Sorastro

Sorastro's Painting

192 posts in this topic

Thank you Sorastro. Always good to see you here :) I discovered you some years ago on these FFG forums. The descent II forum to be honest. Always great work coming from you. 

jek and Sorastro like this

5 minutes ago, Elrad said:

Thank you Sorastro. Always good to see you here :) I discovered you some years ago on these FFG forums. The descent II forum to be honest. Always great work coming from you. 

Thanks a lot Elrad! I really appreciate that :)

jek, Spectre 7 and Elrad like this

I just love the colour scheme you have chosen! Those spearman are amazing. I know you didn't get the interest you were hoping for in relation to this game from your supporters on Patreon (I could only vote once unfortunately) but I hope you can still provide some content for this game, I really don't want to paint it without you.

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, Sorastro said:

Thanks a lot Elrad! I really appreciate that :)

Don't mention it, You're appreciated by a lot of peoples here and elsewhere. What's more normal ? What I like with you is that you dedicate your video to us, you want to help us go into painting and provide us with so many good advices and without being like lecturing peoples but considering them as they are. You put so much work in your videos and they are clear for everyone. I painted a bit before finding your videos so I can watch your video with my experience and I learn a lot. When i've painted some stuffs, I'll post the photos here for everyone to enjoy (or to throw rotten tomatoes at) what I can actually do. Many among us will do the same and it will be great to see what we wanted to bring on the table. 

So again, thank you for your work !

Edited by Elrad
banjobenito and Sorastro like this

Just now, Doodlebug said:

I just love the colour scheme you have chosen! Those spearman are amazing. I know you didn't get the interest you were hoping for in relation to this game from your supporters on Patreon (I could only vote once unfortunately) but I hope you can still provide some content for this game, I really don't want to paint it without you.

Thanks Doodlebug!  Oh I'm going to collect and paint this game regardless - just because I love it!  Even if I only have time to produce a limited number of videos for it, I'd be happy to share the paint schemes I've used for those units that I don't manage to cover in a video (such as the infantry, cavalry etc.).  I'm working hard on the Carrion Lancer video at the moment, but I'll prepare a brief visual guide to how I've painted the other units and share it here when I get a chance. :)

Orcdruid, Doodlebug and Muz333 like this

By the way, on the official pictures they have drawn symbols on the bucklers. I thought it was transfers but it is not...did you ever painted yourself symbols on buckers ? I could not paint two times the same symbols if I tried... 

Just now, Elrad said:

By the way, on the official pictures they have drawn symbols on the bucklers. I thought it was transfers but it is not...did you ever painted yourself symbols on buckers ? I could not paint two times the same symbols if I tried... 

Good question! Yes - I did paint a shield design on one of the shields as a trial.  It looked pretty good, but to accurately reproduce it on all of them I think would have been more trouble than it was worth.  I always try to achieve the optimum effort to output ratio and for me, providing a simple gradient and a few scratches hit that sweet spot. :)

1 minute ago, jek said:

ALL HAIL THE DAQAN LORDS OF KHADOR! lol i really enjoy the red color scheme @Sorastro I'm looking forward to getting some free time to watch this video!

Ha ha -Thanks buddy :) 

24 minutes ago, Sorastro said:

Thanks Doodlebug!  Oh I'm going to collect and paint this game regardless - just because I love it!  Even if I only have time to produce a limited number of videos for it, I'd be happy to share the paint schemes I've used for those units that I don't manage to cover in a video (such as the infantry, cavalry etc.).  I'm working hard on the Carrion Lancer video at the moment, but I'll prepare a brief visual guide to how I've painted the other units and share it here when I get a chance. :)

That would be wonderful. I really enjoyed watching that video and while a few of the techniques might be a bit to advanced for me, there was a lot I can use there! Getting a list of colour choices for the spearmen would be wonderful. I really enjoyed the look for them. They had an almost Lannister feel to them.

Thanks again Sorastro, great work as always.

Sorastro likes this

Oh, I almost forgot: for anyone that doesn't use Army Painter paints, here's a brief conversion of the main colours I used for the golem video:

Army Painter to Citadel/Vallejo
ARMY PAINTER CITADEL VALLEJO
Banshee Brown Baneblade Brown + Screaming Skull Khaki (VGC 72.061) + Stonewall Grey (VGC 72.049)
Bright Gold Auric Armour Gold Polished Gold (VGC 72.055)
Castle Grey Stormvermin Fur Cold Grey (VGC 72.050)
Daemonic Yellow Flash Gitz Yellow Moon Yellow (VGC 72.005)
Filthy Cape Dawnstone Cold Grey (VGC 72.050)
Gun Metal Leadbelcher Gunmetal Grey (VMC 70.863)
Hydra Turquoise Sotek Green Turquoise (VGC 72.024)
Mars Red Wild Rider Red is pretty close. Evil Sunz Scarlet + mix in a little Yriel Yellow will give a close match. Hot Orange (VGC 72.009)
Matt Black Abaddon Black Black (VMC 70.950)
Matt White Ceramite White Dead White (VGC 72.001)
Shining Silver Stormhost Silver Silver (VMC 70.997) or Chrome (VMA 71.064)

Posted (edited)

Absolutely amazing once again. I love the little things you pick up on Sorastro, like the glow effect of the runes on the Golem. Very well done, thanks for this.

There is a way to change this... if enough RuneWars players were to sign up and voice their support it would create the demand necessary to make more videos.. just saying.. ;)

Edited by FrogTrigger

9 minutes ago, FrogTrigger said:

Absolutely amazing once again. I love the little things you pick up on Sorastro, like the glow effect of the runes on the Golem. Very well done, thanks for this.

Thanks mate - I appreciate that!  It just seemed central to the whole being of the golem that the runes had to look like they were glowing.  I struggled with the idea for a while until I made the distinction between the central head and chest runes - which I treated as the main source of light - and the other smaller channels.  The good thing is that it's actually quite an easy effect to achieve once you commit to it :)

FrogTrigger likes this

2 hours ago, Sorastro said:

Hello fellow Rune Warriors!

I'd like to share with you my first painting guide for Runewars:

I hope you like some of the ideas in the video and that they help some of you realise your own vision for your Daqan army.  Here's a couple of shots of the golem with his posse (who I gave quite a quick paint job - praise the Shades!):

I can't wait to see what other colour schemes you all come up with!

Sorastro.

@Sorastro Gr8 work Gr8 guide From a Gr8 Artist 

i

Sorastro likes this

S,

Is FFG making a move to have Army Painter be the official paints of their products?

Does this mean a change in brand to IA and Descent?

8 minutes ago, flightmaster101 said:

S,

Is FFG making a move to have Army Painter be the official paints of their products?

Does this mean a change in brand to IA and Descent?

Hi mate! FFG do have a relationship with Army Painter and Army Painter sent me a very generous "care package" of products to try out.  Whilst I was happy to include a range of AP paints in this video (their metallics are pretty excellent!) I don't think it would make sense for me to switch brands in the middle of an established series such as IA or Descent, so fear not! :)

Koder and flightmaster101 like this

Just now, Sorastro said:

Hi mate! FFG do have a relationship with Army Painter and Army Painter sent me a very generous "care package" of products to try out.  Whilst I was happy to include a range of AP paints in this video (their metallics are pretty excellent!) I don't think it would make sense for me to switch brands in the middle of an established series such as IA or Descent, so fear not! :)

Whew.

For the record I have been buying GW paints with your tutorials, but I don't have a good local source for either Val, or AP paints.  And online prices are outrageous!  So that is good to hear.

Sorastro likes this

Posted (edited)

Hey Sorastro, Im planning on painting my guys similar to this. Im wanting the gold to be a dark orangish color, but the color changer wouldn't cooperate. I will be adding more orange than this, and change the cape color. What GW colors do you recommend? I also dont like mixing colors if i can avoid it, nags me when i cant match the mix later on. Lol. 

And thanks for the videos as always!

89982B36-5920-4DA3-93EC-D14B96AEADF2-11630-00002E6E91968144.jpeg

Edited by MegaSilver
Muz333 and Sherizaahd like this

Posted (edited)

Here's a video of his painting the HK droids from IA an orangish/metallic color, spoilered for size, I personally love Troll Slayer Orange, very deep. I make notes when I mix paints so I can go back after and look to see how I did it, usually I can get it to be close enough to identical that you can't tell unless you are a few inches away.

Edited by FrogTrigger
Sorastro likes this

Sorastro,

What do you think of the idea of using Decals on the shields?  I have a custom decal system from Testors and the Sheilds of the spearment might be flat enough for decals rather than hand paint.

15 minutes ago, flightmaster101 said:

Sorastro,

What do you think of the idea of using Decals on the shields?  I have a custom decal system from Testors and the Sheilds of the spearment might be flat enough for decals rather than hand paint.

I'll be doing shield decals because I can paint fairly well, but can't freehand at all

flightmaster101 likes this