Jump to content
Hawkman2000

Future of the Game

Recommended Posts

Not to sound "doom and gloom", but what is the future of this game with Destiny in the picture? I'm having a hard time thinking FFG would run card games for both. Have they ever run similar IP games like this in the past?  

It seems unlikely both would continue and I feel as though Destiny is the nail in the coffin for SWLCG. Any thoughts? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is probably a last cycle coming because they thought Destiny was going to be a failure, so it was too early to cancel the LCG. Now that we know that Destiny is a huge success, the futur looks grim for our LCG even if we are going to get the Rogue 1 crew.

Edited by vilainn6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's true. Destiny initially was thought to be DOA based on pre-orders, so FFG might have thought they needed to devote some resources to the LCG. Now that Destiny has become huge, I don't see the role the LCG will get to play. I almost imagine the Death Star will be a good final farewell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not so fast... You forget that those two games are in different formats. I played a few CCGs in the past and spent quite a hefty sum on them, I therefore prefer LCG much more - SW LCG objective concept is also unique, deck building wise, I don't have to drag pile of dice with me around and, on top of that, I can actually BUY LCG cards and not only hear about how great CCG is because I can't actually buy those cards anywhere. When L5R comes out I'll be even able to afford both of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why should they drop a line that can easily be expanded for many years more and for which they have a paid license? It'd be like saying that X-Wing would be dropped since Armada was released. Plus, LCG and CCG are really different games, that appeal to different gamers (and to different budgets)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, how much does it really cost them to keep the game going? They re-use art across all the star wars games, so that's not a huge factor. We've suspected that they don't have a ton of staff working on the game for a while (and those who do are likely working on multiple projects). That leaves printing and shipping. The game doesn't have to be a X-Wing level huge success in order to be profitable and worth continuing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/04/2017 at 4:07 PM, dbmeboy said:

Also, how much does it really cost them to keep the game going? They re-use art across all the star wars games, so that's not a huge factor. We've suspected that they don't have a ton of staff working on the game for a while (and those who do are likely working on multiple projects). That leaves printing and shipping. The game doesn't have to be a X-Wing level huge success in order to be profitable and worth continuing. 

The other cancelled LCG would have cost less than this one to produce and they got cancelled. Let be honest one minute. SW is the less popular LCG at it's going to be worst with Destiny who is going to turn its most wealthy players towards it. When you are beated in popularity by another game wich sole purpose is to screw up the players, you deserve to be cancelled. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hide your head in the sand if you want. Others have the right to know. In fact, all the doom threads do a favor to new players and prevent them to waste money on a game they would have hard time finding players to play with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Star Wars has survived this long just fine despite being one of the less popular LCGs. Star Wars isn't losing existing players to Destiny yet either, because Destiny scratches a different itch and attracts a different crowd.

Every time Fantasy Flight has been asked if Star Wars is dying, they've always said the game's selling quite satisfactorily.

We've still got packs on the way, and they've just started exploring a new design space with these new faction cards. They're not going to add a new mechanic that cool to a game they're just going to kill.

Start worrying if they announce a new deluxe. While Game of Thrones was reborn and Conquest was killed by GW pulling the license, Invasion and CoC ended their runs on deluxe expansions. That's how natural LCG deaths happen. Even Doomtown: Reloaded died like that.

Edited by GodotIsWaiting4U

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GodotIsWaiting4U said:
6 hours ago, GodotIsWaiting4U said:

Star Wars has survived this long just fine despite being one of the less popular LCGs. Star Wars isn't losing existing players to Destiny yet either, because Destiny scratches a different itch and attracts a different crowd.

Every time Fantasy Flight has been asked if Star Wars is dying, they've always said the game's selling quite satisfactorily.

We've still got packs on the way, and they've just started exploring a new design space with these new faction cards. They're not going to add a new mechanic that cool to a game they're just going to kill.

Start worrying if they announce a new deluxe. While Game of Thrones was reborn and Conquest was killed by GW pulling the license, Invasion and CoC ended their runs on deluxe expansions. That's how natural LCG deaths happen. Even Doomtown: Reloaded died like that.

 

I dont know for you but I have seen star wars lcg players playing Destiny in my area and I am probably not the only one, so saying that the two games attracts a different crownds is not completly true. It isn't because you collect a LCG that you don't have the fund to buy booster boxes.  A lot of people play destiny because they found the game fun, not because they enjoy random packs and inflated second market prices.

FFG is not going to tell us a game isn't selling well even if it is true. That's bad marketing.

After the next cycle, FFG will have covered Hoth, Endor, Rebels, Rogue One and give us at least two copies of iconic characters of the original trilogy Unless they remove the focus on the OT, they will soon began to turn around. It would be a good moment to stop I think.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, vilainn6 said:

I dont know for you but I have seen star wars lcg players playing Destiny in my area and I am probably not the only one, so saying that the two games attracts a different crownds is not completly true. It isn't because you collect a LCG that you don't have the fund to buy booster boxes.  A lot of people play destiny because they found the game fun, not because they enjoy random packs and inflated second market prices.

FFG is not going to tell us a game isn't selling well even if it is true. That's bad marketing.

After the next cycle, FFG will have covered Hoth, Endor, Rebels, Rogue One and give us at least two copies of iconic characters of the original trilogy Unless they remove the focus on the OT, they will soon began to turn around. It would be a good moment to stop I think.   

I'm sure you've seen Star Wars LCG players playing Destiny -- after all, it's a good game -- but it's not like you see Star Wars LCG players LEAVING THE LCG to play Destiny. My point about attracting a different crowd is more that Destiny attracts a lot of people who probably wouldn't dig the LCG, as the two are very different games, but you don't see Star Wars LCG players ditching so they can play Destiny: they're far more likely to do both or just not do Destiny.

You do have a solid point about it being a good point to potentially stop, but don't forget that there's going to be a Han Solo movie in 2018, and the potential to do more Rebels content (since they've only done season 1 so far). Also, while they have mined the old EU substantially, they're nowhere near exhausting it. If they really feel pressed for content, they could always do a Force Unleashed cycle, or pull from the new canon novels. The old Han Solo Adventures and Han Solo trilogy are good places to pull from too, and there's all this new stuff in Battlefront and Aftermath about the Battle of Jakku, just 1 year after Endor. Unless the sales hit a slump, there's not a whole lot of pressing reason for them to stop.

People have been heralding the death of this game for years now. It survived the release of the last logical deluxe, which was the point of death for both Invasion and CoC. It's about to start its second full cycle since Galactic Ambitions dropped. I think it's safe to say that we just don't know what we don't know, and the best time to predict the death of the game is going to be when Fantasy Flight says the game is going to die.

Edited by GodotIsWaiting4U

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, GodotIsWaiting4U said:

That's how natural LCG deaths happen. Even Doomtown: Reloaded died like that.

DT:R had "cycles" with 3 small Saddlebags and one Pine Box. There was one situation where two pinboxes were released one after one and then another 2 cycles of 3+1 were released. Then game was stopped.

Edited by kempy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also wonder how many others there are like me: I wanted to try out Destiny, but the lack of availability led me to try out the SW LCG instead. I love it, and I've already purchased about 1/3 of the packs. (I otherwise would probably have put that money towards Destiny.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rbaker1978 said:

I also wonder how many others there are like me: I wanted to try out Destiny, but the lack of availability led me to try out the SW LCG instead. I love it, and I've already purchased about 1/3 of the packs. (I otherwise would probably have put that money towards Destiny.)

I've been playing SWLCG from the beginning, but I had a similar experience with Destiny.  I liked the game well enough but since I couldn't actually buy it I basically gave up on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like SW LCG and came into the game about 18 months ago.  Have a lot of fun playing but over the past year the local player base has gone down for sure.  Since Destiny released it has shrunk significantly near me.  

I agree that the two games scratch different itches.  I also enjoy Destiny quite a bit but with the player base for the LCG essentially gone in my area I have mostly switched to Destiny play.  

There are pro/con for each of these games and depending on your play style, local play group, free time and budget each game has some advantages over the other.  

For me it looks like Destiny is my path forward but with a yet to be announced rotation it is anyone's guess what the future holds for it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Destiny is not crap. It really fun actually. The two games are for different gamers. SWTCG is designed for more serious gamers and lovers of the LCG model. Destiny is for Star Wars fans that love to play CCG's and for new and younger Star Wars fans. Both games require a big investment to really commit, although Destiny will be more expensive in the long run. I have wanted to try SWTCG for years because I missed playing Decipher's Star Wars CCG. But I play casually at home and it is hard to get normal family members interested in such a long-involved game. So Destiny is perfect for my situation and many other like me. Plus it is loaded with theme, something I have heard SWTCG struggles with at times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the real reason Destiny may spell the doom of the Star Wars LCG is player acquisition. Destiny is a fantastic game, and its player base seems to already be far larger than the LCG even with its small time on the market in comparison.

 

Let's look at a hypothetical scenario- You are looking for a card game, and you love Star Wars. You hear there are two card games for Star Wars currently on the market that are active. You do your research and find you have the option of buying into Star Wars Destiny, which a) has the larger community, b) is the newer game and has been highly successful upon release, and c) is growing far faster than the LCG and shows no signs of stopping, meaning there is basically no worry about it dying out at the moment. Or, you can go with the LCG, which a) has a much smaller community, b) is the older of the two games, and c) is FFGs least successful expanding Star Wars game.

Even if you have the money for both, you are going to need some compelling reasons as to why the LCG deserves your money. Unless the CCG format is a deal breaker or for some reason your community has a strong taste for the LCG, you are going to be giving Destiny your first look in almost every instance. This is a very troubling point if it is true, since that means the game is not only going to be losing current players who want to be part of a larger community to Destiny, but they will be losing new players to Destiny as well.

 

The alternative thought is that Destiny is good for the LCG, as players who enjoy Destiny will get a taste for card games, and then the next step would be for them to invest in the LCG as well, allowing both games to grow.

I'm less optimistic and think Destiny will probably pull more players than it pushes, but only time will tell.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...