal by mixing leadbelcher and abandon black, only the brass chain mail and dark brown leather didn't pop against it. I wonder if using a black spray primer caused the colours to be a bit on the dull side, that or I added too much wash. It was my first time trying to paint something that wasn't following Sorastro's Imperial Assault video tutorials as I'm still very new to painting.

I'm starting over tomorrow by buying the paints I'm missing to steal his Daqan colour scheme. If that works out I'm going to start binging all the Waiqar units. Although I'm not sure if using red as my main colour will make for silly looking wraiths?

The thing about making darks pop is actually to highlight past where you think you need too.  Take the Game of thrones Queens guard from season 7.  That would be black highlighted all the way up to white because of its reflectivity.  

The key is taking the techniques from the videos and applying them.  My best example would be how S's Vader vid shows you can make black plastic armor pop against black leather.  In both cases the highlights are taken to the point of a beginner's discomfort, but it works.

Luck to you my friend!

Muz333 likes this

2 hours ago, flightmaster101 said:

Ok @Sorastro Here's one for you.

What colors would you use to make this scheme happen?

black_blue_latari.png

The purple looks like a blue violet/genestealer purple imo.  the grey highlighted up to something close to celeestra.  The bow similar shades but closer to white side spectrum. 

That's a pretty great paint scheme actually.  Not sure I'd want to slap that down 48 or so times though.  TOO MUCH HAIR AND SKIN.

Only thing stopping me from buying Elves right now :angry:

2 hours ago, Xargonaut said:

Where is that picture from?

That is the standard FFG promo photo from the latari article photoshopped to change the colors.

Muz333 likes this

7 hours ago, flightmaster101 said:

That is the standard FFG promo photo from the latari article photoshopped to change the colors.

Haha, nice.

https://ibb.co/ksQHOa

https://ibb.co/du843a

Well, that's the first skeleton done prior to a coat of varnish and basing. It's not great but hey, as someone new to painting I'm happy enough with how it looks at a distance compared to unpainted plastic.

I'm open to all criticism and advice on how to improve it before I lay down the varnish.

Edited by Muz333

Looks great @Muz333. No need to change a thing. I might push the eye glow effect to make sure it shows at a distance, but that mostly depends on your lighting situation and personal preference.

Muz333 likes this

That's a **** fine skeleton.  You've clearly got a base, shade, and at least one highlight that I can pick out.  My only suggestion would be to remember that this is a rank and file game with a ton of minis, so paint to a level, and invest the amount of time where it's still fun for you, because you're going to have hundreds more models where that came from haha

14 minutes ago, Click5 said:

That's a **** fine skeleton.  You've clearly got a base, shade, and at least one highlight that I can pick out.  My only suggestion would be to remember that this is a rank and file game with a ton of minis, so paint to a level, and invest the amount of time where it's still fun for you, because you're going to have hundreds more models where that came from haha

That's true, I stuck to three base colours, a wash and a highlight with no weathering or final touches. Something which I think can be done in bulk with hopefully not too much issues. Only another 47 reanimates to go, 32 archers, four carrion lancers, eight infantry command models, Ardus, Maro and mounted version Maro.

At which point I have all the humans to do but realistically Deathknights and Wraiths will arrive first! 😛

Click5 likes this

21 minutes ago, Contrapulator said:

Looks great @Muz333. No need to change a thing. I might push the eye glow effect to make sure it shows at a distance, but that mostly depends on your lighting situation and personal preference.

That's a good point, I'll do that and maybe add some slight extras. As in scratched metal, blood splatter and mud. Although I'm wary on spending too much time per figure when I already have enough to keep me busy for months!

1 hour ago, Click5 said:

1 highlight is a pretty low time investment, and is miles ahead of just washing over things for aesthetics.  Now I wouldn't recommend dropping a full 5 + layer on the rank and file stuff, but 3 is pretty reasonable.